THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Are VMR rims really this bad?

07-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #1
Nexus313
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i 6MT

Are VMR rims really this bad?

Hey guys, I recently bought a set of VMR V710 brand new, they were nice for about a month, really smooth.. and now I feel a steady vibration at most speeds in the floor and seats.. It's not balancing as I had a RF balance done, with Plimits all under 20lb for all wheels. It was done last month when I bought the wheels. No weights fallen off. Tires are MPSS, PSI is good.

I decided to jack the car up and spin the two fronts by hand while recording, and looks like the right front already has an inner bend??! In just one month.. I didn't hit any heavy potholes either.

Is it just me or did anyone else have such an experience? Are these wheels really this poorly made? I had some doubts before buying but thought they'd last at least a few summer seasons...

See the video below and let me know what you think:

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2019, 10:20 PM   #2
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus313 View Post
Hey guys, I recently bought a set of VMR V710 brand new, they were nice for about a month, really smooth.. and now I feel a steady vibration at most speeds in the floor and seats.. It's not balancing as I had a RF balance done, with Plimits all under 20lb for all wheels. It was done last month when I bought the wheels. No weights fallen off. Tires are MPSS, PSI is good.

I decided to jack the car up and spin the two fronts by hand while recording, and looks like the right front already has an inner bend??! In just one month.. I didn't hit any heavy potholes either.

Is it just me or did anyone else have such an experience? Are these wheels really this poorly made? I had some doubts before buying but thought they'd last at least a few summer seasons...

See the video below and let me know what you think:

I had a similar issue with brand new OZ wheels. See my post in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 02:07 AM   #3
itsbeenfunmike
Rep
Drives: M235i

I've had my VMR 710 since December 2018. I daily drive my car and have put about 8k on them since. Zero issues aside from a chip in the paint on the outer rim since I hit a crappy pothole while turning into a street.

Aside from that I've had zero issues with them. I'm running. 35f 30r profile tires on them respectively and have hit some unavoidable potholes here in SOCAL with no bends on the inner/outer barrels.

You might want to contact them to see if there was an issue with a batch.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2019, 09:27 AM   #4
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

I have a set of the 710FF, which are supposed to be stronger. One of my fronts has a nice bend in it.

I live in Charlotte, the roads are GREAT here. My car is not a daily driver, it gets used randomly on the weekends mostly. I have never hit a pot hole in it, they really don't exist down here. I too have a bent VMR wheel.

I also have some issues with paint chipping, poor finishes, etc. At the end of the day they are cheap Chinese wheels.
      07-08-2019, 01:13 PM   #5
Nexus313
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post
I have a set of the 710FF, which are supposed to be stronger. One of my fronts has a nice bend in it.

I live in Charlotte, the roads are GREAT here. My car is not a daily driver, it gets used randomly on the weekends mostly. I have never hit a pot hole in it, they really don't exist down here. I too have a bent VMR wheel.

I also have some issues with paint chipping, poor finishes, etc. At the end of the day they are cheap Chinese wheels.
How's your vibrations? Do you feel anything in seats, steering, or floor boards when crusing?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2019, 09:50 AM   #6
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Quote:
How's your vibrations? Do you feel anything in seats, steering, or floor boards when crusing?
No, luckily the bend wasn't bad enough to throw off balance.
      07-15-2019, 11:36 AM   #7
9t2hoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 Cayman S

When I bought my car in 2017, I bought new summer and winter wheels. The summer wheels were BBS CHRs and the winter wheels were OZs (the model was on closeout for $159 each). I have put about 6,000 miles on the OZs and 15,000 on the BBSs. Three of the OZs are bent (with one of those being totally undriveable). The BBSs are rock solid. I will never buy cheap wheels again. Period.
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      07-15-2019, 08:26 PM   #8
Nexus313
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9t2hoo View Post
When I bought my car in 2017, I bought new summer and winter wheels. The summer wheels were BBS CHRs and the winter wheels were OZs (the model was on closeout for $159 each). I have put about 6,000 miles on the OZs and 15,000 on the BBSs. Three of the OZs are bent (with one of those being totally undriveable). The BBSs are rock solid. I will never buy cheap wheels again. Period.
Thanks.. Looks like i'm going with BBS for my winter set!!
      07-16-2019, 07:25 AM   #9
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Thanks.. Looks like i'm going with BBS for my winter set!!
I wouldn’t compare BBS CHR wheels with something cheap such as the BBS SX or SR, which are half the price, though. I’ve had no trouble in the past with a couple of sets of the more expensive OZ wheels. Really a case of you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0