THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning b46/48 throttle reponse lag vs n20

12-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #1
Roman G
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: a few

b46/48 throttle reponse lag vs n20

Took delivery of '18 230i 6MT track pack and I'm in awe of this machine . However in sport mode the throttle response is way more laggy than my n20 motor was. Standing in neutral and revving there is definitely way less and slower response than the n20 motor.

Wondering if anyone else with the new motor has experienced the issue.

This is not turbo lag but just a throttle response delay in gear or in neutral. My sport mode is configured for drivetrain.

Just curious if this is one odd or others have the same problem/issue.

On a side note if anyone is curious (potential buyers) the b46/b48 sounds way WAY better then n20 did. Engine and stock exhaust is way more throaty and burbly. Will try to fit my MPE (from 228/328/428) onto this one and hopefully it fits.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #2
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I have the same issue with my 16 228ix. I was thinking of getting a Dinan Stage 1 tuner installed as I have been reading that it practically eliminates turbo lag except in eco mode. I was hoping that it would also give me increased performance. Dinan claims a 46hp boost in hp. Can anyone shed light on this claim. I have a certified Dinan installer who can do the install.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #3
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

Yes this engine definitely has a lot of lag at low rpm. Not sure how much is turbo lag, how much is the driving control nannies and how much is programming for fuel economy. Have gotten used to it but still don't like it.

My guess is that getting rid of it would mean keeping the turbo cranked up more and result in much worse fuel economy. A boost gauge would be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #4
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

I may have to test drive one and see for myself.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2018, 11:30 PM   #5
Jensenl
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i

I try a B series engine 340i as a loaner and I have the same feel compare to N55 335i, also the engine still kicking so hard at the top end where the N series was dying out. did they redesign the turbo geometry and use it in the new modular engine?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 04:19 PM   #6
lajollabeach
United_States
Rep
Drives: a bit faster than I should

I have a similar issue - wimpy throttle response/lag 228i vs 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roman G View Post
Took delivery of '18 230i 6MT track pack and I'm in awe of this machine . However in sport mode the throttle response is way more laggy than my n20 motor was. Standing in neutral and revving there is definitely way less and slower response than the n20 motor.

Wondering if anyone else with the new motor has experienced the issue.

This is not turbo lag but just a throttle response delay in gear or in neutral. My sport mode is configured for drivetrain.

Just curious if this is one odd or others have the same problem/issue.

On a side note if anyone is curious (potential buyers) the b46/b48 sounds way WAY better then n20 did. Engine and stock exhaust is way more throaty and burbly. Will try to fit my MPE (from 228/328/428) onto this one and hopefully it fits.
I had a 2016 228i. And now I have a 2019 230i. My 228 and my 230 both have the eight speed automatic.

When I first drove my 228 I remember that I immediately noticed that there seems to be no lag at all. The throttle response was a bit disappointing - felt kind of dead, but putting it in sport+ solved that.

When I first drove my 230 I immediately noticed that the throttle was even less responsive than the 228, and I took to driving in sport+ all the time. I don't know enough about turbo lag to say whether or not this car has it or if there's some other issue, but it's a real problem. Two examples are 1. When trying to accelerate out of a turn I can't just step on the gas when I need the power. I have to plan ahead and step on the gas half second before I need it. 2. In an emergency situation the lag is dangerous. Recently I was halfway through an intersection with the car to my right ran the red light. If the throttle was normally responsive I would've been able to scoot out of the way no problem. As it turns out I was able to scoot out of the way but just barely.

When I complained to the dealer about the lack of throttle response and the fact that the car always seem to be one gear down from where I wanted it, the Genius told me to leave my car in drive and drive aggressively for about 10,000 miles and the car would figure out what I wanted out of it (I think the correct term for this is “driving dynamics control” and they are values stored in the key fob). She said that during this time I could put it in sport or sport+ and that wouldn't affect the process. I drive in sport+ almost all the time. It has a number of advantages firstly I have a track handling package and the car the most fun to drive in sport+. It also makes the loudest and most enjoyable fake or real engine/exhaust sounds in sport+

Recently I talked to a BMW service advisor about the issue. He said the Genius was wrong. What I really need to do is leave it in drive and comfort and drive aggressively for 2000 miles and the car would figure out how I like to drive. Stuck in drive/comfort the car isn't nearly as much fun to drive, so that's a bummer.

A BMW service tech drove my car and said the throttle response seem normal.

So can anyone help with these 3 questions: 1. what is the correct way to get the desired driving dynamics control values into the key fob. 2) is the b46 engine in my current 230 just naturally more laggy then the n20 engine that was in my 228i. 3) if the 2000 miles in drive/comfort doesn't do the job what would my next step with BMW be?

BTW I concur the 230 sounds way better and strongly concur if you order/look for a 230, and you drive for fun, get the track handling package!! Love my car.

Thanks

previous e36, e46, e36, 228i

Last edited by lajollabeach; 10-31-2019 at 04:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 08:04 AM   #7
ztech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
In a 2019 G20 330i, and the I feel the same. My car is tuned to a verified 310 WHP, but the car still has some of the worst throttle response I've ever experienced under 40 MPH. I've driven quite a few cars with 30-40 less hp and they are quicker off the line. I find often have to stab the throttle to overtake Corollas and Civics. Very annoying, not sure if tuner can increase low rpm boost, or address the issue with new pedal mapping.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ztech View Post
In a 2019 G20 330i, and the I feel the same. My car is tuned to a verified 310 WHP, but the car still has some of the worst throttle response I've ever experienced under 40 MPH. I've driven quite a few cars with 30-40 less hp and they are quicker off the line. I find often have to stab the throttle to overtake Corollas and Civics. Very annoying, not sure if tuner can increase low rpm boost, or address the issue with new pedal mapping.
Maybe you need to adjust the throttle response. Try the Dinan throttle controller

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0