THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications RW Carbon Fiber Lip Install

03-01-2016, 10:08 PM   #1
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

RW Carbon Fiber Lip Install

Hello all, I just installed RW Carbon lip (despite reading about their mirrors, hoping it's just the mirrors that are effected. A lot of the M3\M4 guys really like their CF Lip and have had zero issues from what i have found).

Shipment only took a week. Picked up the item at the local shipment office (due to signature required), luckily it was able to fit in the car with the seats folded down.

It was packaged well enough and wrapped around many times to avoid scratching. It is extremely light, seems to be made out of the real deal, and pre drilled holes! It does not come with instructions or installation equipment, but that's because you use the OEM screws (well except for two read below for more info).

Next it was time to drive up some ramps to check out what i needed to do to install. It was pretty easy to locate the 6 screws you need to take out to install the lip.

(4 in the center [2 in the rear U pockets and two right in front of it]and two on the ends of the front bumper)

*Lip has already been installed in the image below

Next place 3M double sided tape (i ran out, but i would recommend placing all over the area)

Now, the finish on the inside of the lip is rough, i would highly recommend one person under car, and two people on the side to line up the lip to its placement, otherwise you can easily scratch the paint.

Now that the lip is on there, start with the two outside OEM screws, then screw in the OEM screws at the center rear of the lip (the deep end).

You are almost done, however, you will notice that the OEM washers are too large to fit into the final two holes at the front center of the lip. I tried taking the washer off but simply couldn't.

I went to the local store and bought similar sized screws (you want it the SAME length, otherwise the screw will go through the other side of the bumper).

I placed a few smaller washers on the new non-oem screws and you are DONE!

After you have completed the installation, you will want to use a block of wood to clear the ramps as the lip will touch it.

Overall it makes the car look so much more aggressive! I would not recommend a suspension drop with this lip (unless you go with Dinan half an inch spring set up)

The fitment with the hole alignment is spot on, and the upper part into the "vents" about an 8 out of 10. You can see a little blue peaking through, but not enough to bother me.

EDIT: Perhaps the 3M tape is what's stopping the lip from completely closing the gap, but as I stated before, it is only a small line of blue.

BEFORE:

AFTER (Excuse the terrible picture quality, I just finished tonight, will get better pics in the morning. The Carbon Fiber pattern matches my Mirror carbon fiber replacement caps:

EDIT March 10 - Some day time pics (sort of)

Last edited by StarMan; 03-10-2016 at 06:23 PM..
Appreciate 7
Taunto281.50
RotorOver295.50
deathking134.50
      03-02-2016, 05:36 AM   #2
Total madness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB2

Great job looks awesome !!!
Mind sharing your deal ?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
M-tavo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

I love it!.. I was looking all over to see if someone had experience with it.. thinking about going for it myself!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total madness View Post
Great job looks awesome !!!
Mind sharing your deal ?
I just got it directly from their website.

The eBay look alike do not come with pre drilled holes (at least the ones I saw)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-tavo View Post
I love it!.. I was looking all over to see if someone had experience with it.. thinking about going for it myself!
Yea I found a few M Performance thread but none for any Carbon Fiber ones. I'm really happy with it and glad it worked out.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:38 AM   #5
YYZF22N55
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Looks clean!! Now get rid of the wheel gap ??
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 10:01 AM   #6
robman23
Private
Rep
Drives: M235

That is a great look. Can you clear driveways without scrapping?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 10:12 AM   #7
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYZF22N55 View Post
I want to, i hate wheel gap! I'll drive around a bit more to see if she scrapes. If not, because it's my DD, I'll be going with the Dinan Springs. Least amount of drop at half an inch in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robman23 View Post
I drove out at an angle from my driveway without scrapping, i was already scraping with stock head on. I'll measure to see how much lower the lip is. I want to say right at or under half an inch.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:26 AM   #8
YYZF22N55
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv
Quote:
I want to, i hate wheel gap! I'll drive around a bit more to see if she scrapes. If not, because it's my DD, I'll be going with the Dinan Springs. Least amount of drop at half an inch in the front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robman23 View Post
I drove out at an angle from my driveway without scrapping, i was already scraping with stock head on. I'll measure to see how much lower the lip is. I want to say right at or under half an inch.
You can look into KW Height adjustable springs!! Not sure if they make it for the 2er yet but provides more flexibility than traditional springs
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:57 AM   #9
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You can look into KW Height adjustable springs!! Not sure if they make it for the 2er yet but provides more flexibility than traditional springs
Ah yes, i've used similar suspension set up with TC Kline adjustable adapters on previous cars i have owned.

KW does not have the Height adjustable adapter available for the 2 series
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 11:59 AM   #10
tenfour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: at the speed limit

Looks good!!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:38 PM   #11
M-tavo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Yea I found a few M Performance thread but none for any Carbon Fiber ones. I'm really happy with it and glad it worked out.
I had the M Performance front lip, but the tire shop forgot that the car so low that they broke it when driving onto the lift... I want to get the CF one but my fear is that the CF will not flex like the OEM one lol
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 08:28 PM   #12
HiCookie
Rep

How you guys able to remove the screws? they looks round what tool
I can use to pop up the screws, looking for the front bump and would
like to try install by my self.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #13
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCookie View Post
How you guys able to remove the screws? they looks round what tool
I can use to pop up the screws, looking for the front bump and would
like to try install by my self.

Easy to do it yourself. Just need a 8mm socket ratchet and some 3M double sided tape is all.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #14
HiCookie
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Easy to do it yourself. Just need a 8mm socket ratchet and some 3M double sided tape is all.
like this?

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 09:41 PM   #15
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiCookie View Post
like this?

Close but that will not work for the screws in the deep pockets.

just buy yourself a set of Socket set (make sure it comes with an extender)

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-1-4...0SWS/202923517
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #16
Spoolin Montego
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16 m3/20 x5m/23 m3

Very nice!! any future aero plans?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 03:09 PM   #17
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Looks good! Now just get rid of that gap!
      03-10-2016, 06:18 PM   #18
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin Montego View Post
Very nice!! any future aero plans?
Exotics Tuning Style CF Trunk Spoiler from RW as well (I have it on order, but they are on Back order for a couple of weeks )

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMRWheels View Post
Looks good! Now just get rid of that gap!
I had H&R springs, but returned them. I may get Dinan springs, won't git rid of the gap entirely but it'll look slightly more aggressive
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 11:39 AM   #19
MmattersF22
Rep
Drives: Mineral White m235i w/ coral

How's the lip spoiler holding up? I know there was some question as to the longevity of the RW carbon products. I've personally purchased the rw mirror caps and they look great, but I've only had them on for a few weeks now......it's been almost 9 months since your install, mind sharing any feedback on how the lip is looking and working out for you? Any discoloration, chipping, etc?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 11:06 PM   #20
42395_skyline
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Install looks great! I am also wondering how it's holding up, as I am thinking of going with this lip as well. I'm also wanting to go with the Dinan springs, have you got them yet? Pics?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #21
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmattersF22 View Post
How's the lip spoiler holding up? I know there was some question as to the longevity of the RW carbon products. I've personally purchased the rw mirror caps and they look great, but I've only had them on for a few weeks now......it's been almost 9 months since your install, mind sharing any feedback on how the lip is looking and working out for you? Any discoloration, chipping, etc?
The lip still looks new (and it's my daily). The bottom of it (though you cannot see it) has scraped quite a bit and i'm on stock suspension. There are no discoloration (and it's been in some brutal hot summer temps) and no bubbling. Of course i detail and wax my car (including the carbon fiber bits) twice a year.

The rear spoiler is also doing great, no discoloration, bubbling, or chips. Been to the track twice at over 100MPH and still holding strong with just 3M double sided tape.

The mirror caps, on the other hand, is a totally different story. I haven't gotten the white marks or discoloration, but one sort of started to bubble up. I want to say the mirror caps are manufactured from a different factory than the lip and spoiler.

Bottom line, the CF Wing and front Lip still look new since the day i bought them.

I'd skip on the mirrors though. Either get painted matched mirror caps or get the screw on OEM BMW mirror caps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42395_skyline View Post
Install looks great! I am also wondering how it's holding up, as I am thinking of going with this lip as well. I'm also wanting to go with the Dinan springs, have you got them yet? Pics?
I decided not to get lowering springs. I left the suspension alone. I am already scraping going into my driveway and into the work parking lot. If I had lowered my car, the lip would have been a goner for sure. I work in the City so the streets aren't the best for it.

Last edited by StarMan; 01-07-2017 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 1
jpnh1423.50
      03-04-2023, 08:18 PM   #22
MarcJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F23 M240i LCI

How easily can this lip be removed without damaging the original bumper ?
I'd like to remove the one installed on the car I bought last week.
Appreciate 0