THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions INSTRUMENT PANEL: No Longer Seeing SPEED LIMIT Detection / Information

01-05-2018, 01:33 PM   #1
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Question

I'm unsure if this question belongs in the Coding section but here goes...

I have a 2014 (Oct 2014) M235i for USA Market; CPO.

I could have sworn I had this feature where the vehicle would display the current speed limit in the instrument cluster with a white speed limit icon. A couple months ago I noticed I no longer see it. In looking at the owner's manual (see pic attached), it shows you can switch it on. I've tried that but there's no such option in the iDrive. I've done some basic changes with Bimmercode (windows open w/keyfob, sidemarkers LEDs, etc) and don't think I changed anything that would disable this feature.

Is the Speed Limit Detection / Information a standard feature on the M235i? Or do you have to subscribe to BMW services su?ch as ConnectedDrive Services or Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information.

If I'm in the wrong sub-forum, please let me know. Thanks.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 09:07 PM   #2
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you might need the RTTI... most likely you are past the 3 year free subscription at the end of October 2017 and that's when it stopped working
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 10:41 PM   #3
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

I bought my 2014 used after its 3 year mark and never saw that feature, so it could be part of the RTTI feature.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #4
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
you might need the RTTI... most likely you are past the 3 year free subscription at the end of October 2017 and that's when it stopped working
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
I bought my 2014 used after its 3 year mark and never saw that feature, so it could be part of the RTTI feature.
Thank you both! I had suspicion that was the case as I received mailers from BMW that my 3 year subscription had expired. I didn't give it much thought until I noticed the missing speed limit detection feature.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:41 AM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
Thank you both! I had suspicion that was the case as I received mailers from BMW that my 3 year subscription had expired. I didn't give it much thought until I noticed the missing speed limit detection feature.
are you going to respect the speed limit anyway ?
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 10:03 PM   #6
BodegaBay
New BMW Owner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post

are you going to respect the speed limit anyway ?
Ha! Just want to know how much over I am most times
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 04:10 PM   #7
Redbeemer
Ne Plus Ultra
United_States
Rep
Drives: Portimao Blue 2022 M240iXdrive

Speed Limit in Instrument Display

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodegaBay View Post
I'm unsure if this question belongs in the Coding section but here goes...

I have a 2014 (Oct 2014) M235i for USA Market; CPO.

I could have sworn I had this feature where the vehicle would display the current speed limit in the instrument cluster with a white speed limit icon. A couple months ago I noticed I no longer see it. In looking at the owner's manual (see pic attached), it shows you can switch it on. I've tried that but there's no such option in the iDrive. I've done some basic changes with Bimmercode (windows open w/keyfob, sidemarkers LEDs, etc) and don't think I changed anything that would disable this feature.

Is the Speed Limit Detection / Information a standard feature on the M235i? Or do you have to subscribe to BMW services su?ch as ConnectedDrive Services or Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information.

If I'm in the wrong sub-forum, please let me know. Thanks.
I have a 2016 M235i with Nav and Real Time Traffic Information and have NEVER had speed limit data in my car. I checked the owners manual and it does discuss this option, so I went out and started my car and checked both the iDrive menu as well as the button on the left side stalk which cycles through the various display options on the instrument cluster such as outside temperature, average fuel mileage, etc. but there was NO selection which offered or displayed any speed limit information. So not sure where or how this feature works. If anyone has any further information or is able to currently display the speed limit on the instrument cluster, please let me know and exactly how you enabled it. Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      01-10-2018, 08:20 PM   #8
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbeemer View Post
I have a 2016 M235i with Nav and Real Time Traffic Information and have NEVER had speed limit data in my car. I checked the owners manual and it does discuss this option, so I went out and started my car and checked both the iDrive menu as well as the button on the left side stalk which cycles through the various display options on the instrument cluster such as outside temperature, average fuel mileage, etc. but there was NO selection which offered or displayed any speed limit information. So not sure where or how this feature works. If anyone has any further information or is able to currently display the speed limit on the instrument cluster, please let me know and exactly how you enabled it. Thanks!
Maybe it's only there when you're using the nav..?
I never use the nav so I'm actually not sure anymore if mine shows like below or not.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:50 PM   #9
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Maybe it's only there when you're using the nav..?
I never use the nav so I'm actually not sure anymore if mine shows like below or not.

it should show regardless of nav like this...

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 11:29 PM   #10
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
The speed limit info does require exec package / the camera in the mirror base. AFAIK it doesn't require the traffic info though.

It uses a combination of pattern recognition from the camera, and GPS map data if the camera can't figure it out.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
jrbuzaid
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Convertible F33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
The speed limit info does require exec package / the camera in the mirror base. AFAIK it doesn't require the traffic info though.

It uses a combination of pattern recognition from the camera, and GPS map data if the camera can't figure it out.
It is possible to retrofit this ?
I have a 428 2014. Wit rain sensor, it is the same cam and navigation system professional
S521A and S609A
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2020, 04:52 PM   #12
lnol21
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2 Series M Sport

Anyone know if 2019 2 series M Sport+ has this?
Appreciate 0