THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions Is there an easy DIY fix for light curb rash?

08-06-2019, 10:58 AM   #1
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 SG 135i DCT; '18 MG M2 DCT

Is there an easy DIY fix for light curb rash?

I've got some on all four wheels. I don't know how it happened. All I know is that I'll up size the tires when I change them. The ones that BMW installed are narrower than the wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 11:15 AM   #2
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Your question had me curious, so I decided to Google it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fix+curb+rash

I'm not sure if any of those links or videos are useful, but it's probably worth checking out.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 12:40 PM   #3
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPBK View Post
I've got some on all four wheels. I don't know how it happened. All I know is that I'll up size the tires when I change them. The ones that BMW installed are narrower than the wheels.
If you have stock wheel and tyre sizes, BMW installs the maximum tyre width certified by the tyre manufacturers, i.e. 225/40-18 tyres on 7.5" wide wheels and 245/35-18 tyres on 8" wide wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:22 PM   #4
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
If you have stock wheel and tyre sizes, BMW installs the maximum tyre width certified by the tyre manufacturers, i.e. 225/40-18 tyres on 7.5" wide wheels and 245/35-18 tyres on 8" wide wheels.
I don't know what "certified" means. I seriously doubt that any manufacturer would care to certify anything. Do you only install the exact same brand and model of tire that came with the car? Different brands will have different actual dimensions for the same tire size.
Could be some marketing BS to justify their cost cutting choice. Tires are definitely cheaper as you go down in size.

In every BMW that I owned (4 so far) I've up-sized (for example, go from 245/35-18 to 255/35-18) and everything worked just fine. I'd say worked better. For example the speedometer - it's a known fact that every manufacturer sets the speedometer to read a bit faster than actual speed. That's to protect themselves from liability. If you upsize your tires one size, the speedometer gets much closer to actual speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 01:23 PM   #5
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Your question had me curious, so I decided to Google it:

https://www.google.com/search?q=fix+curb+rash

I'm not sure if any of those links or videos are useful, but it's probably worth checking out.
I was looking for folk's personal experiences and recommendations.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 02:14 PM   #6
cyclingismylife
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

My local BMW has a mobile wheel repair guy come by weekly, I have used him in the past and you could never tell the wheel was rashed before. i believe it typically costs around $125~$150 per wheel for the repair.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:32 PM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
I don't know what "certified" means. I seriously doubt that any manufacturer would care to certify anything. Do you only install the exact same brand and model of tire that came with the car? Different brands will have different actual dimensions for the same tire size.
Could be some marketing BS to justify their cost cutting choice. Tires are definitely cheaper as you go down in size.

In every BMW that I owned (4 so far) I've up-sized (for example, go from 245/35-18 to 255/35-18) and everything worked just fine. I'd say worked better. For example the speedometer - it's a known fact that every manufacturer sets the speedometer to read a bit faster than actual speed. That's to protect themselves from liability. If you upsize your tires one size, the speedometer gets much closer to actual speed.
The F22 has quite narrow wheels compared with some of the other BMW fitments, without knowing which wheel and tyre fitments you have had in the past it is difficult to say whether you have been within the wheel width range the tyre manufacturer specifies.

The manufacturer specifies a wheel rim size that a given tyre will fit on i.e. they are "certifying" the fitment. These are pretty standard now across most radial tyre sizes. In case of the 225/40-18 size, Michelin, Bridgestone and Continental all specify 7.5 to 9.0" wheel width with the optimum being 8", with the 245/35-18 size they all specify 8.0 to 9.5" with 8.5" the optimum, 255/35-18 requires a minimum 8.5" wheel width. Going down a wheel size can allow a wider tyre to be fitted to a narrower wheel, for example 235/45-17 will fit on a 7.5" to 9.0" wheel.

The easiest way to find this info is to go to sites such as tirerack.com and looking up the tyre spec info. Some tyre places will not fit tyres outside the manufacturer specified ranges, others will warn you that they are not "certified" for the wheel width you have.

A small variation beyond the range will typically just lose performance and potentially lead to uneven tyre wear due to the tread not laying flat on the road. Too much outside the range can cause the bead to come off the rim.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Appreciate 2
      08-06-2019, 07:00 PM   #9
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
I was looking for folk's personal experiences and recommendations.
That’s fair. I just thought it was interesting that there are how-to videos out there that explain how to fix this type of damage (it honestly had never occurred to me before), so I figured it was worth bringing them to your attention.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 09:03 AM   #10
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
I've seen this girl on youtube before. She has grit. I think her name is Tara
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #11
MPBK
Everyday I'm shuffling
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
She says what her name is in the video.

The rashes in my wheels are much less than hers. So I was hoping for a fix that doesn't require taking the tires off.
But one difficulty is... the finish where it's damaged is almost like a polished finish. Sanding and painting won't match nor look good. I don't want to paint the entire wheel.
Attached Images

Last edited by MPBK; 08-07-2019 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2019, 07:06 PM   #12
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:

The rashes in my wheels are much less than hers. So I was hoping for a fix that doesn't require taking the tires off.
But one difficulty is... the finish where it's damaged is almost like a polished finish. Sanding and painting won't match nor look good. I don't want to paint the entire wheel.
I’m not really sure how different types of damage are repaired.

I know that I don’t like any kind of two-part plastic mixture that gets shaped and sanded once hardened.

More severe damage can use high pressure rollers or even welding to make a repair.

But the damage in the picture above is so minor, I would not stress over it and would let it be.

Last edited by overcoil; 08-14-2019 at 02:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 10:10 PM   #13
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post

Looks like the scuff is shallow enough that you could get away with sanding and metal polish. That looks like bare/polished metal. Maybe with a clearcoat
Take your time with sanding. The less material you remove the better. Its easier to control the amount of material removed with a higher grit. But it does take longer. Patience is key. After sanding use some quality aluminum polish. If it needs more shine after that u may need a light clearcoat
      08-17-2019, 07:08 PM   #14
arsdentrepair
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW M5

I don't think you can restore your wheel with DIY. I would highly recommend calling your local wheel repair shop
      08-18-2019, 09:44 AM   #15
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Not sure where you are in the US, but this shop is good in the PNW: https://www.soundwheelworks.com/
Appreciate 0