THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications SOLVED!, LED Bulbs for halogen housing

03-25-2021, 05:10 PM   #1
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 230XI

Garage List
Talking SOLVED!, LED Bulbs for halogen housing

Long story short, I was looking for a good 2 Series I could afford for a while, one came up and I jumped on it after i found it was everything I was looking for it was just lacking the good headlights. I thought it was no big deal but no matter how nice the car looks as soon as the lights are on it drags the whole thing down.

I tried getting some cheaper LED replacements for the high and low beams to at least bring the color up to a pure white and hopefully make it brighter at night so I'm not struggling to see.

I wanted to see if anyone else right now knows of good LEDs for the highs and lows that will fit in the housing with that clip that keeps them in place.

=============================

Sorry if this post has come up before I checked some of the other ones but the LEDs listed in the other ones are dead links or not for sale anymore. I greatly appreciate any help, Thank you.

Last edited by Mogki; 04-13-2021 at 04:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #2
Mark.h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m235i

https://ddmtuning.com/SaberLED-OE-Fi...lbs-5000LMPR-W

No heat shrink or fan on these so no issues with the clip
Appreciate 1
Mogki34.00
      03-27-2021, 09:21 AM   #3
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

The stock halogen headlamps in the F30 are absolutely horrible too (I made the same mistake as you by not test driving my old 2013 328i at night before buying it with the stock halogens). The car was Estoril Blue with M-Sport package, manual gearbox and rear-wheel-drive, but I had no idea that BMW chose to put such substandard headlamps as standard equipment in their cars, so i didn't even bother asking about them before buying the car.

The OEM OSRAM H7 12V 55W halogen bulbs are rated at 1,500 lumens.

Replacement OSRAM H7 12v 65W halogen bulbs are rated at 2,100 lumens (40% brighter).

I upgraded to the latter in my 2013 328i, and it made a SIGNIFICANT improvement illuminating the road at night.

Last edited by Outlaw 06; 03-27-2021 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 2
      03-27-2021, 10:49 PM   #4
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you both, I'm going to try taking a look into the LED first off I do like the styling of the cooler white LEDs; you are right, I really should have checked the lights at night because it's downright unacceptable I lose all confidence driving at night with it.

Still for now this is my first 'GOOD' car, I moved stateside from Ireland and only had econoboxes but this is the first time I could afford something better for myself now but I should have held out for a 235 or 240 that could have shown up at one of my local dealers bust still.

Thank you both very much for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #5
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I got them installed today, once it's darker I'll take some pictures to see how it looks but it was nice and easy to get in and going thankfully.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 09:15 PM   #6
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Took some pictures no with them in; Front on with the LED low beams with fogs that I changed out as well then coverage with just the low beams then low beams and fogs and just an older picture front on with the bulbs.

Thank you both for the help I still have to aim them but I don't feel completely helpless at night now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 08:32 AM   #7
Ajowhan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m240i 'vert

That looks so much better, congratulations.

I was wondering if something like this would have work for you as well.

https://www.protuninglab.com/pro-yd-...RoC5OwQAvD_BwE
Appreciate 1
Mogki34.00
      04-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #8
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post

I've seen some people talk about Depo lights but the cost of retrofit or after market just for the halo all seems to be a bit too much just for the DRL halos, I think right now just having the halogens out helps enough that I'll more than likely step up before i spend the time/money on a housing retrofit
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2021, 04:09 PM   #9
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Which LED bulbs did you go with? Did you need any canbus adapters? Do you get any error messages or flickering issues?
      04-12-2021, 06:08 PM   #10
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
Which LED bulbs did you go with? Did you need any canbus adapters? Do you get any error messages or flickering issues?
These had adapters in line, I coded LED in anyhow just to avoid any test flickering or codes;

Low beam, I had found these had an adapter plate that installs first then the bulb twists into place. - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Parking lights, Not a great fit but no codes - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These did not have anything in line but had no issues after being coded to LED;

Fog Lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The listing for the DRL/High beams is no longer there but this was the worst one to get in, almost every single LED has a huge heatsink and fan on the back for the H15 size ones.
Appreciate 1
Z K1887.00
      04-13-2021, 04:16 PM   #11
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Tagging this on the end just to save anyone a headache if you try change the bulbs without taking the wheels off, you'll be feeling around it's very hard to see anything with the space.

The clip holding in the light has to be pushed towards the front of the car and then in towards the car to release.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      04-17-2021, 01:07 PM   #12
Dvtchmxn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 440ix, '16 228ix (Sold)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogki View Post
These had adapters in line, I coded LED in anyhow just to avoid any test flickering or codes;

Low beam, I had found these had an adapter plate that installs first then the bulb twists into place. - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Parking lights, Not a great fit but no codes - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These did not have anything in line but had no issues after being coded to LED;

Fog Lights - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The listing for the DRL/High beams is no longer there but this was the worst one to get in, almost every single LED has a huge heatsink and fan on the back for the H15 size ones.
can I ask how you coded them? did you use a youtube video for reference?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #13
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvtchmxn View Post
can I ask how you coded them? did you use a youtube video for reference?
I actually just used bimmercode on android, they had easy code options in there and it was fairly quick. I did have the app and dongle previously from some other options I coded in before.

Thankfully they have options to easily change over high beams, low beams, parking lights and fog lights so I changed settings from "Bulb" to "LED" and disabled cold monitoring so there is no flickering or flashing.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 04:13 PM   #14
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Quote:
I installed a led kit today. The one I got had a removable adapter which made it easy. It was advertised as canbus error free and so far it hasn't thrown any codes or flickered. No coding needed. Completely plug and play.

Have to make sure the led is oriented in a 30-90 degree position so it'll be correct. Beam pattern looks good with no light scatter.

Here's the kit. I got the "H7 130W Canbus Ready Large Size"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJN8YGX
Attached Images

Last edited by Z K; 05-08-2021 at 04:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2021, 09:18 PM   #15
Jacob657
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 230i Sport Line

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajowhan View Post

I've seen some people talk about Depo lights but the cost of retrofit or after market just for the halo all seems to be a bit too much just for the DRL halos, I think right now just having the halogens out helps enough that I'll more than likely step up before i spend the time/money on a housing retrofit
I had halogens on my last 230i and literally traded it in because of this. The roads to my house are long, dark, country roads so lighting was important. I called many dealerships and the quotes I was given for halogen to LED bulb w/ halos was ~$4,000. They also said they weren't sure they could even do it. Those LED bulbs you put in look great and honestly as bright as (if not brighter) than the BMW LED ones 😳
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2021, 10:47 AM   #16
Mogki
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob657 View Post
I had halogens on my last 230i and literally traded it in because of this. The roads to my house are long, dark, country roads so lighting was important. I called many dealerships and the quotes I was given for halogen to LED bulb w/ halos was ~$4,000. They also said they weren't sure they could even do it. Those LED bulbs you put in look great and honestly as bright as (if not brighter) than the BMW LED ones 😳
Yeah I completely understand that, It was the issue I was having as well lit roads are never a big deal of course but all it takes is one street or road without them and you lose all confidence.

I do understand why my car didn't have the lighting pack, it was a CPO only had around 10k miles it was someones weekend car or baby
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2021, 07:09 PM   #17
Dvtchmxn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 440ix, '16 228ix (Sold)

Garage List
Quote:
I installed a led kit today. The one I got had a removable adapter which made it easy. It was advertised as canbus error free and so far it hasn't thrown any codes or flickered. No coding needed. Completely plug and play.

Have to make sure the led is oriented in a 30-90 degree position so it'll be correct. Beam pattern looks good with no light scatter.

Here's the kit. I got the "H7 130W Canbus Ready Large Size"
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VJN8YGX
Just did a full LED. conversion the low beams you mentioned are amazing but were a pain in the ass to install (installation instructions were no help at all). but overall they are great
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #18
flypenfly
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Cayenne, 2015 Msport 228i

Without actual projectors, you're probably not getting a good throw of light actually. It's almost always worse than good halogen bulbs. It also looks really ghetto like a modded Sentra.

Morimoto makes a new bulb that actually is designed for halogen reflectors.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 02:39 AM   #19
lopoci
Registered
Rep
Drives: toyota yaris

Quote:
Long story short, I was looking for a good 2 Series I could afford for a while, one came up and I jumped on it after i found it was everything I was looking for it was just lacking the good headlights. I thought it was no big deal but no matter how nice the car looks as soon as the lights are on it drags the whole thing down.

I tried getting some cheaper LED replacements for the high and low beams to at least bring the color up to a pure white and hopefully make it brighter at night so I'm not struggling to see.

I wanted to see if anyone else right now knows of good LED lights for the highs and lows that will fit in the housing with that clip that keeps them in place.

=============================

Sorry if this post has come up before I checked some of the other ones but the LEDs listed in the other ones are dead links or not for sale anymore. I greatly appreciate any help, Thank you.
LED headlights can be a great upgrade for your car. But it's important to make sure that the bulbs are compatible with your car's electrical system and that they are properly installed. Also, keep in mind that upgrading to LED headlights may require adjustments to the headlight housing or wiring. If you are struggling to see at night, it might be a good idea to have your headlights checked by a professional to make sure they are properly aimed and functioning at their best.
Appreciate 0