THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes ABS Unit Replacement

11-15-2022, 10:33 AM   #1
RandomBMW
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

ABS Unit Replacement

Hey all,

Has anyone else replaced the abs hydraulic unit on an M235? It seems to be a standard 2 channel MK100 unit that is used in multiple car brands. A few questions:

1. Anyone replace just the hydraulic unit with a used one (if i can find one) and reuse the control? I am thinking this may be the way to go. I hope a used one would be wayyyyy cheaper than $2653.75 for a new hydraulic unit.

2. I realize this isn't the Coding Forum, though it is my understanding that the DSC control unit cannot be programmed more than once, so used is not an option for that, correct? ($1019.76 new).

3. Sending out the unit may be an option, though I shall continue my search for that. Anyone have any recommendations?

Many thanks!

Background, for those who are interested:

I replaced the front pads with aftermarket. I thought they were too aggressive, being they would stop pretty hard when the brake disc drying feature is active (fun surprise when you are going down the highway in the rain and car brakes aggressively without brake lights coming on). I also noticed that the brakes felt "sticky", like the pressure what not being released very quickly. In other words, after releasing the brake pedal, it took a second or two to fully disengage the pads.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I replaced the front pads and rotors with OEM and replace rear pads. I bled the system, put and wheels on, and found the front calipers were clamped to the front rotors. The engine could not overpower them and get the car to move. I attempted try and pry the pads from the rotors though could not. After a bunch of googling,
. This video is spot-on from what I experienced. I would actually go with this company, though rather not ship this to the UK to get fixed.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00