THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum did I cross-thread, oil filter cap ? ***resolved***

05-23-2023, 06:50 AM   #1
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230 2020 vert F23

did I cross-thread, oil filter cap ? ***resolved***

Question, not sure if I should worry, so wanted to replace the oil filter on mine. Seen enough Youtube videos and also my indy has done it in front of me, so no problems "except"

I had to get a special size socket and I think it was only a small 1/4 or 3/8 adaptor It was tight removing and squeeked as it came out.

I snapped the new filter in the cap and put some lube on the o-ring, managed to get it in and orientate the filter as it has that little notch,
and you could feel the oil filter drop in I started to hand tight it but I know my indy always has an issue starting it by hand needed to push down with the wrench and start it.

it started fine, then half way through it squeaks as it goes in as it normal has when my indy does it, I keep going till it stops, I don't force it and check the torque 25nm/18 ft lb, my torque clicks right away

NOW, in NEWTIS it says after torque down to undo it 180 degrees and then re-torque, damn (I couldn't back it off) not sure if it was because the adaptor is only a think 1/4 inch anyway I didnt want to force it and break something so I left it.

When I look at the cap, it's looks perfectly sealed and no leaks or cracks anywhere

I've run the car no problems with noise, no leaks etc
I guess this will wait till next time I do an oil change (winter tire change over)

Any thoughts, should I pick up ma new cap, before I get to my indy, if it is cross threaded am I going to have any major problems, BMW shoudl be doing a free oil change towards the end of the year, I could leave it for them ? Thoughts

Last edited by nazali; 11-25-2023 at 12:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 07:09 AM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

It's probably the middle size 3/8" drive, I doubt they would make a 32mm socket with 1/4" drive. You need a universal joint to get the correct angle on it too (for the 6 cyls anyways). That would throw the torque values off a bit. Was the engine hot when you did the oil change? Maybe that would cause the plastic to expand and bind? As far as I know it's plastic cap on plastic housing.

Can always view one of the many youtube videos and see if someone mentions the issue you've come across.
Appreciate 1
      05-23-2023, 07:37 AM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

With a plastic cap and alloy housing I would guess it would be hard to cross thread.

I can see how the 1/4 drive can throw you off when needing to use a bit of force
Appreciate 1
nazali1264.50
      05-23-2023, 09:22 AM   #4
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

txs all,
yes sorry it's a 3/8'th, and no the engine was cold on removal and refitting,
my indy came back to me and said the same thing, I need a bigger one wit more grunt, weird I was able to remove it LOL
he said to bring a spare cap in case, but not to worry about it
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 09:30 AM   #5
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

yes, thats what I was worried about

Quote:
Originally Posted by overcoil View Post
With a plastic cap and alloy housing I would guess it would be hard to cross thread.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2023, 02:27 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

What do you mean by you couldn't "back it off". Are you using a shorter handle ratchet? I'm certain you can get it off with enough leverage (longer lever means exponentially more leverage, thus torque). If it was cross-threading, you'd know pretty quickly plus it won't seat and seal.
      11-25-2023, 12:06 PM   #7
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

Gang,
So went for my oil change and tires this AM
just to be safe I picked up a oil filter cap (about 30 bucks)

My indy, literally just unscrewed it LOL, do I feel foolish !

He had the same socket kit as me and same size 3/8" I think, you know tI think the smaller one, but it looked like he had a different assortment of extensions, maybe his were "thicker" and longer... ooo errr missus

He literally put the extension on and without break a sweat just wound it off.

Wondering if it was because I was doing it cold and I had the car on a long 40km drive up to him.

Anyway like a lot of things, there are something you can't learn on youtube ! and even with the tools, maybe knowing how to use which tools
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2023, 10:02 AM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by nazali View Post
Gang,
So went for my oil change and tires this AM
just to be safe I picked up a oil filter cap (about 30 bucks)

My indy, literally just unscrewed it LOL, do I feel foolish !

He had the same socket kit as me and same size 3/8" I think, you know tI think the smaller one, but it looked like he had a different assortment of extensions, maybe his were "thicker" and longer... ooo errr missus

He literally put the extension on and without break a sweat just wound it off.

Wondering if it was because I was doing it cold and I had the car on a long 40km drive up to him.

Anyway like a lot of things, there are something you can't learn on youtube ! and even with the tools, maybe knowing how to use which tools
Ahhh yes, leverage. I always cracks me up watching YT videos of folks working on cars and they're using a standard length ratchet to break loose a fastener torqued down with 70+ ft/lbs and they're struggling to break it loose. It's a great way to break a tool or worse, hurt yourself. You gotta have leverage (i.e., a longer bar) and use the right tool for the job.
      12-02-2023, 08:35 AM   #9
nazali
Major
Canada
Rep

One thing that does niggle me, if I was using the wrong tools in the first place I should never have been able to get it off in the first place.

same socket and bar arrangement, came off easily

wound new one on, took it till it stopped, then tried to back it off and nothing.

anyhoo, come summer I'll maybe try again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Annessa View Post
It sounds like you've taken careful steps during the oil filter replacement, and it's positive that you haven't encountered any immediate issues like leaks or abnormal sounds. While NewTIS suggests the additional step of undoing and re-torquing, not being able to perform this doesn't necessarily spell trouble, especially if the cap looks perfectly sealed.

Considering you have no apparent problems with the car running smoothly and no visible leaks, you might be alright until your next oil change or winter tire swap. However, if there's any lingering doubt or if peace of mind is a priority, grabbing a new cap before your next visit to the BMW dealership might be a prudent move. It's better to be cautious, and addressing any potential concerns sooner rather than later is usually a good practice in car maintenance. Safe travels! ��✨

Last edited by nazali; 12-03-2023 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Mike F.103.00