THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes M Sport Differential in an xDrive car?

08-05-2022, 12:36 PM   #1
italia366
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M240i xDrive

Question M Sport Differential in an xDrive car?

Hey guys!

New to the forums and just have some questions about some upgrades I'm looking to do to my 2020 BMW m240i xDrive.

I track this car and have read so many times people recommend putting in the m sport lsd, but I'm not sure if that applies to the xDrive versions or the RWD version only. Wondering if this is something i should look into or if it doesnt apply to me.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2022, 05:34 PM   #2
jb_s65m
jb_s65m
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by italia366 View Post
Hey guys!

New to the forums and just have some questions about some upgrades I'm looking to do to my 2020 BMW m240i xDrive.

I track this car and have read so many times people recommend putting in the m sport lsd, but I'm not sure if that applies to the xDrive versions or the RWD version only. Wondering if this is something i should look into or if it doesnt apply to me.

Thanks in advance!
I'm interested in info about this as well. It's almost like a taboo to talk about xdrives in this forum. Most are rwd purists and those with xdrives are not as likely to track their cars. It's a shame because xdrive was one of the main reasons I bought my car, and it has been proven to be VERY effective in the new G42 and G80 cars. Alright end of rant
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2022, 12:29 AM   #3
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Check realOEM and see if the rear half shafts in your xDrive cars have the same dust guard size as the RWD cars that can take the M-Perf diff. If they do, you should be able to use it, if not, then your half shafts aren't compatible with it.

Typically the 6cyl xDrive vehicles use 188 diff while the RWD ones use 205.

I bought a donor diff and had Diffs Online put a wavetrac in my F31 xDrive car since m-perf wouldn't work (still have my original diff in case one of you wants to buy it as a donor, yes it's the same as yours ).

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 2
jb_s65m20.50
WolfGTI688.50
      09-02-2022, 06:49 AM   #4
jb_s65m
jb_s65m
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post
Check realOEM and see if the rear half shafts in your xDrive cars have the same dust guard size as the RWD cars that can take the M-Perf diff. If they do, you should be able to use it, if not, then your half shafts aren't compatible with it.

I bought a donor diff and had Diffs Online put a wavetrac in my F31 xDrive car since m-perf wouldn't work (still have my original diff in case one of you wants to buy it as a donor, yes it's the same as yours ).
Saw your post on here and the video on YouTube as well. Thanks for sharing! I think I understand what you're talking about but I'm not 100 percent. So the dust covers are the only thing different between the xdrive and rwd diffs? I thought they had different numbers of teeth in the gear?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2022, 06:58 AM   #5
jb_s65m
jb_s65m
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaRKle! View Post

So I just checked the link you gave. It shows the halfshaft dust cover as being the same as the 218d and 230i. Looks like it's not the same as the m240i rwd. That leaves just the aftermarket options. Any specific reason you went with the wavtrac? Are you still happy with it?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2023, 07:23 AM   #6
Jnat
DisplacementReplacement
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

I have a posi diff in the rear of my xdrive and it's great...
2015 235XI FBO / MHD E30
2009 335XI FBO / COBB / E30
Appreciate 0