THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Adding Car Play to 2016 m235i

11-16-2019, 05:51 PM   #1
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i Xdrive

Adding Car Play to 2016 m235i

I've been eying Bimmertech and their wireless Car Play addon https://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw...ts/carplay-mmi

Their site looks complete, and they have clear Youtube instructions.

Then I stumbled across this site: https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...B#shopping-ads

Looks like identical unit, but would be ordering from China. Guessing it's the supplier for the Bimmertech product, but one cannot be sure. HUGE difference in cost!

Old adage- If it seems too good to be true... it probably is?
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2019, 08:00 PM   #2
accs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Also on aliexpress. Likely same unit. Same purpose. China has been producing similar stuff for ages for Porsche, Benz, etc...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
KjPerry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i xDrive

If you buy and install, please let us know how it goes. That is such a steal for that cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 08:23 PM   #4
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KjPerry View Post
If you buy and install, please let us know how it goes. That is such a steal for that cost.
So I found the same deal on Amazon. Of course Amazon charged me sales tax, but I felt more comfortable on the return policies of Amazon. Ordered it last Thu, arrived, from China, today Monday. Wow... that's fast international shipping!

So far, the box looks identical to the one from Bimmertech. So do all the wiring harnesses. Really, looks identical!

The instructions look pretty bad.. poor english translations, but I expected that. There are plenty of YouTube videos that show the install, so am hoping it's as "easy" as it looks.

I'll probably do the install in a week or so. Still waiting for arrival of backup camera which I ordered separately from Amazon. Again, $23 compared to Bimmertech's $300. I guess I might find out that you get what you pay for, but, I can return it all if it sucks. As long as it doesn't blow up my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 10:20 PM   #5
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Please keep us in the loop. I was also eyeing the kit bimmertech sells but MMI Prime + adding a rear camera comes to $900! Can you share an Amazon link for the Carlinkit kit and the backup camera you bought?

The main reason I've been looking at something like this is so I can add a backup camera ($250-300 from Bimmertech is nuts).

I've been considering one of the Android headunits though they have their own set of issues.

I'm an Android phone guy so I'm looking for something that can add Waze (maybe via Android Auto), some audio streaming capabilities (spotify, plex, podcasts) and Android Messaging (messenger or signal).

Thanks and goodluck!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:58 PM   #6
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will indeed keep you posted. So far the rear view camera I ordered from Amazon was not the correct camera, so I will indeed need to order from AliExpress, which is a foreign company. Some risk, but they say their camera is for my F23, so hoping it's right. Some risk. The link for the Carlink kit that I ordered from Amazon is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YC37KYF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note this was for my BMW F23 model with an NBT/EVO head unit. They sell others, so worth making sure you order the correct unit.

I also, plan on installing the rear camera, as the Carlink module supports adding a rear camera, with all the inputs needed. (again, in theory- somewhat identical to the Bimmertech unit- although they offer a $65 option that I'm not convinced is necessary). BUT, I ordered a rear camera that fits my F23 for $21, vs bimmertech's $300+.

I'm very willing to hear that I get what I pay for, but so far, I'm taking the leap of faith, that I'm purchasing products from their suppliers- more or less. By all means, if someone knows different, factually- please enlighten me. Otherwise, I will install both module and rear camera unit in 2-3 weeks when I receive my correct rear camera unit that will connect to Carlink module.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
POMFKIMOCHI
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i 6MT/RWD EBII

Any kits or customization for Android auto? Or just a general interface with back up camera (or support)? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 07:16 PM   #8
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by grocerylist View Post
Please keep us in the loop.!
So good news so far. I got home from work early and thought I'd get started with just the Carlink module install. I've not yet received my rear view camera, so that will have to wait. But the good news is the install was fairly straight forward, keeping in mind I utilized YouTube videos from competitors- the boxes seem identical, and certainly the installation was almost spot on from an electronics point of view. (some of my paneling was different).

Got it all hooked up, turned on the electrics, and.... it works! I haven't used it enough to give a thorough review, but what I know so far is:

I have a 10.5 inch screen- It fills it up with Carplay screen, and the resolution matches that of OEM feeds (original nav, radio, etc). I had seen some reviews that the resolution of these units was not good, but that is not the case. I see no difference, and I work in video for a living.

Sound quality matches that of original radio and original sound choices. I had also heard rumors that the input feeding Aux In lacked bass, but I'm not hearing any difference again. Mind you, this is having the unit on for 10-15 minutes which I was learning how to use it.

Activating the unit requires holding down the original "menu" button for 3 seconds- you hear a slight relay click as the unit takes over control of the head unit. You also must select "Aux In front" as that's where the head unit gets fed the modules sound from. I simply programed my shortcut button number 8 for that. So 2 buttons to push, and you're in business. To switch back to original head end options, simply push radio, or nav and hold down the menu button (not sure that last step is necessary).

Now my next challenge will be putting all that bundle back into the cavity that held the head unit. It looks like this may be a challenge, and the new additional wire bundles add restriction to what was already a tight fit. I may need to relocate the module to under the glove box, which will mean more disassembly. I wanted to stop while I was still in a good mood

More to come, but so far, so good!

Last edited by Mark184; 11-28-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 2
      11-27-2019, 08:02 PM   #9
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
That's great to hear!

If this is essentially identical to the bimmertech offering, that will be the way to go.

Bimmertech seemed to have a decent product offering but the price was far too costly. When I talked to them and balked at their pricing they tried comparing their product to the stock BMW optional package (Premium package?) but that was a stretch to me. I've seen a few other Chinese offerings and I'd been holding out or was considering just dealing without. I appreciate that Bimmertech has good US based support but that wasn't worth 4x the price.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the camera works when you receive it and more details on connecting your phone for Carplay/Android Auto. (ie Do you have to connect your phone to a dangling USB under the headunit/dash, or can you route that to the armrest console)?

Thanks for taking the leap!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 08:30 PM   #10
christine1
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Do you have to push the two buttons every time in order to activate the unit? Or does it remember the setting upon restart?

Thanks for posting this! I was considering a much more expensive option from another vendor. It seems more like a complete replacement (from another car) rather than an additional unit though, so might be worth the extra cost.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:13 PM   #11
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's great to hear!

If this is essentially identical to the bimmertech offering, that will be the way to go.

Bimmertech seemed to have a decent product offering but the price was far too costly. When I talked to them and balked at their pricing they tried comparing their product to the stock BMW optional package (Premium package?) but that was a stretch to me. I've seen a few other Chinese offerings and I'd been holding out or was considering just dealing without. I appreciate that Bimmertech has good US based support but that wasn't worth 4x the price.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the camera works when you receive it and more details on connecting your phone for Carplay/Android Auto. (ie Do you have to connect your phone to a dangling USB under the headunit/dash, or can you route that to the armrest console)?

Thanks for taking the leap!
I can't say for sure that it's exactly equivalent to the Bimmertech unit, but I'd like to hear from someone who has that unit to hear differences.

No, I do not need to plug my phone in for this unit to work. It's wireless. At least, I never hooked it up during my 10-15 minute test, and I tried Spotify, Google Maps, and Waze. All worked flawlessly. There is a USB dongle that must provide some other options, but I don't know what they are, and doubt I will use it except for longer trips to keep cell phone charged. Perhaps the cable bypasses Bluetooth, which compresses audio.

Note- the directions that come with the Carlink unit are quite bad. You WILL need to research some Youtube videos to decide if you're up for the install. I'd say it isn't hard, but I did watch a bunch of videos. And, as previously mentioned, I still need to figure out how to get the module and bundle of new wires back into the dash cavity. I hope it works!

Also, you'll need to know which head end unit you have in your car. Mine was the NBT EVO. You can do a search online with your VIN to find out which unit you have. That'll make a difference of which Carlink module to order. When you order from Amazon, the Carlink people emailed me with specific questions about my car and head unit, also asking for pictures of specific screens. That seemed like smart service.

Wish me luck putting it all back together!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 09:17 PM   #12
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by christine1 View Post
Do you have to push the two buttons every time in order to activate the unit? Or does it remember the setting upon restart?

Thanks for posting this! I was considering a much more expensive option from another vendor. It seems more like a complete replacement (from another car) rather than an additional unit though, so might be worth the extra cost.
Not sure if it's necessary to push the buttons every time. I'll try it tomorrow. Guessing it remembers, just like the head unit remembers what I listened to last on original system.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 03:36 PM   #13
stvward
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i on order

I have just ordered the same item and will install in my M240i pretty soon. I would appreciate getting your update on positioning the MMI and cabling as I presume that our cars will be pretty much identical in that area. If you are able can you take some photos that might help. Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #14
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvward View Post
I have just ordered the same item and will install in my M240i pretty soon. I would appreciate getting your update on positioning the MMI and cabling as I presume that our cars will be pretty much identical in that area. If you are able can you take some photos that might help. Much appreciated.
If you don't already have, you will want a set of these that help remove your car paneling:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also this to remove head unit and screen screws:

Some of the best videos to watch are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SksfQZnKILg
sorry Bimmert*ch! I'd love to support your product, but I can't afford to at four times the cost.

And this one, paying particular attention if there are digital cables existing in your head harness. (mine had them... yours may not) happens at 3:38

Will attempt to reinstall the module and extra wires underneath the existing head unit... will likely need to get creative. Tomorrow. Today, I eat like a pig.

Last edited by Mark184; 11-29-2019 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-29-2019, 01:26 AM   #15
stvward
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G42 M240i on order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark184 View Post
If you don't already have, you will want a set of these that help remove your car paneling:

Also this to remove head unit and screen screws:

Some of the best videos to watch are:

sorry Bimmert*ch! I'd love to support your product, but I can't afford to at four times the cost.

And this one, paying particular attention to if there are digital cables existing in yours head harness. (mine had them... yours may not) happens at 3:38

Will attempt to reinstall the module and extra wires underneath the existing head unit... will likely need to get creative. Tomorrow. Today, I eat like a pig.
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:35 PM   #16
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Installation complete! It was a tight fit, and took a bit of head scratching, as I didn't want to force wires. For what it's worth, and every model and head-end is different, the module fit directly beneath the head unit. The additional wire harness with it's big block end was tricky to push into the side cavity. Actually, this was the trickiest part of the install!

Took the car for a quick drive to better learn the Carlink unit. Uses Siri control through the steering wheel. Performed all Carplay functions well. Very much like Siri reading back of text messages, and Siri transcribing your words for the reply. Totally hands free.

But, I do notice, if I'm using wireless, this REALLY sucks my phone battery. For short drives, it'll be fine, but will definitely need to plug into the USB dongle that comes out of Carlink unit to power/charge my phone.

No, you don't have to push the two buttons every time you get in the car. If I was listening to carplay on previous drive, it will come up again when engine is started. To get out of the Carlink module, just click any one of the original buttons surrounding the idrive.

So far, so good. But not a long drive yet.

Last edited by Mark184; 12-01-2019 at 07:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2019, 12:12 AM   #17
Wishxuuu
Rep
Drives: M235i 335iGT E46M3

I did add Apple car play for both my girlfriend's car. I bought it from Aliexpress. For me, it cost about 1500 since mine is a base model, so I did have to but a big screen (not necessary with car play upgrade) and EVO dead unit. My girlfriend 2016 has Tech and tech+ package only cost 120 to code and add the Wifi antenna. The process takes about 30 mins to install and 90 mins to code it remotely. I notice than without a wifi antenna it does work bot only when u put ur phone next to the AC panel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
The guys over at the F30 forum seem to have found basically the same thing from another Chinese manufacturer (Andream?) that with group buy they were able to get the pricing down to $140 + 30 shipping!
https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...rlinkit&page=7

Last edited by grocerylist; 12-02-2019 at 07:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 07:34 PM   #19
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Mark184 Did you ever receive the correct rear view camera? I'm still struggling to find one for the F22 on various sites.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2019, 09:30 PM   #20
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Mark184 Did you ever receive the correct rear view camera? I'm still struggling to find one for the F22 on various sites.
No, I tried one from Amazon, and it wasn't a fit at all, even though they said it would fit.

So far, the best I can find is not part of the trunk handle, which is how the OEM camera looks. Instead, I've found and ordered this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3278...b8344c4dh9EQaG

It will replace one of the license lights. The dimensions look correct, and the wiring, as far as I can tell, matches what the Carlinke unit is looking for. But it's a long wait. I ordered it a week ago, and looks like I won't have it for another week. I'll keep you posted. Should work.

Loving the Carlinke unit. They sent me a firmware update to address some audio dropout when wirelessly connected. Much better. The option to use the usb input turned more valuable than I thought it would be, as the use of Waze traffic mapping sucks the life out of my phone! But LOVE how its working!! The maps and traffic reporting are sooo much better than OEM, and control of Spotify is smooth with great album art.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #21
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark184 View Post
Quote:
No, I tried one from Amazon, and it wasn't a fit at all, even though they said it would fit.

So far, the best I can find is not part of the trunk handle, which is how the OEM camera looks. Instead, I've found and ordered this:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32786911075.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.b8344c4dh9E QaG

It will replace one of the license lights. The dimensions look correct, and the wiring, as far as I can tell, matches what the Carlinke unit is looking for. But it's a long wait. I ordered it a week ago, and looks like I won't have it for another week. I'll keep you posted. Should work.

Loving the Carlinke unit. They sent me a firmware update to address some audio dropout when wirelessly connected. Much better. The option to use the usb input turned more valuable than I thought it would be, as the use of Waze traffic mapping sucks the life out of my phone! But LOVE how its working!! The maps and traffic reporting are sooo much better than OEM, and control of Spotify is smooth with great album art.
Mark, did you ever get the reverse camera you ordered and does it work with the car link unit?

I purchased the car link unit and am waiting to install it as I'd like to install the reverse camera at the same time! Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 08:17 PM   #22
Mark184
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lateapex'er View Post
Mark, did you ever get the reverse camera you ordered and does it work with the car link unit?

I purchased the car link unit and am waiting to install it as I'd like to install the reverse camera at the same time! Thanks!
Yes, I purchased a rear camera. The only one that I could find that would fit well with my 2016 m235i, was on Alibaba, and took 3 weeks to get here, but fits in the license plate light, and looks like stock.

Cost $20! Works really well. Complete with tracking lines that react with steering, but that's not as useful as having a reverse camera period!

Make sure to get firmware updates. The system is absolutely fantastic. I have zero complaints.
Appreciate 0