THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum N55 money shift over-rev inpa

04-13-2023, 12:45 PM   #1
eucalifornia
Rep
Drives: 2012 X3 35i

N55 money shift over-rev inpa

Struggling with this...Hard...Can anyone give me some instructions on how (utilizing INPA) I can find the max engine speed record?

Background: 2015 M235i with a 6 speed manual. Pretty sure it was money-shifted and spun the crank hub. I need to see the max engine speed record...But it isn't immediately apparent on how to do this with INPA.

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Appreciate 1
btb7ev0.00
      04-13-2023, 01:36 PM   #2
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Not sure this is possible. A spun crank hub on a 6MT N55 certainly sounds like a money-shift. An over-rev report won't provide much insight into potential damage. It's pretty safe to assume that in order to spin the hub, it was likely a 3rd to 2nd gear near redline shift. That means the rpms likely went to 9000+.

You can reset the hub and retime the engine and hope for the best. I'd probably scope the cylinder bores first to see if any of the pistons kissed the valves and also check the oil and oil filter for metal. If there's metal, then you're looking at rod bearings too.
      04-13-2023, 02:28 PM   #3
eucalifornia
Rep

Max engine speed record

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Not sure this is possible. A spun crank hub on a 6MT N55 certainly sounds like a money-shift. An over-rev report won't provide much insight into potential damage. It's pretty safe to assume that in order to spin the hub, it was likely a 3rd to 2nd gear near redline shift. That means the rpms likely went to 9000+.

You can reset the hub and retime the engine and hope for the best. I'd probably scope the cylinder bores first to see if any of the pistons kissed the valves and also check the oil and oil filter for metal. If there's metal, then you're looking at rod bearings too.
Thank you for replying buddy NOT looking for an overrev report (this doesn't exist). What I am looking for is the MAX ENGINE SPEED RECORD--which is definitely stored in the DME and can only be accessed by INPA.

In the past with older E models, this would probably end up in a HEXIDECIMAL format and need to be converted...Newer F/G cars would actually show the RPM's.

Once upon a time, this might have been labelled as n_h_max in the DME or it could also be found under 0x7FABCE under MEMORY and RAM in INPA--I think....This is all of the information I've been able to scrape together (rather than just asking for help).

Bottom line: this info IS in the DME and isn't something that gets erased when you (simply) clear codes. It's in non-volatile form within the DME and CAN be accessed....But only with INPA.

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 03:27 PM   #4
eucalifornia
Rep

N55 overrev report max engine speed inpa

I will pay someone $500 cash if they can get me an overrev report for this car....In the Los Angeles area. Please message me.
Appreciate 0