THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack New Wheels and Tires Help

07-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
New Wheels and Tires Help

I know there is tons of info on this forum, but most of it has just led me to more questions on the best way to get the set up I want. I daily my 2018 230i, and only occasionally go out for more spirited drives. The roads here are rough and poorly designed with steep inclines into parking lots.

Right now my car is on DINAN springs and stops, front and rear with 18" run-flat factory staggered setup. It's a little rough over road imperfections, and the wet traction leaves a bit to be desired. Unless I cut hard entering exiting the main road, scraping is a real possibility.

What I want is to get a smoother ride with better wet and winter traction without getting winter tires. I'm stationed in south Alabama so snow is very rare, but it does get below freezing, and it rains a lot. Also I want to raise the ride height while keeping the lowering springs for better clearance.

In a perfect world I would like to get 19" VMW wheels with a larger offset to sit more flush with the fender. Use tires with a taller sidewall to maintain 18" ride comfort, and increase the ride height with a larger wheel/tire diameter. Effectively this would increase the ride height by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch, fill the front to back fender gap more, and not sacrifice comfort caused by a thinner sidewall.

My questions:
- Are 19" wheels a noticeably rougher ride?

- Can I safely increase the sidewall height of the tire some, and not rub without rolling fenders or using lots camber?

I've never dealt with tire and rim changes before, so I'm trying to learn as I go. Most of what I've read here are people looking to fit wider tires on the front or rear, but I haven't found anything dealing with taller. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:39 AM   #2
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
I know there is tons of info on this forum, but most of it has just led me to more questions on the best way to get the set up I want. I daily my 2018 230i, and only occasionally go out for more spirited drives. The roads here are rough and poorly designed with steep inclines into parking lots.

Right now my car is on DINAN springs and stops, front and rear with 18" run-flat factory staggered setup. It's a little rough over road imperfections, and the wet traction leaves a bit to be desired. Unless I cut hard entering exiting the main road, scraping is a real possibility.

What I want is to get a smoother ride with better wet and winter traction without getting winter tires. I'm stationed in south Alabama so snow is very rare, but it does get below freezing, and it rains a lot. Also I want to raise the ride height while keeping the lowering springs for better clearance.

In a perfect world I would like to get 19" VMW wheels with a larger offset to sit more flush with the fender. Use tires with a taller sidewall to maintain 18" ride comfort, and increase the ride height with a larger wheel/tire diameter. Effectively this would increase the ride height by maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch, fill the front to back fender gap more, and not sacrifice comfort caused by a thinner sidewall.

My questions:

- Can I safely increase the sidewall height of the tire some, and not rub without rolling fenders or using lots camber?

I've never dealt with tire and rim changes before, so I'm trying to learn as I go. Most of what I've read here are people looking to fit wider tires on the front or rear, but I haven't found anything dealing with taller. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advanced!

Current Tire Specs ?

19"s are a noticeable difference from 18s

You will certainly rub if you increase to 19's and larger sidewall. I have the DINAN springs on 19's with 255/30/19 at the rear and 225/35/19 up front and any larger i would rub.

What i would suggest is get 19's and ditch the run-flats, run-flats are louder and more harsh IMO they also handle like garbage. Get AAA or the BMW mobility kit

Hope this helps
      07-16-2019, 12:15 PM   #3
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
It's a little rough over road imperfections, and the wet traction leaves a bit to be desired. What I want is to get a smoother ride with better wet and winter traction without getting winter tires.
A tire change will help, moving away from a hardcore performance tire (and RFT) works wonders.

Quote:
absolutely.

Just remember your rim size will dictate tire selection. Not all brands/blends are available in all sizes.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 06:51 PM   #4
misterclever0ne
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M235i

following info about this help with best wheel size F+R 18x8.5 all around offset 35 or F 18x8.5 and R 18x9 offset 35 for my 2016 bmw m235i
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2019, 05:19 AM   #5
Shovelman
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i

17" wheels will get you a softer ride and less risk of tire and wheel damage on potholes. Non RFTs will do more of the same.

All season tires will get you better wet traction.

Filling the wheel wells for appearance sake is not a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #6
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shovelman View Post
All season tires will get you better wet traction.
Compared to an 'extreme performance' summer (basically a track tire) yes as they have minimal voids in tread design, but a UHP summer will have better wet than a UHP A/S of the same generation.

As for Max vs. UHP in the wet, there is no Max in A/S, it's just summer, and those have amazing wet traction (conti EC sport for example). They are considerably more expensive a category of course.

Seth
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 04:20 PM   #7
Dreculah
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

I am hoping to stick with 18" wheels since I don't see much value in 19" beyond bling.
Appreciate 0