THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Feature Installer error - Mac Parallels- VIN recognised in Esys and Feature Installer

05-05-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
Msteer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M240, Volvo S60

Feature Installer error - Mac Parallels- VIN recognised in Esys and Feature Installer

Hi all,

Currently having an issue where a respected coding company (well reviewed) are struggling to perform a NBTevo 5-6 and Apple CarPlay installation. I am running Windows 11 in Parallels (Virtual Machine) on a MacBook Pro, using a USB C dongle for ethernet.

There appears to be no issues with using Esys - with the car being detected and required operations being performed. Likewise, Feature Installer connects and receives the Car Vin. However, when attempting to install the Apple CarPlay FCS (and others I believe), the system is failing at 'Phase 1' - with it failing at 'connecting to remote cloud services'. Any ideas regarding what may be the reason for this? Could it be virtualisation, windows 11, internet speed?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 10:35 AM   #2
juantg93
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW F22

This error is because the program cant connect to internet.

Check preferences of network in parales or virtual machine.

I dont know.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:48 PM   #3
boldorider4
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 220i F22

Check your internet connection. That's most likely the issue here.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2023, 10:36 AM   #4
kubax86
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msteer View Post
Hi all,

Currently having an issue where a respected coding company (well reviewed) are struggling to perform a NBTevo 5-6 and Apple CarPlay installation. I am running Windows 11 in Parallels (Virtual Machine) on a MacBook Pro, using a USB C dongle for ethernet.

There appears to be no issues with using Esys - with the car being detected and required operations being performed. Likewise, Feature Installer connects and receives the Car Vin. However, when attempting to install the Apple CarPlay FCS (and others I believe), the system is failing at 'Phase 1' - with it failing at 'connecting to remote cloud services'. Any ideas regarding what may be the reason for this? Could it be virtualisation, windows 11, internet speed?
Best way is to use native Windows though
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2023, 01:55 AM   #5
boldorider4
Private
Rep

It's most likely that you don't have internet access.
One good way of knowing is firing a command prompt and entering 'ping 8.8.8.8'. If you get a timeout response, then you don't have internet access.
Feature Installer will use internet access to verify with its server that the code that you put in is valid.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2023, 09:25 AM   #6
andikarre
Rep
Drives: F31

Is there a solution?

Have the same problem. Running FeatureInstaller on a Bootcamp Windows installation. The code is recognized, but then it says "Connection to remote-cloud-service failed".
Internet is availible over hotspot.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2023, 05:20 AM   #7
boldorider4
Private
Rep

I'd suggest you really check if the internet connection works.

It did occur to me that when FeatureInstaller was communicating with the ZGW over ethernet (w/ ENET cable plugged in) it was forcibly using the on-board ETH port on my laptop. Because I was plugging the ENET cable on a ETH port over a dongle, FeatureInstaller did not recognize that port and could not find the ZGW (therefore no VIN detected). That's a very bad programming practice (I'm a SW engineer) because it means FeatureInstaller only scans a certain set of network interfaces as opposed to all network interfaces (not surprising since it's developed for one of the worst dev platforms: windows).

Perhaps you guys are getting internet access from your phone over a USB cable and FeatureIntaller is only looking at Wi-Fi or physical ETH ports?

One quick way of experimenting would be to bridge network interfaces on windows (go to Control Panel -> Network and Sharing Center -> Change adapter settings) so that the network interface that is giving internet access to your system (typically Wi-Fi or USB if phone is plugged in via USB) is bridged to other network interfaces your Win PC may have at that moment in time, which are possibly those that FeatureInstaller is stubborn using.
Appreciate 0