THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning FMIC options for the F23

12-01-2016, 03:11 PM   #1
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i vert

FMIC options for the F23

I just got a Stage 2 Dinan and Dinan intake. In talking to Dinan they indicated that due to significant extra bracing on the vert they do not offer a FMIC. So just wondering if anyone has done this upgrade and if so what did you get?

Thanks,

Lou
2011 and 2012 135i Convertible Cobb AP Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:55 PM   #2
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

The Dinan is one of the largest and least plug n play solutions even for the F22 (too much cutting and drilling for me, they wanted to be different).. Look at the VRSF Race, VRSF Street HD, ER Competition, AMS Intercooler, Wagner Evo1 / Evo2 (Comp/pro) they are all good solutions...Anything bigger than Stock is an improvement.

I'm not sure on the compatibility with the F23.. Best to find out the one you want and talk to our forum sponsors, and/or contact the manufacturer direct. Some are on here via PM.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipphreak View Post
The Dinan is one of the largest and least plug n play solutions even for the F22 (too much cutting and drilling for me, they wanted to be different).. Look at the VRSF Race, VRSF Street HD, ER Competition, AMS Intercooler, Wagner Evo1 / Evo2 (Comp/pro) they are all good solutions...Anything bigger than Stock is an improvement.

I'm not sure on the compatibility with the F23.. Best to find out the one you want and talk to our forum sponsors, and/or contact the manufacturer direct. Some are on here via PM.
Thanks for the info I'll look at the ER, had that on my E88
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #4
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerlk View Post
Thanks for the info I'll look at the ER, had that on my E88
ER, Wagner and VRSF should all fit

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 05:15 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Pretty much anything but the Dinan FMIC fits.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 09:45 AM   #6
ChrisFulton
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

"ER, Wagner and VRSF should all fit"

"Pretty much anything but the Dinan FMIC fits."

Mike @ Extreme Power & Jeff @ Top Gear, and anyone else with the info;
is there any advantage to the Dinan? How does it compare fit/finish & functionality with the other options out there?

Just looking at photos, the Wagner appears to be a more refined product than the VRSF.
Looking at the Dinan installation PDF, it appears to just require some cutting of a couple of plastic bits to fit.

If price and a little cutting is of no concern, which of these intercoolers is of superior fabrication and performs best?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2016, 11:54 AM   #7
zipphreak
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: m235xi

Unless you are running a 500hp 20+psi boosted up N55.. The gains between them will be hard to notice. But if you are running the car at the track, or 1/4 mile constantly there is some gain. Really don't need to upgrade the intercooler unless you start doing some other mods, downpipe, tune, etc.. Once you add more boost the intercooler starts to get overwhelmed quickly even for a DD.

VRSF is basic coating , polished aluminum
ER has polished, and offers the black anodized for extra $.
Wagner has a black anodized on all of them.
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2016, 12:04 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFulton View Post

Mike @ Extreme Power & Jeff @ Top Gear, and anyone else with the info;
is there any advantage to the Dinan? How does it compare fit/finish & functionality with the other options out there?
Each product has its pros and cons of course, but in terms of performance from the datalogs posted Dinan does not outperform the top Wagner or VRSF intercoolers

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 06:34 AM   #9
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Warranty becomes the issue for me. With the Dinan FMIC I have full Dinan warranty, if I have a Dinan tune...which I do, and another vendor's FMIC then.....So I think I'll stay with the stage 2 tune and intake.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2016, 12:02 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Warranty becomes the issue for me. With the Dinan FMIC I have full Dinan warranty, if I have a Dinan tune...which I do, and another vendor's FMIC then.....So I think I'll stay with the stage 2 tune and intake.
What kind of warranty work do you expect to be done on an FMIC?

By the way most intercoolers out there have warranty including (VRSF, Wagner,Evolution Racewerks)

But to honest with you, as a vendor we never had to do any warranty work on any intercooler

Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's not really the intercooler that I'm concerned with it's having aftermarket from multiple companies and them pointing the finer at the other. For instance, Dinan states that in order to properly run their stage 3 flash you need a big intercooler like theirs or heat soak may be an issue. Now whether heat soak could cause component failure...I'm not certain. But I cannot afford to have uncovered warranty issues on at 55k car. I will discuss it with my dealer who also is the Dinan dealer and see if they are willing to "work with me" if there are issues. I've been dealing with them for years so if they say yes then I may go ahead and get the intercooler and have them install it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 05:17 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's not really the intercooler that I'm concerned with it's having aftermarket from multiple companies and them pointing the finer at the other. For instance, Dinan states that in order to properly run their stage 3 flash you need a big intercooler like theirs or heat soak may be an issue. Now whether heat soak could cause component failure...I'm not certain. But I cannot afford to have uncovered warranty issues on at 55k car. I will discuss it with my dealer who also is the Dinan dealer and see if they are willing to "work with me" if there are issues. I've been dealing with them for years so if they say yes then I may go ahead and get the intercooler and have them install it.
Pretty good sales pitch by Dinan, surely you aren't believing it?
Appreciate 2
crbalch472.50
      12-08-2016, 08:18 PM   #13
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I don't view it as a sales pitch. I asked Dinan about the possibility of using a smaller intercooler with the stage 3 flash and they were concerned with potential heat soak. Seems to me a sales pitch would be " Oh sure...no problem...just buy the software and harness and it'll be fine."
So I appreciate their position and will ask Leith BMW as they are my Dinan dealer. And if they're willing to stand behind using a VRSF, ER... whatever, I will do it. But I will not put myself in a potential finger pointing situation between BMW...Dinan and the 3rd party FMIC vendor
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 06:09 AM   #14
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
So I appreciate their position and will ask Leith BMW as they are my Dinan dealer. And if they're willing to stand behind using a VRSF, ER... whatever, I will do it. But I will not put myself in a potential finger pointing situation between BMW...Dinan and the 3rd party FMIC vendor
To be clear, your BMW dealer is also a Dinan dealer, and you already had Dinan stage two.

Other company's ICs must save you a couple grands to make you interested.
      12-22-2016, 05:59 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well I don't view it as a sales pitch. I asked Dinan about the possibility of using a smaller intercooler with the stage 3 flash and they were concerned with potential heat soak. Seems to me a sales pitch would be " Oh sure...no problem...just buy the software and harness and it'll be fine."
You are welcome to believe whomever you want. I wouldn't dare turn this into a finger pointing situation as you call it.

However, if you want my opinion based on 15+ years of modifying vehicles (no sales pitch); There are products available that can achieve the performance standard and heat soak control that should suffice with flying colors. Only and only if someone is willing to take my word for it and do the testing, will they know. Until then, anyone who says no other intercooler option available will suffice is just spitting out untested babble. I like to let data and real world results speak for themselves, not just taking someones word for it (including mine). So take it with a grain of salt.
Appreciate 1
      12-23-2016, 07:48 AM   #16
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the input and for the record I agree with you completely. And not to beat a dead horse but the concern is if there is a warranty claim and I have an intercooler NOT from Dinan or BMW. My 56k investment is at risk. Now I may still go with another intercooler, but will talk with the dealer first since they are the Dinan dealer and have added other 3rd party gear to my previous rides.

Thanks again
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #17
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the input and for the record I agree with you completely. And not to beat a dead horse but the concern is if there is a warranty claim and I have an intercooler NOT from Dinan or BMW. My 56k investment is at risk. Now I may still go with another intercooler, but will talk with the dealer first since they are the Dinan dealer and have added other 3rd party gear to my previous rides.

Thanks again
I get what you're saying, but since Dinan does not offer an IC for your car you could be justified in going with a different company. Verify with Dinan in writing (email, etc)
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 12:57 AM   #18
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

Well this is a somewhat old thread, but I have some new information on M235 / F23 intercooler options and thought I would put it here rather than start a new thread with essentially the same subject. First of all I would like to thank Mike at X-PH for working with me on this. Mike is a great guy, runs a great operation, and stands by his products.

So bad news none of the really large intercoolers are going to fit your F23. There is a bracket in front of the radiator / intercooler that connects a bottom brace to the bumper structure. This really limits space. The coupe does not have this brace, so a big FMIC fits no problem. Attached are pictures that show the bracket from the bottom with the stock FMIC, and another from the front with the bumper removed when I thought I would be installing an ER FMIC. Guess I could have saved a lot of time if I pulled the bottom panel off first or at least took a closer look through the grille... It's too bad because the ER race IC I was hoping to fit is a really well built unit.

In the end I went with a Wagner EVO1 competition FMIC. Even though Wagner says the EVO2 will fit, I don't see how this possibly could be the case since the bottom plate of the EVO1 is just touching the bracket. The EVO1 is 20mm thicker than stock, and that is about all the room you have. Have to say this doesn't make me entirely happy, but it is the structural plate on the bottom. Perhaps when I get some more motivation in the near future to pull the bumper I'll take the bracket off and remove some superficial material on the back side to give a little more clearance.

Chances are some of the other smaller stepped designs would work, provided they don't eat up more space than 20mm beyond the front of the stock cooler. I didn't try any of the other smaller stepped ones, but if they are no bigger than the Wagner EVO1 they should fit.

The install of the IC is rather straight forward. I didn't have to cut the shroud bottom that directs air to the IC. It does bend down far enough to slide the IC up. Just make sure that when installing you have the tabs on the outer tanks in the correct slot on the guides. It is possible to get it into position, but if the tabs are not in the slots it will be obvious when you try to screw it back in.
Attached Images

08-15-2017, 06:07 AM   #19
runnerlk
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA
Well this is a somewhat old thread, but I have some new information on M235 / F23 intercooler options and thought I would put it here rather than start a new thread with essentially the same subject. First of all I would like to thank Mike at X-PH for working with me on this. Mike is a great guy, runs a great operation, and stands by his products.

So bad news none of the really large intercoolers are going to fit your F23. There is a bracket in front of the radiator / intercooler that connects a bottom brace to the bumper structure. This really limits space. The coupe does not have this brace, so a big FMIC fits no problem. Attached are pictures that show the bracket from the bottom with the stock FMIC, and another from the front with the bumper removed when I thought I would be installing an ER FMIC. Guess I could have saved a lot of time if I pulled the bottom panel off first or at least took a closer look through the grille... It's too bad because the ER race IC I was hoping to fit is a really well built unit.

In the end I went with a Wagner EVO1 competition FMIC. Even though Wagner says the EVO2 will fit, I don't see how this possibly could be the case since the bottom plate of the EVO1 is just touching the bracket. The EVO1 is 20mm thicker than stock, and that is about all the room you have. Have to say this doesn't make me entirely happy, but it is the structural plate on the bottom. Perhaps when I get some more motivation in the near future to pull the bumper I'll take the bracket off and remove some superficial material on the back side to give a little more clearance.

Chances are some of the other smaller stepped designs would work, provided they don't eat up more space than 20mm beyond the front of the stock cooler. I didn't try any of the other smaller stepped ones, but if they are no bigger than the Wagner EVO1 they should fit.

The install of the IC is rather straight forward. I didn't have to cut the shroud bottom that directs air to the IC. It does bend down far enough to slide the IC up. Just make sure that when installing you have the tabs on the outer tanks in the correct slot on the guides. It is possible to get it into position, but if the tabs are not in the slots it will be obvious when you try to screw it back in.
Great info thanks. I never did the upgrade, but reading back through the thread I will look at it again.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2017, 02:30 PM   #20
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M235SDCA View Post
\ First of all I would like to thank Mike at X-PH for working with me on this. Mike is a great guy, runs a great operation, and stands by his products.

\
Thank you for the kind words and the heads up regarding convertible 2 series IC fitment

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 12:48 PM   #21
M235SDCA
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 M235 Vert

New update. So I had the Wagner EVO1 installed for about a week, knowing that the front F23 brace was just touching the intercooler. After removing the brace, it there were no marks on the intercooler from the brace, so there can't be much interference. still, I didn't like the brace touching the intercooler so decided to modify the brace.

Unfortunately this requires taking off the front bumper cover, removing the brace underneath and finally removing the brace that is mounted to the bumper structure. Here is a thread on taking the bumper off. All of the 8mm screws make this a little tedious. I bought a HF mini 1/4" air ratchet which speeds the process some.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1006399

You will need an angle grinder with an abrasive wheel and cutoff wheels to do the rest. I removed the most protruding part of the metal on the front of the brace, and also some material from the front of the parts where the bolts mount. DON'T CUT THROUGH THE TUBE. After removing the metal, the weld can be ground off without damaging the tubular structure. The picture shows the finished brace after a little dremel work and matte black paint.

Once this was done,I reinstalled the brace and bent it back slightly to get about 4mm of space between the brace and the intercooler. Note that nothing larger than a Wagner EVO1 will fit on the F23.

The first two pictures show the brace fitment before modifications. You can see the brace is right up against the intercooler. The third picture is the modified bracket. The last picture is the new space between the brace and intercooler.

Please do this at your own risk. I am not responsible for any modifications you decide to make to your car. This is something I decided to do to prevent interference between the brace and the intercooler tubing.
Attached Images

08-22-2017, 03:42 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the detailed write up, this should help many people.
Appreciate 1