THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Does anyone else's music cut out when using Spotify over Carplay?

02-04-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
jklaz
Car aint go no roof
Rep
Drives: '20 M240i xDrive Convertible

Does anyone else's music cut out when using Spotify over Carplay?

I have a 2020 M240i and an iPhone 13 pro. I've had my car for about 5 months and use the wireless Carplay every time I drive and play Spotify through it. On some drives, the audio will cut out for 2-5 seconds randomly. The Carplay menu does not disconnect or become unresponsive or anything, just the audio stops. The song's playback bar even continues to progress on the screen.

I came across this thread in the G30 forums where a lot of people seem to be having a similar issue to mine, but many of them had older phones and it seems that resetting their phones didn't always solve it. Whats curious is some of them chalked it up to a bad antenna because it only happened when their phone was in a certain position. I haven't really correlated any position with when the issue happens.

My phone worked fine with my wired Carplay in my old car, and also never cuts out when listening to spotify on my airpods or on a bluetooth speaker I use a few times a week, so it definitely is with the car.

I'm still under warranty so I think I will be calling about this one, but was wondering if anyone else had ran into this issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2023, 11:27 PM   #2
jklaz
Car aint go no roof
Rep

Called my dealer guy to schedule an appointment.. he said the tech said to un-pair and re-pair the phone to the car, and if it still cuts out, try using non spotify apps. I'm assuming they will really have no idea how to reproduce this and are just asking me to narrow it down so I will due my due diligence I guess
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2023, 06:20 AM   #3
BroganHarrington
Banned
Rep
Drives: Volvo

The settings reset solution from the other user’s post did the trick!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 09:50 AM   #4
jklaz
Car aint go no roof
Rep

So an update..
Pairing and unpairing my phone worked for a couple weeks. Then on a drive on Sunday, it cut out multiple time. I moved the position of the phone, changed audio apps, and it still was stuttering randomly. Did it while plugged in charging or not.

I'm seeing multiple results on different forums for audio stutter
1 series on reddit
5 series on reddit
x3 forums in 2018
x3 forums where op has tons of issues, commenters have audio stutters in 2021
mini cooper on apple forums in 2019
mini cooper on mac rumors in 2019

Obviously range of years and different iphones and ios versions.. common denominator is bmw and all the threads have no fixes.

I'm gonna troubleshoot this one a little bit more... using another iphone using just bluetooth etc. But it all points back to our cars wireless implentation of carplay. I would used wired 100% of the time if it was available. This is super frustrating on a car this price
Appreciate 0