THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Has Anyone Needed To Replace Engine?

08-07-2019, 10:44 PM   #1
BlownB58
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Has Anyone Needed To Replace Engine?

Reposting this here, initially posted in a different thread, but didn’t get many responses:

I recently learned that my M240i will need a new engine. The only modification is a Dinan Stage 1 tune and the car has less than 20k miles. I noticed that the engine was running rough after I exited the highway and slowed to a stop at a stop sign. Shortly thereafter I got a drivetrain malfunction and CEL. I carefully drove the car home (about a mile or two). It seemed like the car was just misfiring so I assumed it was a spark plug, an injector or some other ignition or fuel issue or maybe at worst a head gasket. I had it towed to the dealer and they later informed me that I need a new engine. I was shocked. Up until this point the only issue I had was a new crankshaft sensor, which I think was the subject of a recall (at the time this issue seemed significantly more serious and caused significant engine and drivetrain issues). The dealer was unable to say why I need a new engine at this time (seems like they are still looking into it), but one individual said they probably reached that conclusion after a compression test or finding metal in the oil.

I am certainly not a mechanic, but there seem to only be a few possibilities given the situation (i.e., car runs, seems to only be misfiring, and needs a new engine): (1) spun bearing, but I did not receive any oil pressure warning, (2) piston ring failure, (3) burned piston, and/or (4) a scored cylinder.

My dealer has submitted the claim to BMW, but no determination has been made yet. I also alerted Dinan in case BMW denies the warranty claim. Given the nature of the Dinan tune, it seems unlikely that it would cause any of the issues above, unless the knock sensor failed, but that would be a problem with or without the tune. Any similar experiences? Any thoughts or suggestions?

Based on the posts I have read, BMW seems to usually deny these types of warranty claims, but I’d be interested to know if anyone has had an issue that BMW covered despite the Dinan tune. It seems like Dinan is good about honoring their warranty, but any insight would be appreciated. My worst fear is that both BMW and Dinan deny warranty coverage or that it takes months to get the warranty issues figured out. This seems unlikely, but who knows... I’m not exactly on a lucky streak right now
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2019, 02:00 AM   #2
ssrriivv
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M240i xDrive coupe

The fact that you needed any engine work like the crankshaft sensor at 20k miles, might have ment your car was unusually a lemon. For most people I'd say this engine has been pretty rock solid. I think you'd be fine with your warranty. Your BMW engine warranty is certainly ruined because of the dinan. But dinan should come in and save you. As long as you didn't do anything that you shouldn't have, BMW or dinan warranties are pretty good is what I've heard. Idk if you have a manual or an automatic but if manual, the only thing that could put you at risk, is if you ever had any overrevs as those are logged by the computer. I don't think it's possible to overrev the automatic, so if you've got that, I wouldn't worry.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #3
BlownB58
Rep

I found out today that BMW is denying the warranty claim. Apparently cylinder 1 is scored and it appears that the ring or ring land is damaged. Compression on cylinder 1 was 85 while the others were normal. The ECU also indicated overboost at some point (not clear exactly when that occurred in relation to the problems with cylinder 1). BMWNA concluded that the overboost was caused by the Dinan tune and that the overboost caused the damage to cylinder 1. Based on my limited knowledge of engines, it seems that BMWNA’s conclusion requires that the overboost caused pre-ignition or detonation in cylinder 1. However, isn’t the BMW ECU and knock sensor support to adjust fuel and timing to prevent this? I don’t know enough about how Dinan piggyback tunes work, but the car did not feel any different immediately before I noticed a problem with the engine. In other words, it didn’t feel like there was any more boost than normal. Does this mean that a Dinan tune will always cause overboost readings? Or would an overboost reading only happen if something went wrong with the car and/or the tune? It also seems possible that the overboost did not happen in connection with the cylinder problem, but popped up sometime in the past. The dealer did not know when the overboost occurred or even if it happened on the same day as the engine problem. Right before the issue occurred, I did notice the car hesitate slightly at higher rpms (I was accelerating into the highway). Could the issue have actually been fuel delivery, which caused the cylinder to run lean? BMWNA as indicated that they have not seen any similar issues with any B58s so it must be the tune, but it seems that fact could justify the opposite conclusion. The issue hasn’t appeared in stock or tuned cars, which would indicate that there may have been a rare defect with a BMW part. That conclusion would make more sense if BMWNA said we have seen this before and only on tuned cars. Sorry for the long update, just a little frustrated.

Fortunately my BMW dealer has been very cooperative and understanding. They have definitely earned my future business. My Dinan dealer has been equally cooperative and helpful. I have recommended them to others in the past and I will definitely continue to do so. My car is going to be towed to the Dinan dealer for further evaluation and repair (hopefully). I have not received confirmation for sure, presumably Dinan wants to verify the cause before it makes a determination. I’m assuming they will take it up with BMW if they think or can demonstrate that BMW reached the wrong conclusion?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 06:05 PM   #4
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

It's doesn't matter if the Dinan tune cause the issue or not; any dealer would strait up deny any drivetrain claim on sheer principle, just because of the Dinan tune is installed.

That's a 100% fact.

I'm not sure what exactly trigged the ultimate issue but I wouldn't exactly blame Dinan; it sounds like you lucked out and got a weak motor, the B58 can take a few more pounds of boost and survive, its headroom is practically endless, short of the fuel pump limitations.

Dinan would cover it, so hang in there until everything is worked out.

Engine warranty void by BMW, DINAN covers. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614332
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #5
junior1954
Vader
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M240i xDrive/Estoril Blue

Garage List
Last year my '17 M240ix was totaled due to a botched oil change. The insurance company gave me a choice of totaling the car or replacing the engine with a new one. At the time there was 1 new B58 in the world (Germany). Now Toyota's putting them in the new Supra. I'd guess the B58 must be pretty reliable. I now drive a '19 M240ix.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 05:53 PM   #6
BlownB58
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
It's doesn't matter if the Dinan tune cause the issue or not; any dealer would strait up deny any drivetrain claim on sheer principle, just because of the Dinan tune is installed.

That's a 100% fact.

I'm not sure what exactly trigged the ultimate issue but I wouldn't exactly blame Dinan; it sounds like you lucked out and got a weak motor, the B58 can take a few more pounds of boost and survive, its headroom is practically endless, short of the fuel pump limitations.

Engine warranty void by BMW, DINAN covers. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1614332
I agree. I don’t think it is a Dinan issue, but probably a bad motor. In any event, Dinan confirmed that they are covering a new engine. I’m very impressed with how quickly Dinan is processing this claim. They are definitely living up to their reputation. My Dinan dealer has been absolutely great as well. It remains to be seen how long it’ll actually take to get the new engine delivered. It seems like it could take a little while unfortunately.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00
      08-12-2019, 06:15 PM   #7
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlownB58 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

That's a 100% fact.

I agree. I don't think it is a Dinan issue, but probably a bad motor. In any event, Dinan confirmed that they are covering a new engine. I'm very impressed with how quickly Dinan is processing this claim. They are definitely living up to their reputation. My Dinan dealer has been absolutely great as well. It remains to be seen how long it'll actually take to get the new engine delivered. It seems like it could take a little while unfortunately.
Good to hear! The motor was probably a dud because the B58 is built Ford tough.

It took another member roughly a month, from diagnose to finish, for Dinan to install a new motor.

I have a Dinan tune also but on a N55 and only 4 months left on my factory warranty.

I love the piggyback's tune liner approach in the build up of power, all the way to the redline, compared to my previous JB Stage 1, which screeched tires at first but lost power, at the top end. Also, the fact you can just disconnect tune, reset the adaptions and you're back at stock, is very appealing to me.

Speaking of warranty, I still have Geico Mechanical Breakdown insurance for 7 years / 100,000 miles to supplement my factory warranty and Geico cover tunes, so it's all good.
I recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 07:02 PM   #8
arhoads335i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i grand coupe xdrive

Garage List
2008 BMW 128I  [0.00]
Nice you get a brand new engine!! But over all piggyback tunes are not good the ecu is seeing false information that's why it gives it more boost.
Now because you seem to have bad luck I'd just stay with the tune Because you keep the warranty but preferably a real ecu flash is optimal.
It's crazy the computer didn't act fast enough and pull timing I used to over boost all the time in my n54. Something else must have really happened fuel dumped or just went really lean.
08 128i 6MT (SOLD) / 08 335i 6MT Pure stage 1 (SOLD)
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:23 AM   #9
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Well, I had a 2017 m240i xdrive engine replace under Dinan warranty. My cause was because the turbo self destructed. Both Dinan and BMW told me it was a freak event. This happened with Dinan stage 1 V1. My car was a 2016 Aug production, maybe it has something to do with that. Now on a 2019 model year engine, seems to be stronger in stock.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:48 PM   #10
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakoMako View Post
Well, I had a 2017 m240i xdrive engine replace under Dinan warranty. My cause was because the turbo self destructed. Both Dinan and BMW told me it was a freak event.
I forget now (too lazy to look it up), but who paid for your replacement engine?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2019, 12:58 PM   #11
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakoMako View Post
Well, I had a 2017 m240i xdrive engine replace under Dinan warranty. My cause was because the turbo self destructed. Both Dinan and BMW told me it was a freak event.
I forget now (too lazy to look it up), but who paid for your replacement engine?
Dinan did.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:14 AM   #12
bonno240i
United_States
Rep

I had engine failure at 26.000 kilometers due to oil starvation after laps on the Nordschleife. The crankshaft bearings were blown and it was replaced by BMW under warranty. The oil pan and engine itself is very poorly designed for tracking, I know of 2 others cases that also had engine failure due to oil starvation.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2019, 05:05 PM   #13
TINY BMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M240i xDrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekkface View Post
I had engine failure at 26.000 kilometers due to oil starvation after laps on the Nordschleife. The crankshaft bearings were blown and it was replaced by BMW under warranty. The oil pan and engine itself is very poorly designed for tracking, I know of 2 others cases that also had engine failure due to oil starvation.
This on the M240i? Or the M235i (Which has the N55 engine).
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:21 PM   #14
bonno240i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharpFan View Post
This on the M240i? Or the M235i (Which has the N55 engine).
M240, so B58 engine.
Appreciate 0