THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Coilovers spacers required?

11-11-2022, 02:11 PM   #1
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Coilovers spacers required?

I plan to install KVs soon on my m235 I have stock staggered setup wheels do I need spacers to install? If so what size?
      11-21-2022, 05:26 PM   #2
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingling View Post
I plan to install KVs soon on my m235 I have stock staggered setup wheels do I need spacers to install? If so what size?
Since no one answers me I'll answer it myself. KW on oem wheels will require a minimum 5mm spacer in the front. I went with 10mm front 15 rear bc that's what I had laying around from my old build.

Additional notes:

Front measurement: 8.5 inches from the alignment tab to top of pirch

Rear measurement: 30cm from Top to bottom of pirch.

Did run into an issue with the oem front endlinks they smack against tire and caused mine to shear off. Remedy for this is a set of OEM+ endlinks they are slimmer and made of full metal instead of typical plastic BMW crap. I recommend running 2 driver side endlinks and flipping the passenger side so it feed the opposite way so it no longer gets hit. My assumption is KW designed these Coilovers to fit 2,3,4 series but did not consider that the 2 series the significantly tighter wheel well compared to the 3 series and 4 series.
      11-21-2022, 06:59 PM   #3
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

Sounds like some geometry problems, are you sure you have the right kit for your car? Just asking becasue there are various shapes and sizes for the same car, AWD/RWD are different... EDC/non-EDC are different...

End links should be longer in front for a lowered car, but nowhere near the side of your wheel. The tab they go on is at the back (closest to the car) of the shock.

The shock itself shouldn't be wider, but maybe if the screw is all the way lowered, the spring may get in the way?

Last edited by freakystyly; 11-21-2022 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2022, 08:55 PM   #4
Lingling
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakystyly View Post
Sounds like some geometry problems, are you sure you have the right kit for your car? Just asking becasue there are various shapes and sizes for the same car, AWD/RWD are different... EDC/non-EDC are different...

End links should be longer in front for a lowered car, but nowhere near the side of your wheel. The tab they go on is at the back (closest to the car) of the shock.

The shock itself shouldn't be wider, but maybe if the screw is all the way lowered, the spring may get in the way?
So the kit I had was for non EDC from my understanding the difference for the non edc and edc was the cancellation devices and I decided to not pay 300$ for cancellation devices and just code them out. The kit I got was specific for f22 rwd vehicles. Although the website states it is for f22 rwd, f30 rwd, and f32 rwd. I could be wrong but a local shop of mine had the same issue with kw rubbing as well. They do list that while running stock tire and wheel a spacer may be required but they very well might as well say it will be required. My rideheight is pretty conservative too dead smack in the middle for the min/max.
      12-27-2022, 01:10 PM   #5
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lingling View Post
OE wheels will be fine with KW.

If aftermarket, you will need to figure out how much space you have lost with your new setup and correct thickness spacers.
Appreciate 0