THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Mobile Ceramic Coat

05-26-2023, 07:36 AM   #1
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Mobile Ceramic Coat

Hey all, have any of you had a ceramic coating applied by a mobile detailer? What worries me is having the car exposed to the elements and lack of good lighting. I live in a downtown setting (Fort Lauderdale) and park in a parking structure, where it is protected from the majority of the elements, but there is a lot of dust and such. I got a quote from this one mobile guy and this is his offer:

Package 1: $500
One step paint polish
Wash and paint decontamination
5-year ceramic coat

Package 2: $350
Wash and paint decontamination
5-year ceramic coat

He uses Koch-Chemie, Adams, and McKees products.

Seems like most brink and mortar detailers are around $1,000 in my area, Fort Lauderdale.

Thanks in advance
      05-26-2023, 08:39 AM   #2
icj_45e
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5 45e

Those look like weekend warrior prices more than professional detailer. Doesn't mean the guy wouldn't go a good job though. I'd get a wash/polish package from him. If you like his work, bring him back the next weekend to coat it.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2023, 11:28 AM   #3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw

the extra 500 is probably to cover overhead. dim parking garage shouldnt be much of an issue if he brings proper lighting. i had ceramic coating years ago from a proper shop but still found high spots in some areas.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2023, 05:44 PM   #4
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
I would only go to professional shop for this, and not even consider a mobile application. You will pay more money, but it is well worth the cost if you’re going to a better shop that knows what they are doing.

If you would like the contact information for my shop (an Xpel installer)which is located right off of the I-95 exit and Ives Dairy Road please send me a DM and I will give you his number.

My Z4 is one of the least expensive cars you will see in the shop.😉
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Llarry15247.00
      05-26-2023, 05:53 PM   #5
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Have you had him walk you through the entire process from end-to-end? Have you seen his work on multiple cars? Do you know anyone who has used him? If so, what are the reviews like? Based on your comfortability with the answers to these questions, you have all the information you will need to make a decision.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 07:15 AM   #6
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I wouldn't. A proper professional application of a ceramic coating usually entails heat lamps so the coating cures properly. This can't be done in a mobile setting. I'm sure the guy will do solid work, but that's not the same as a proper professional result in doing a coating the right way. I could just do it myself at that point. Coatings aren't necessarily difficult to apply once the prep work is done.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2023, 07:30 AM   #7
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock645 View Post
I wouldn't. A proper professional application of a ceramic coating usually entails heat lamps so the coating cures properly. This can't be done in a mobile setting. I'm sure the guy will do solid work, but that's not the same as a proper professional result in doing a coating the right way. I could just do it myself at that point. Coatings aren't necessarily difficult to apply once the prep work is done.
The IR lamps aren't necessary for most ceramic coatings in 2023. The IR lamps were commonplace 10 years ago but not much any more. The idea of taking your car to a "professional" to pay $2,500+ for a ceramic coating doesn't make sense to me. My guy charges in the neighborhood of what the OP listed and his work is excellent. YMMV.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2023, 05:44 PM   #8
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Math doesn't add up on those prices. You can't even do a light paint correction and 1 coat of ceramic in less than 4 hours. A "5-year" coating most certainly has to involve 2 layers. Unless this guy is really dumb and OK making $20 per job, I would be asking questions.
Appreciate 2
      05-28-2023, 08:49 PM   #9
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allinon72 View Post
Math doesn't add up on those prices. You can't even do a light paint correction and 1 coat of ceramic in less than 4 hours. A "5-year" coating most certainly has to involve 2 layers. Unless this guy is really dumb and OK making $20 per job, I would be asking questions.
I agree. At $350 thats a consumer available coating. None of those give a 5 year guarantee. And theres no way its a pro level coating for that price.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2023, 08:52 PM   #10
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Is that a big problem? Most of them won't last what they guarantee anyway and require or cover reapplications etc. Pro coatings are not a scam but they are profit centers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 08:56 PM   #11
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Is that a big problem? Most of them won't last what they guarantee anyway and require or cover reapplications etc. Pro coatings are not a scam but they are profit centers.
Any reputable place is charging 2k minimum for a light paint correction and coating, and will back it with a legit warranty. A guy offering to do it for 1/4th the price should give anyone pause. Low bid work almost never works out in one’s favor.
Appreciate 1
      05-28-2023, 09:01 PM   #12
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Any reputable place is charging 2k minimum for a light paint correction and coating, and will back it with a legit warranty. A guy offering to do it for 1/4th the price should give anyone pause. Low bid work almost never works out in one’s favor.
Yeah it's a little cheap. I just meant that the top otc coatings are really good and probably more than enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 10:14 PM   #13
Westside Guy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 Z4 M40i, 2021 228i GC

Garage List
Quote:
I totally agree, in a situation like this you will get exactly what you pay for?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 10:55 PM   #14
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Yeah because they overprice lol.
Appreciate 1
TboneS541031.00
      05-28-2023, 11:14 PM   #15
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

I love the divide
Appreciate 1
      05-29-2023, 06:41 AM   #16
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
They are 100% a scam. A consumer grade coating is all you need. Wild people are still willing to pay $2,500+ for a ceramic coating. Years ago it was more understandable because there were no other options, but not today.
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2023, 12:24 PM   #17
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
There's at least some guarantee if you get a pro level coating and follow the terms. But if you're getting any of the consumer level coatings.. there is absolutely no guarantee on how long it will last. Improper paint prep, not enough curing time before getting wet- even just dew point- can ruin a coating's longevity. A coating that might've lasted 3 years with perfect application now will only last 3 months.

That's why I point out pro detailers using the IR lamps. Not 100% necessary per se- but it is typical in the process of a pro level coating- it's how they can guarantee proper bonding.

And 350 for a coating install? No self respecting detailer is doing that job for that price. I used to do some detailing on the side, and that was the going rate for a one step polish using an all in one polish/wax product like HD speed.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 08:06 PM   #18
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrock645 View Post
There's at least some guarantee if you get a pro level coating and follow the terms. But if you're getting any of the consumer level coatings.. there is absolutely no guarantee on how long it will last. Improper paint prep, not enough curing time before getting wet- even just dew point- can ruin a coating's longevity. A coating that might've lasted 3 years with perfect application now will only last 3 months.

That's why I point out pro detailers using the IR lamps. Not 100% necessary per se- but it is typical in the process of a pro level coating- it's how they can guarantee proper bonding.

And 350 for a coating install? No self respecting detailer is doing that job for that price. I used to do some detailing on the side, and that was the going rate for a one step polish using an all in one polish/wax product like HD speed.
I would love to be wrong but I've yet to read about or witness someone exercising their warranty on any professional grade coating. There's a laundry list of written and unwritten rules about how a ceramic coated vehicle should be cared for in order to make a warranty claim. The problem is there's no way for an owner to prove they properly cared for the vehicle. You can't prove you've only handwashed the car and have never run it through the BP gas station car wash. You can't prove it's always stored in a garage and is rarely exposed to the elements for extended periods of time. You can't prove you wash it at least every week or every other week, worst case scenario. You also can't prove you used the appropriate products and not whatever's on sale at Wal-Mart. The ceramic coating warranties are about as bogus as the $2,500+ these detailers are charging for them.
      05-29-2023, 10:25 PM   #19
Jrock645
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
I would love to be wrong but I've yet to read about or witness someone exercising their warranty on any professional grade coating. There's a laundry list of written and unwritten rules about how a ceramic coated vehicle should be cared for in order to make a warranty claim. The problem is there's no way for an owner to prove they properly cared for the vehicle. You can't prove you've only handwashed the car and have never run it through the BP gas station car wash. You can't prove it's always stored in a garage and is rarely exposed to the elements for extended periods of time. You can't prove you wash it at least every week or every other week, worst case scenario. You also can't prove you used the appropriate products and not whatever's on sale at Wal-Mart. The ceramic coating warranties are about as bogus as the $2,500+ these detailers are charging for them.

I think my biggest point is the copy and paste from the detailers site or whatever for $350 calling it a 5 year coating. There isn’t a single consumer level coating that I’m aware of that makes any claim at all about durability, and if there is I’d guess it’s more like 2-3 years. So how is this detailer calling it a 5 year coating? It’s absolute rubbish, plain and simple. Call pro level coatings a rip off all you want, but the durability claims are made in the product literature by the coating manufacturer- not by individual detailers independently of that. So with that,
I am specifically calling out the detailer in question here for making what I see as a very clear cut bogus claim that they have no business making.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:39 PM   #20
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark_Kent View Post
They are 100% a scam. A consumer grade coating is all you need. Wild people are still willing to pay $2,500+ for a ceramic coating. Years ago it was more understandable because there were no other options, but not today.
Scam is a bit strong of a word I think. You do get a strong coating and a pro to apply it. Yes, I would never pay $2k+ for it. However, it is a significant amount of work to get a car surgically clean and time is money. It doesn't take more than a few hours to a half a day for a really dirty car, but some people don't have any knowledge. For the crowd with a lot of money and short on time, it can be worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2023, 07:26 AM   #21
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Thanks all, I appreciate all of the feedback. I have decided I am going to skip on this guy. I think it's likely one of those 'you get what you pay for' and I'd rather just spend some more and know it will be done properly.
      05-30-2023, 04:33 PM   #22
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

It amazes me how people are willing to hand over their BMW to a stranger and hope for the best, all in the name of saving a few hundred dollars.

If you're looking to save money, look at DIY. It's far easier than it seems and you'll learn a new skill that lasts a lifetime.
Appreciate 1
icj_45e108.00