THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Parking sensor problem (?dummy sensors)

05-25-2023, 11:16 AM   #1
Scs1991
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Parking sensor problem (?dummy sensors)

Hi there I am new here, apologies for the waffle!

I have a 2014 M235i which has about 110k miles. The parking sensors worked fine when I first got the car approx 8months ago but then periodically wouldn’t work.

I had a small accident about 2months after getting it, where someone drove in to the passenger side but didn’t cause any cosmetic damage as their bumper somehow wedged a piece in between my alloy and tyre and no scratches on my bumper or anything. Ever since then it became more periodical and then for the last few months just hasn’t worked at all.

I took it for a service today and asked the BMW centre to have a look. Now about 6 weeks ago a mate of mine thought it would be funny to push on the sensors at the back bumper and it seems that the middle two were dummy sensors and they pushed through the bumper so there are now just two holes.

The guy at BMW seems convinced this is the problem despite it happening well after they stopped working, he said that there shouldn’t be any dummy sensors and that maybe someone has done a rogue repair on it.

Does anyone know is there supposed to be 4 sensors on the back bumper? There are two sensors at each side at the back that don’t push through, or perhaps the middle ones were real sensors but there was a problem with them and that is why they pushed through easily? I think it is likely the front sensor maybe displaced by the knock of the accident but he seems convinced it is the rear…

Anyhow I wonder if anyone has had any similar issues with the parking sensors and what would be the best way forward to assess this, they weren’t very helpful at the centre to be fair.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0