THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 2016 M235i - Mod questions AND Suspension assistance

06-26-2019, 06:10 PM   #1
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

2016 M235i - Mod questions AND Suspension assistance

1) If I tune this car is a chargepipe upgrade assumed to be a given as the stock is weak.
2) Is the MHD mod the best tune? Not doing JB4... If so, how do I get the MHD tune?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. However, I am not going to do the usual DP, Exhaust upgrade or IC swap. Just the bare essentials.

Last edited by RMNB; 07-28-2019 at 05:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
BostonM235xi
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xi Beast View Post
1) If I tune this car is a chargepipe upgrade assumed to be a given as the stock is weak.
2) Is the MSD mod the best tune? Not doing JB4... If so, how do I get the MSD tune?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. However, I am not going to do the usual DP, Exhaust upgrade or IC swap. Just the bare essentials.
Upgraded CP is a must with any tune, if your not doing any mods stick with Stage 1 tune.
      06-28-2019, 01:23 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Charge pipe is a must, Bootmod3 is the overall best tune

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      06-29-2019, 08:11 PM   #4
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Charge pipe is a must, Bootmod3 is the overall best tune
With a DP and stock everything else...how much additional HP / Torque approximately on 93??
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2019, 12:02 PM   #5
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just a little update on a Sunday drive.

I didn't realize how fast and squirrely this car really is. It's still stock with the crappy Pirelli P7 Centuratto grand touring all reasons rft. sigh...

Ok so I tried to hammer it on a qtr mile stretch , Sport plus of course, and the car is very fast BUT almost out of control. The short wheel base is something to get used to for sure. Tough to keep in a straight line but the road was not perfect so I am tramlining like hell. Car pulls pretty hard for stock.

Next turn made right and hammered it, tires squeeled a bit, got a little sideways but hung on. After I shit myself I backed off a little to keep control.

Since this is my first assessment after 24hrs of getting the car I need :

1) PS 4s for sure!
2) Needs to be lowered and reduce roll.

I need the ideal set up for #2. I may not track it but I need better control since I've had an E92 which handles like a dream with just Koni FSD's on it and NOT lowered. Prior 14 335i was lowered a bit so I felt in total control. This car however has me a little nervous with how light it is and so much stock power.

So with that assessment what should I get to tame this little beast??
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #6
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Exclamation

So far I am trying to figure the best way to set up my car for safety and handling right now.

I just ordered 235/40/18 PS4's... ditching the POS Pirelli P7's. Very unsafe car right now especially with such a short wheel base. Car actually has me nervous as I go hard in a corner.

So what do I do next? Since I'm sticking with a square set up on the 7.5" wide wheels plus the new tires coming what do I do?

My initial thought is to lower the car. In order to keep some comfort would Eibach pro set springs help with the handling without compromising the ride. I'm not doing the traditional Koni coilover set up. Not me. My other E92 has Koni FSD's believe it or not and handles great, feels planted but I have Ag 19's with 235 front and 275 rears PSS, 9.5 and 10 wide wheels. I feel safe in that car but it's a totally different car.

The light precise steering which is extremely responsive btw has me thinking safety first. The car is very sketchy to drive.

Guys I need some help so I can keep this car on the road around corners and not up a tree dead.

SOS! Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #7
Pairadime
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Stock Tires are crap. Car has a tendency to understeer in corners. Don't drive with traction control off with stock tires.

If you push your car hard, it might be a good idea to upgrade to M3/M4 Front Lower Control Arms - Alignment is must afterwards. Car is undrivable if not aligned properly. I managed to get 2 degrees of negative camber up front with the M3/M4 Lower Control arms and 1.8 degrees of negative camber in the rear with stock parts

Most people seem to go with Dinan Springs - everybody seems to like how comfortable they are.

I am very happy with my federal evoluzion st-1's - I like to take my car to autocross events and they are very predictable with a high amount of grip, not as good as my Bridgestone RE-71r's but very good for a cheap tire.

There's my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
RMNB365.00
      08-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadime View Post
Stock Tires are crap. Car has a tendency to understeer in corners. Don't drive with traction control off with stock tires.

If you push your car hard, it might be a good idea to upgrade to M3/M4 Front Lower Control Arms - Alignment is must afterwards. Car is undrivable if not aligned properly. I managed to get 2 degrees of negative camber up front with the M3/M4 Lower Control arms and 1.8 degrees of negative camber in the rear with stock parts

Most people seem to go with Dinan Springs - everybody seems to like how comfortable they are.

I am very happy with my federal evoluzion st-1's - I like to take my car to autocross events and they are very predictable with a high amount of grip, not as good as my Bridgestone RE-71r's but very good for a cheap tire.

There's my 2 cents
Good to know about the Dinan springs. I've had H7R sport before and felt it was too harsh. Just don't want harsh stiff ride BUT the bastard rolls so...what would you do for roll? Bigger roll bars or just springs?

The P4's handle great so I've got that going. BM3 it sounds to be the trick with a CP for sure. I wish I had gone with 19's and p4s as the these little skinny stock rims make it look like a milf mobile without the fat ass which I like in any bmw. I'm kicking myself....VMR 802's in bronze, 19x8 and 19x9 would be perfect imo. Still lurking...
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 05:06 PM   #9
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Just purchased BM3 from Mike at Xtreme. Also, CP, intake and H&R springs.
Next is VMR 802's - 19x8.5 - 19.9.5 - 225/35/19 and 255/30/19 with WHAT TIRES??? With H&R sport springs, 19's , ET-35fr & ET45r my boy MO has the exact set up I'm looking for BUT I think he is running Nitto tires instead of my go to mich p4's. However, is it true that P4's run a little bigger than Nitto tires? Tire experts chime in!!!
Appreciate 0