THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Springs and Koni Yellows?

07-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Springs and Koni Yellows?

Has anyone used this combo on the track instead of cool overs? I'm thinking of going this rout because the adjustability of the dampers is more important to me than ride height.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #2
Ace604
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Just ordered this combo last week for autox/ track applications. Will update you when I test them out.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2015, 09:15 PM   #3
hoppy6698
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i, Estoril Blue on Black

Just placed my own pricing inquiry, using HR springs over Koni yellows. It is sounding closer to the simpler setup I want, with coding out the EDC as well. If I do pull the trigger, will put up a review once installed and driven.
      07-17-2015, 04:44 AM   #4
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Awesome. Thanks for the input. This is looking like the direction I'm going as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 05:32 AM   #5
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

The only thing to track down now are some good camber plates to use. I contacted Ground Control as they offer them for the F30 chassis that looks like it has the same mounting bolts (3) as we have. I will update when they get back to me.

The other option I'm looking at is the KW V3's as they offer the lifetime warranty. I wanted the 2 Way Clubsports but they don't offer a warranty as they are race spec parts. I'm doing suspension first.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
The only thing to track down now are some good camber plates to use. I contacted Ground Control as they offer them for the F30 chassis that looks like it has the same mounting bolts (3) as we have. I will update when they get back to me.

The other option I'm looking at is the KW V3's as they offer the lifetime warranty. I wanted the 2 Way Clubsports but they don't offer a warranty as they are race spec parts. I'm doing suspension first.
Check the track forums. ketema and I have had some issues with Ground Control that were sorted out. If you want GC's camber plates, contact them directly (phone or email -- ask for Donovan) and ask for the new F22 camber plates with the spherical bearing. Don't get the ones with the urethane bearing -- they have a tendency to snap your strut if you aren't careful.
      07-28-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Check the track forums. ketema and I have had some issues with Ground Control that were sorted out. If you want GC's camber plates, contact them directly (phone or email -- ask for Donovan) and ask for the new F22 camber plates with the spherical bearing. Don't get the ones with the urethane bearing -- they have a tendency to snap your strut if you aren't careful.
Thanks for the information. I will surely do that when the time comes. Still trying to decide if getting KW V3's would be better versus the plates/springs/Koni's. I think that the cost and effort to do everything myself will probably win over in the end unless I can get a good deal on the V3's somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #8
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Thanks for the information. I will surely do that when the time comes. Still trying to decide if getting KW V3's would be better versus the plates/springs/Koni's. I think that the cost and effort to do everything myself will probably win over in the end unless I can get a good deal on the V3's somewhere.
FWIW I would go for the Konis/plates/springs if I wanted to dump the stock dampers. Koni makes a quality product and I (personally) don't need the full adjustability of the V3's -- the Konis do just fine.

Most likely when my stock dampers give up the ghost, I'll just get some EDC delete modules and get the Konis (unless something better comes along in the meantime).
      07-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #9
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most likely when my stock dampers give up the ghost, I'll just get some EDC delete modules and get the Konis (unless something better comes along in the meantime).
I don't have this problem. Thankfully. For what I'm going to use my car for the majority of the time the plates/springs/Koni plan is going to stick. I'm going to buy all of it and then install so I don't have to do things more than once. Thanks for the input.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 04:24 PM   #10
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
FWIW I would go for the Konis/plates/springs if I wanted to dump the stock dampers. Koni makes a quality product and I (personally) don't need the full adjustability of the V3's -- the Konis do just fine.

I think you can just code the EDC out and save teh $350 for the module...

just remove 2VF from FA and VO code DSC

Last edited by pikcachu; 07-28-2015 at 05:34 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2015, 06:03 PM   #11
Dan GSR
Rep
Drives: GTI

I've had horrible experience with konis, never recommend them to anyone
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 06:08 PM   #12
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
I've had horrible experience with konis, never recommend them to anyone
Really?! How so? Please explain for the benefit of all of us.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 03:01 PM   #13
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I can't talk about Koni's specifically, but I have experience KWs DDC kit (adaptive dampers) as well as the clubsport kit (non adaptive). Also as Liquidpaper said I also had GC camber plates. The new GC plates work fine and are not snapping struts any more, but if you are more in tracking than daily driving I must recommend the clubsport kit. The stiffness turns into cornering performance that is a VERY noticeable improvement over stock and the DDC kit. Plus its not unbearable on the street. Granted I do not daily drive, but when I do take my 2 out I am not uncomfortable.
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:05 PM   #14
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketema View Post
I can't talk about Koni's specifically, but I have experience KWs DDC kit (adaptive dampers) as well as the clubsport kit (non adaptive). Also as Liquidpaper said I also had GC camber plates. The new GC plates work fine and are not snapping struts any more, but if you are more in tracking than daily driving I must recommend the clubsport kit. The stiffness turns into cornering performance that is a VERY noticeable improvement over stock and the DDC kit. Plus its not unbearable on the street. Granted I do not daily drive, but when I do take my 2 out I am not uncomfortable.
Thanks for the input. The cost of the Clubsports is 2K past what I would spend in Koni/springs/plates with only marginal more adjustability. Height adjustable isn't really a huge issue for me at my driving skill level and the time I have to devote to improving that. To add to that Clubsports aren't warrantied by KW as they are a racing part. The Koni's have a lifetime rebuild warranty to the original purchaser. I don't have EDC so I'm already saving a few hundred bucks all around. If I should ever get good enough to where I feel I need to corner balance my car then I will go for the adjustability that they offer. Even the V3's are 1K past what I would spend for this set-up. Oh and ketema I love your wheels. I'm thinking of getting the silver versions for my car.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:07 PM   #15
ketema
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketema View Post
Thanks for the input. The cost of the Clubsports is 2K past what I would spend in Koni/springs/plates with only marginal more adjustability. Height adjustable isn't really a huge issue for me at my driving skill level and the time I have to devote to improving that. To add to that Clubsports aren't warrantied by KW as they are a racing part. The Koni's have a lifetime rebuild warranty to the original purchaser. I don't have EDC so I'm already saving a few hundred bucks all around. If I should ever get good enough to where I feel I need to corner balance my car then I will go for the adjustability that they offer. Even the V3's are 1K past what I would spend for this set-up.
Sounds like your good to go. Whatever you get it will be better than stock. At the end of the day if your happy that's all that matters.
2015 6M Black Sapphire Metallic | MPE w/Carbon Tips | Digital MP Steering Wheel | Carbon Interior | StopTech Slotted Rotors | Pagid RSL1 Race Pads | KW Clubsport Coilovers | DINAN Stage 2 and Carbon air intake | Clutch Masters Lightweight Performance Clutch and Flywheel | Hotchkis Anti-Roll Bars | Enkei RS05RR 18" Racing Wheels
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2015, 04:08 PM   #16
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 11:53 AM   #17
Dan GSR
Rep

I've had to send back about 8 different shocks from different customer cars for blown konis. Never a leaky bilstein, ever
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 12:01 PM   #18
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

Interesting. Are the Bilstein's adjustable too?
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:49 PM   #19
Dan GSR
Rep

The sport shocks are not, but I find then to be perfect out of the box
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2015, 08:50 PM   #20
Dan GSR
Rep

If you prefer softer damping get the HD shocks
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2015, 04:19 AM   #21
SteveInfante
United_States
Rep

I see. Thanks for the info.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 08:34 PM   #22
i8ur911
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F22 228i MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan GSR View Post
If you prefer softer damping get the HD shocks
Per Bilstein, the HD's are identically valved to the Sports. The only difference is compression length.
Appreciate 0