THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board Firearms

08-20-2019, 05:50 PM   #3565
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
I thought that applied to all handguns except for the P320!

Not trying to insult you or anything. I just meant if a handgun is being concealed or carried, a proper holster with a trigger guard should always be used; even in the pocket (pocket holster) regardless if it's striker or hammer fired.

I agree. They should be carried by people with some training, but that applies to all firearms.
I agree with all of that. I’ve just never been entirely comfortable with the Glock trigger safety. It’s a single action trigger (albeit a crappy one with a long pull) and having one in the pipe on a draw is just a bit sketchy to me. I’ve been around long enough to know that mistakes happen and not everyone is in a constant state of training. That’s why there are two schools of thought on whether to keep one in the pipe or rack one in after the draw. Neither one is right or wrong, they just have different risks and benefits.

I just can’t stand it when people act like there is only one “right” way to carry, and discount legitimate concerns by claiming that only a moron would make a mistake that would cause those concerns to be a real world issue. In the real world, things happen quickly, unexpectedly, and under great stress. The one thing you can count on is that mistakes will be made. Unless you are John Wick, of course, in which case

I’m more comfortable with carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. I acknowledge that something could go wrong on the draw there too, but I find it more secure than a Glock on the draw. Now if they were only as reliable
      08-20-2019, 05:58 PM   #3566
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarPundit View Post
I agree with all of that. I’ve just never been entirely comfortable with the Glock trigger safety. It’s a single action trigger (albeit a crappy one with a long pull) and having one in the pipe on a draw is just a bit sketchy to me. I’ve been around long enough to know that mistakes happen and not everyone is in a constant state of training. That’s why there are two schools of thought on whether to keep one in the pipe or rack one in after the draw. Neither one is right or wrong, they just have different risks and benefits.

I just can’t stand it when people act like there is only one “right” way to carry, and discount legitimate concerns by claiming that only a moron would make a mistake that would cause those concerns to be a real world issue. In the real world, things happen quickly, unexpectedly, and under great stress. The one thing you can count on is that mistakes will be made. Unless you are John Wick, of course, in which case

I’m more comfortable with carrying a 1911 cocked and locked. I acknowledge that something could go wrong on the draw there too, but I find it more secure than a Glock on the draw. Now if they were only as reliable
ultimately carry what you're comfortable with, and practice, practice practice.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #3567
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:

I'm with you, I vastly prefer even a 1911 cocked and locked to a Glock. I've carried a Kimber of mine countless times that way with no problem, but I can't get past the idea of carrying a Glock chambered for the before mentioned issues. I'd love to get a Glock 21 due to it having the same magazines as my Vector .45, but I just can't do it.

I've been carrying my FNX .45 Tactical lately with an outside the waist band holster. I use the Sig 230gr. V-Crown JHP rounds with it.
Appreciate 1
      08-20-2019, 06:16 PM   #3568
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I'm with you, I vastly prefer even a 1911 cocked and locked to a Glock. I've carried a Kimber of mine countless times that way with no problem, but I can't get past the idea of carrying a Glock chambered for the before mentioned issues. I'd love to get a Glock 21 due to it having the same magazines as my Vector .45, but I just can't do it.

I've been carrying my FNX .45 Tactical lately with an outside the waist band holster. I use the Sig 230gr. V-Crown JHP rounds with it.
So I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but when you say you've carried various guns without issue what do you mean? Have you found yourself in a situation where you had to draw and shoot? The reason I bring this up is I suspect that the vast majority of CCW folks never actually draw and shoot so there's a lot of speculation about one pistol vs another on their part. I'd suggest that folks should pick one gun to carry and stick with it, practice with it. Practice with the holster you'll use, always use the same holster. Practice drawing and shooting, practice moving to cover because that's what you should always do. Practice clearing stoppages. He who fights and runs away.... I'm not sure why folks don't like Block, 10 of Thousands of LEO carry them for a reason. They work, always, and they are simple to use in high stress situations.

Peace

Last edited by Grumpy Old Man; 08-20-2019 at 06:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2019, 06:22 PM   #3569
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
So I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but when you say you've carried various guns without issue what do you mean? Have you found yourself in a situation where you had to draw and shoot? The reason I bring this up is I suspect that the vast majority of CCW folks never actually draw and shoot so there's a lot of speculation about one pistol vs another on their part. I'd suggest that folks should pick one gun to carry and stick with it, practice with it. Practice with the holster you'll use, always use the same holster. Practice drawing and shooting, practice moving to cover because that's what you should always do. He who fights and runs away.....
Without issue means not putting a hole in my leg/foot/or floor and not feeling intimidated at anytime like I would with a striker fire gun such as a Glock. DA/SA are all I've really owned/used since I was a kid.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      08-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #3570
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
Without issue means not putting a hole in my leg/foot/or floor and not feeling intimidated at anytime like I would with a striker fire gun such as a Glock. DA/SA are all I've really owned/used since I was a kid.
So I was going to add one thing to my post but I'll say it here. I've said it before, carry what you're comfortable with and stick with it. All of my training has included 'FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER' until you decide to shoot.
Appreciate 2
NickyC17344.50
      08-20-2019, 06:46 PM   #3571
CigarPundit
On the road to serfdom
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 DCT, 2019 Raptor

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 DCT  [0.00]
Almost all my draw training has been with a 1911, admittedly, though I have done some with the Glock 17 out of a Kydex, but not out of a carry holster.

I’ve never had an AD in my life (knocks on head), and all my training has obviously included finger off the trigger. Like I said, I love Glocks, I own Glocks, and I agree that they are super reliable. Great guns. Definitely not hating on Glocks.

All in all I prefer the American Draw to the Israeli Draw, and I do keep my finger out of the trigger guard, but...
      08-20-2019, 10:54 PM   #3572
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Just a short vid of my favorite battle rifle I just came across, the M14. It was the first weapon I qualified with in the fleet and still gets high marks from me. I presently have a Springfield M1A set up DMR style and it shoots quite nicely.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2019, 10:29 PM   #3573
Grip Addict
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Just picked up a Taran +1. I already have a Taran +2 and for IWB carrying, when I look down I always could see it sticking out. Must just be my body and the way my hoster sits against my body/pants, it bothered me.

A simple downgrade from +2 to +1 and I cannot see it through my shirt anymore.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2019, 09:21 PM   #3574
N54Yankee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: N54 135|Cobb|M3 control arms

Bought some .308 ammo today. 100 rnds of Fed Gold Match 168’s and two boxes of Federal Berger Hybrid Hunter 168’s. Going to South Carolina in Nov and hoping to get a two day hunting trip in. Hog for at least one of the days maybe both. Plan on using my M1A and going to try these new to me Berger hunting ammo and see how my rifle likes it. It tends to love 168 weight bullets.

I didn’t buy the ammo at Walmart and I never will by anything from that establishment again. They’re dead to me.
"The Constitution was never construed to authorize Congress to infringe the just liberty of the press, or the rights of conscience; or to prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms.” Samuel Adams
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 09:38 AM   #3575
chowser51
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F33 430 and F39 M35i

Garage List
Yep. I was about to buy a youth shotgun for my son's 13th birthday at Walmart but decided to just build him an AR instead. no more Walmart for me.
Appreciate 2
N54Yankee2706.00
      09-05-2019, 09:48 AM   #3576
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

What happened to walmart?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 11:03 AM   #3577
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

It has been reported that they will no longer sell ammunition for assault rifles.
      09-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #3578
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
It has been reported that they will no longer sell ammunition for assault rifles.
Well, sort of...in a pants on head wearing level of stupidity, they said they will no longer sell handgun and short barreled rifle ammunition....
      09-05-2019, 11:19 AM   #3579
Shiza
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3, X5, Ram 2500, Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
So rifle ammo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Well, sort of...in a pants on head wearing level of stupidity, they said they will no longer sell handgun and short barreled rifle ammunition....

How does that make any sense? My SBR shoots the same 556/223 as my long gun.
Appreciate 1
N54Yankee2706.00
      09-05-2019, 11:22 AM   #3580
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
That's why I called it pants on head stupidity. It makes no sense...but it does pander to the anti-gunners.
      09-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #3581
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Yeah just heard shapiro talk about it from yesterday. No hand guns or military style rifles whatever that is. The left gonna bend them over some more over wages. Corporate America needs to tell the media to stfu.
Appreciate 2
340ix1743.00
      09-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #3582
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Yeah just heard shapiro talk about it
Love his podcast...smart guy for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 01:56 PM   #3583
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

lol gotta love Brownells' latest email blast
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Run Silent15127.00
Shiza1193.00
N54Yankee2706.00
      09-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #3584
Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 90TT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiza View Post
That's why I called it pants on head stupidity. It makes no sense...but it does pander to the anti-gunners.
It makes sense when the goal isn't accuracy, but instead to vilify.
      09-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #3585
GB-335xiCoupe
Libertarian
United_States
Rep
Drives: 29k mi per year.

Quote:
Almost all my draw training has been with a 1911, admittedly, though I have done some with the Glock 17 out of a Kydex, but not out of a carry holster.

I’ve never had an AD in my life (knocks on head), and all my training has obviously included finger off the trigger. Like I said, I love Glocks, I own Glocks, and I agree that they are super reliable. Great guns. Definitely not hating on Glocks.

All in all I prefer the American Draw to the Israeli Draw, and I do keep my finger out of the trigger guard, but...
Interesting conversation you guys have been having. I just read the last page or so of this thread.

The whole controversy of carrying one in the pipe, condition 1 condition 2, etc... can be an endless debate. I feel like most of you do, that the number one safety is your brain. Regardless of the firearm, condition, situation etc.

I've been shooting guns since I was 7, and I'm 47 now. Never had an AD either. But it could certainly happen.

One side that people usually don't think of as far as having a chambered round: Someone else grabbing your gun.

If you are in a situation (obviously unpredictable) such as a robbery in a bank or restaurant, even a carjacking... The bad guys might be looking for CCW people carrying guns within the restaurant, bank, car. Yes, you can lay low, waiting for the right moment to make your move, you could wait for the right moment to NOT make a move, etc.

But if the BG is actively looking for someone carrying a gun and grabs yours - what is he going to do with it? Is he going to try to shoot you with it? Is it going to go click or bang? You know the condition your gun is in. He doesn't. That is to your advantage.

If you know that your gun does NOT have a round in chamber, that gives you a second to react to the thug who is assuming he has a ready-to-fire gun. If you know it DOES have a round in chamber, are you ready and strong enough to wrestle it from him?

Which kind of condition do you want your gun to be in if someone else grabs it? Again, just something to think about.
Maint: Walnut blast 101k, Trans/T-case Fluid 103k, OFHG 195k
Appreciate 6
      09-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #3586
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-335xiCoupe View Post
Interesting conversation you guys have been having. I just read the last page or so of this thread.

The whole controversy of carrying one in the pipe, condition 1 condition 2, etc... can be an endless debate. I feel like most of you do, that the number one safety is your brain. Regardless of the firearm, condition, situation etc.

I've been shooting guns since I was 7, and I'm 47 now. Never had an AD either. But it could certainly happen.

One side that people usually don't think of as far as having a chambered round: Someone else grabbing your gun.

If you are in a situation (obviously unpredictable) such as a robbery in a bank or restaurant, even a carjacking... The bad guys might be looking for CCW people carrying guns within the restaurant, bank, car. Yes, you can lay low, waiting for the right moment to make your move, you could wait for the right moment to NOT make a move, etc.

But if the BG is actively looking for someone carrying a gun and grabs yours - what is he going to do with it? Is he going to try to shoot you with it? Is it going to go click or bang? You know the condition your gun is in. He doesn't. That is to your advantage.

If you know that your gun does NOT have a round in chamber, that gives you a second to react to the thug who is assuming he has a ready-to-fire gun. If you know it DOES have a round in chamber, are you ready and strong enough to wrestle it from him?

Which kind of condition do you want your gun to be in if someone else grabs it? Again, just something to think about.
Again, this comes down to practice and training. Gun retention is a thing. I've had two gun grabs done on me. This is a fight for your life, still always would keep one in the chamber. If you're losing the battle then give them the gun, one piece at a time and at about 1100 FPS. Seriously there is no right answer. And the point you raise is a valid one. If you're carrying a gun with an external safety do they know how to work it? Also, if you're carrying CCW, how do they know you're carrying? I think in the situation you're describing you are actually hoping for the element of surprise.
Appreciate 2