THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M235i - Wheel Clicking

09-25-2022, 08:55 PM   #1
A1weeka7
Registered
Rep
Drives: M235i

M235i - Wheel Clicking

Hi All,

I'm experiencing a couple issues with my 2014 M235i that I can seem to resolve.

- Clunking noise from front tires/brakes when reversing, putting the car in drive and then braking. Only happens one time after reversing then goes away.
- Clicking from front end when turning wheel either left or right. More noticeable when driving slowly and when the steering wheel is almost turned fully.

My local BMW shop say the front end clunk is normal and its just the brakes readjusting but it has never previously done that before.

Car has recently had new rotors and pads as well as new struts and strut mounts.

Any help is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

clunking noise is the pads moving back and forth.... it's normal...sometimes if you put more brake paste on the pads it helps.

clicking noise is probably the brake dust shield... you can take the wheel off and bend it a little and that should do it...
Appreciate 1
MLJR235116.50
      10-18-2023, 08:29 PM   #3
rafi
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1weeka7 View Post
Hi All,

I'm experiencing a couple issues with my 2014 M235i that I can seem to resolve.

- Clunking noise from front tires/brakes when reversing, putting the car in drive and then braking. Only happens one time after reversing then goes away.
- Clicking from front end when turning wheel either left or right. More noticeable when driving slowly and when the steering wheel is almost turned fully.

My local BMW shop say the front end clunk is normal and its just the brakes readjusting but it has never previously done that before.

Car has recently had new rotors and pads as well as new struts and strut mounts.

Any help is appreciated!
hey,

A1weeka7

did the sound eventually go away and if so, how long did it take? I just got new brakes and rotors all around on my m235i and have hearing this sound when backing into my garage in in parking lots. I was told to break them in for 5-10 miles and did that before driving normally again. LMK, thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #4
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

The clunking is the revoknuckle suspension setup. My M235i does the same and is due to the geometry of the suspension.

The clicking is likely to micromovement between the brake disc and the hub. see this following thread. I bought the BMW shim kit to resolve it (see post #6)

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1852675
Appreciate 0