THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning exhaust recommendations in TX

08-16-2019, 01:13 PM   #1
zsalim240i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 White M240

Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2017 white m240 a couple of weeks ago and this thing is WAY too quiet for my tastes.

Upon doing research it seems like there are endless options for exhauts(when I was getting one for my gt86, it was just catback or gtfo )

There's peeps with muffler bypasses, reasonator deletes, catback, axleback, downpipe, midpipe and all kinds of combinations.

Can you guys please provide some recommendations.

I'm looking to make the sound louder with more pops and gurgles, something that you can hear even with the windows up and something I can hear even slightly in comfort mode. I do have an infant(we don't plan on driving him THAT often in this car but it's still likely) so something that won't drone too much on the highways.

thanks!!!
      08-16-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
OC335sedan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is coupe

My vote is a simple muffler delete. Have one on my 2018 M240 and have done them on both my former M235i's and on past 135's too. They sound great and are not overly aggressive. Minimal drone and not nearly as loud as you'd expect (cause downpipe and cat stays stock). Super inexpensive too - my local muffler shop charges about $200 to cut off the muffler and weld straight pipe in it's place. I always put in nicer tips (1/2 inch larger than stock) which gives it a nice look.
Best advice is to start with just the muffler delete and leaver the two small resonators in place. If after that you want to add a little extra sound and pop, replacing 1 or both resonators with straight pipe will get you just a bit more.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 08:27 PM   #3
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW m240i

I am running a Dinan Intake (not much noise), cg precision DS-1 200cel catted downpipe, Dinan midpipe and stock muffler on a 2018 m240i I am tuned with BM3 stage 2 93 octane. I actually deleted the burbles because the DP gave it great sound. But if you want the burbles you can get that through the flash. They are LOUD with a DP. Lol.

Comfort mode is pretty normal. Sport and sport plus sounds mean and super fun to open up.

I'm in Wylie, TX. If your ever around the area message me. Happy to have you take a listen.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 08:28 PM   #4
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

PS. The midpipe made a huge difference in sound. Lots of folks do that mod first before the axle back.
Appreciate 1
      08-16-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC335sedan View Post
My vote is a simple muffler delete. Have one on my 2018 M240 and have done them on both my former M235i's and on past 135's too. They sound great and are not overly aggressive. Minimal drone and not nearly as loud as you'd expect (cause downpipe and cat stays stock). Super inexpensive too - my local muffler shop charges about $200 to cut off the muffler and weld straight pipe in it's place. I always put in nicer tips (1/2 inch larger than stock) which gives it a nice look.
Best advice is to start with just the muffler delete and leaver the two small resonators in place. If after that you want to add a little extra sound and pop, replacing 1 or both resonators with straight pipe will get you just a bit more.
@OC335sedan did you make any other mods to yours or just the delete? Any sound clips?
      08-16-2019, 11:37 PM   #6
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post
I am running a Dinan Intake (not much noise), cg precision DS-1 200cel catted downpipe, Dinan midpipe and stock muffler on a 2018 m240i I am tuned with BM3 stage 2 93 octane. I actually deleted the burbles because the DP gave it great sound. But if you want the burbles you can get that through the flash. They are LOUD with a DP. Lol.

Comfort mode is pretty normal. Sport and sport plus sounds mean and super fun to open up.

I'm in Wylie, TX. If your ever around the area message me. Happy to have you take a listen.
Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about the dinan MP, I heard a clip of it coupled with MPE and was not super impressed, maybe if installed along with dinan or a different exhaust may sound better.
Yeah im in Murphy every now and then which is right next to you. Will message next time I'm in your area. Thanks
      08-16-2019, 11:39 PM   #7
helloelectro
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefunkmuppet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by helloelectro View Post

Yeah I've heard a lot of good things about the dinan MP, I heard a clip of it coupled with MPE and was not super impressed, maybe if installed along with dinan or a different exhaust may sound better.
Yeah im in Murphy every now and then which is right next to you. Will message next time I'm in your area. Thanks
Cool man. PM'ing you my info. Hit me up whenever.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:31 AM   #8
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep
Drives: Bmw M240I

Quote:
Hey guys, new to the forum. Just picked up a 2017 white m240 a couple of weeks ago and this thing is WAY too quiet for my tastes.

Upon doing research it seems like there are endless options for exhauts(when I was getting one for my gt86, it was just catback or gtfo )

There's peeps with muffler bypasses, reasonator deletes, catback, axleback, downpipe, midpipe and all kinds of combinations.

I'm looking to make the sound louder with more pops and gurgles, something that you can hear even with the windows up and something I can hear even slightly in comfort mode. I do have an infant(we don't plan on driving him THAT often in this car but it's still likely) so something that won't drone too much on the highways.

thanks!!!

Akrapovic downpipe, Dinan midpipe and MPE. If you look for some of my threads, I have videos. Good luck with your search.
2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 11:39 AM   #9
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep

2017 M240I / M Performance Exhaust / Dinan Midpipe / Dinan CAI/ Akrapovic Downpipe / Dinan Stage 1 / Dinmann Front Splitter / Dinmann Rear Diffuser / M-Performance Steering Wheel / M-Performance Carbon & Alcantara Interior

Last edited by Scadam; 08-17-2019 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      08-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #10
zsalim240i
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scadam View Post

WOW! That first clip and the left turn one sound amazing!! I really like your setup and the black spoiler and diffuser looks sick! Does it ever drone on the hwys in comfort/eco pro?
      08-17-2019, 06:08 PM   #11
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

That be my stuff
      08-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #12
greg21040
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i xDrive

Quote:

thanks!!!
VRSF 200 cell DP, Dinan midpipe, MPE muffler

08-17-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
Scadam
FakeM2
Rep

Quote:
WOW! That first clip and the left turn one sound amazing!! I really like your setup and the black spoiler and diffuser looks sick! Does it ever drone on the hwys in comfort/eco pro?
No drone. Now if the radio is off you may hear a little bit you would have to listen for it. Thanks, I love the setup. The diffuser is by Dinmann.
Appreciate 1
      08-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #14
OC335sedan
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335is coupe

Replying to question above...

Nothing else done - just muffler deleted and replaced w/ straight pipe from rear axle back. On past cars I've also deleted the resonators but didn't on the 240. The resonator delete just gets you an extra 10 - 15% sound.

Bottom line is these engines sound great and there are a million exhaust combos you can do. But muffler delete is by far the most cost effective, produces a great sound, and keeps everything smog legal. (I would never consider modifying cats or downpipe in CA personally - just not worth the hassle for me when smogging or selling the car).

No doubt a downpipe will get you a few extra hp over a muffler delete - but the delete probably gains you a few over stock muffler and saves a few pounds too.

Sorry, I don't have time to record and post a sound clip but if you google it there are a few online already. And having owned a handful of N55 and N54 motor cars, the B58 honestly sounds almost the same as those, so that will give you even more to listen to online.
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

In my opinion, REMUS is the best. It'll provide a deeper and more aggressive tone without any drone. Its loud but not obnoxious

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1