THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning New owner ripped off by dealer

08-05-2019, 12:02 PM   #23
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCrow7xx View Post
I bought a car that was promised in perfect working order and 2 hours later it was abundantly clear it is not in perfect working order.

Driving home 4 hours down interstate 95 with no right tail light was not exactly a positive situation to find yourself in after paying a dealer 26 thousand US dollars...right I mean wouldn't you expect the car to work properly immediately off their lot? After being assured repeatedly it passed every safety inspection with flying colors? You don't find that the slightest bit dishonest?

I'm not rich this car basically cost every penny I have and no it doesn't have a warranty!

When someone is asking about how much it's going to cost to fix a problem it's probably because they are going to have to write a personal check for the expenses not claim it under warranty. Car is at 57,000 miles and the warranty ended at 50,000 so all parts and labor now get added to purchase cost.
You share in the blame here.

1) You allowed the dealer to push you without doing a thorough inspection of the car.

2) You bought a used BMW out of warranty.

3) You bought a used BMW out of warranty and it "cost every penny" you have. That is a monumental mistake. If you don't have AT LEAST $5K sitting in a rainy day fund to cover a repair, you could be in for a world of hurt with this car, especially xdrive which has known issues with the front differential/transfer case.

Call the selling dealer and see what they'll do for you, but be prepared for them to tell you the car was sold as used and as is. This car was very likely bought at auction. Your next option is to go to BMW and see if they'll goodwill warranty it. Your last option is to buy a new or used taillight.
      08-05-2019, 09:07 PM   #24
OldCrow7xx
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive 8A

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:
I bought a car that was promised in perfect working order and 2 hours later it was abundantly clear it is not in perfect working order.

Driving home 4 hours down interstate 95 with no right tail light was not exactly a positive situation to find yourself in after paying a dealer 26 thousand US dollars...right I mean wouldn't you expect the car to work properly immediately off their lot? After being assured repeatedly it passed every safety inspection with flying colors? You don't find that the slightest bit dishonest?

I'm not rich this car basically cost every penny I have and no it doesn't have a warranty!

When someone is asking about how much it's going to cost to fix a problem it's probably because they are going to have to write a personal check for the expenses not claim it under warranty. Car is at 57,000 miles and the warranty ended at 50,000 so all parts and labor now get added to purchase cost.
You share in the blame here.

1) You allowed the dealer to push you without doing a thorough inspection of the car.

2) You bought a used BMW out of warranty.

3) You bought a used BMW out of warranty and it "cost every penny" you have. That is a monumental mistake. If you don't have AT LEAST $5K sitting in a rainy day fund to cover a repair, you could be in for a world of hurt with this car, especially xdrive which has known issues with the front differential/transfer case.

Call the selling dealer and see what they'll do for you, but be prepared for them to tell you the car was sold as used and as is. This car was very likely bought at auction. Your next option is to go to BMW and see if they'll goodwill warranty it. Your last option is to buy a new or used taillight.
I worked at client site in NYC doing IT work from 730a to 415pm, took an uber to penn station at rush hour, caught a sprinter train to Rutgers NJ, then paid for an uber to drive me to a dealership.

I got there at 7pm so we only had 1 hour to do the entire process. I tested and vetted everything in the parking lot quite thoroughly but in my mind a turn signal is a really basic application on a premium 60k car. Never once considered it a choke point on such a complicated organism. My attention was quite reasonably? Placed elsewhere.

I had to pick the car up that night or due to my travel schedule i would be able to come back for 2 months and by then it would likely be sold. I only paid 23,500 for a fully loaded 2016. To me that was awesome.

After doing all of the negotiations and paperwork (mentally exhausted from 2 weeks in NYC at a very challenging client) I then had to climb in the cockpit and drive home 3.5 hours to DC.

The next morning I had to start manual labor/logistics of merging two houses into one apartment.

So yes, paying 26,000 to have a rudimentary system malfunction as I drove it off the lot after being promised safety was the number one priority in their inspections seemed a little unfair to me.

Clearly I will be keeping my BMW related experiences to my self next time after the response this thread has generated.

I suppose thats what I get for sharing my life with strangers on a network of computers. Thought this was a fun place to shoot the breeze but apparently its not.

2016 F22 M235 8A HK NBTevo | CTS HEX Intake | CTS Chargepipe | Gplus Intercooler | VRSF DP | BM3 Stage 2+ | 18" CSL Replicas | XHP X-Delete
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #25
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Well you posted on a public forum so you should be prepared for varying types of comments. This isn't Facebook.

We understand that you're busy, had a long day/week, etc., but it's not a valid excuse to allow the dealer to push you through the inspection and buying process. Short of buying a house, buying a car is usually the second largest purchase for most people and it's boggling to me that people can spend so little time before pulling the trigger on something so expensive.

Also, there is a high probability that the taillight failure occurring shortly after purchase was simply coincidence. If the taillight was broken when you bought the car, the DME would throw a CEL within a minute of starting the car as it runs through the system checks. You can't clear these codes in hopes of them to only return hours after buying the car. The CELs will show back up nearly instantly.

You bought an out of warranty BMW and should be prepared to address issues. These cars aren't perfect.

Also, if the car cost you every penny how did you manage to buy a couple grand worth of mods for it right away? I assume the taillight is now fixed?
      08-07-2019, 05:53 AM   #26
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

Exclamation

OP, Poochie is spot on! What is the dealer doing for you? Warranty coverage or good faith??
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      08-13-2019, 04:44 PM   #27
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I shouldn't need a warranty on the drive out of the dealers parking lot! Lol my god man the car shouldn't be having any issues just driving her home...I think thats a fair expectation even for a used vehicle.

The salesman was super nervous and anxious to get the test drive over as fast as possible and was trying to talk numbers the entire 90 seconds I was behind the wheel for the test drive. It could have been throwing codes and I didn't even notice due to his posturing and distraction. I tried to pay attention but was running on empty mentally from work week/travel.

I play the numbers in life, and the odds of this failing the moment I drive home but at no point in time before are very very long odds. That would be uncanny that after 4 years of existence and usage this device chose to fail just moments after we signed the papers and moved money...

Maybe I'm crazy. Maybe we'll go to mars. Who knows.

Thanks to whoever posted that diagram stating this is a known problem.

Cheers
I can assure you, parts fail at random and without notice. In this case, it is a common characteristic/flaw of the vehicle, I'd still chalk it up to coincidence. I've worked at a car dealership for 4 years, I can assure you there is no way to magically make your lights work before you leave and then have them fail shortly after you buy the car. That being said, I understand your frustration. I've been there many a times with frustrations and vehicles. New/Old. Parts fail at random a lot of times. I've had 3 motors fail (not on this platform) and guess what, just seconds prior it was running PERFECT!

I've had a CEL appear just 23 miles after purchasing a new car. I've had a family member have a vehicle catch fire just weeks after purchase and a total loss. Another family member bought a brand new BMW and had to return with under 100 miles and have it replaced entirely with a new car! It's just the nature of machines and failures.

As a mechanic, we've had customers come in for brakes and oil changes and blame us when their passenger seat (never touched, used or sat in) broke. Coincidental failures just happen.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:00 PM   #28
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
I had the same issue (if you open the link in the first response you'll see a post I made about it). It happened suddenly and it is not easy to clear the codes, so I sincerely doubt that the dealer was covering it up. 2 Series are low-volume cars compared to 3 and X Series, so it's highly likely they didn't know about this issue beforehand. My dealer actually had to keep the car longer because they replaced one side, submitted to BMW NA for reimbursement, and only then were told that the TSB instructs them to replace the ground for BOTH sides of the taillights.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #29
RocketF22
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i - 6SPD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcompact View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason Hatcher View Post
Sorry, how were you "ripped off"?
I'm wondering that as well...

im not sure how it is in your state or if state even matters but here in CA u get a 30 day warrantee or 1500 miles to get anything fixed.
      10-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #30
shark715
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 50i, '16 M235xi vert

OP, you might want to be aware that the state of New Jersey requires dealers to provide a minimal warranty upon the sale of a used car. Do a search and you will see the details. Of course on a practical basis this is probably not going to help you because you are four hours away. and it sounds like you will be covered under the extended factory warranty for this issue anyway.

BTW, who was the dealer?
Appreciate 0