THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Summer or A/S Tires

02-18-2014, 09:51 AM   #45
Esteban15
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2012 Volvo C30

the option list at the dealer said ..Runflat is a free cost option...nothing for free my folks....SA...said if no runflat its either all season or summer...non runflats
Hoping for summer...but can live with all season...and planning to take this baby to Utah...and test that 155 speed limit...can you imagine on the flats....ED delivery had one big benefit...the Autobahn.....
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #46
Esteban15
Banned
Rep

note if you get runflats on the M235i...the speed limit is reduced to 135..i think...so if you opt out late your stuck at only 135...and in Vegas...with speeding tickets..you can't leave that behind...just ask the Judge..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 04:49 PM   #47
greengoose
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's M View Post
Will do, I'll get in touch with my dealer or BMW Canada to confirm it. BMW order guides are notoriously awful so don't put your faith in them. Keep in mind that these cars (the M135/M235) have been developed with & tuned to run on the PSS's and BMW wouldn't water down the new M-Perf brand by throwing on a set of Bridgestone runflats arbitrarily....unless a customer actually wanted them.
Indeed - the order guide in this case is most definetely incorrect in specifying "rft" as standard - this a confirmed mistake from my source at BMW Canada. They will send a new version out soon.
      02-18-2014, 08:31 PM   #48
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Thanks Mark.
Was working all day today but will call tomorrow and see if I can get a backup document for Greengoose's latest post re availability of the non R/F's.

Hey I didn't realize you were doing a Euro delivery with yours. You will LOVE it and if it's your first, you'll love it even more!!! I did mine in 2010 and had a blast, documented it on the M3 forums.

Cheers and enjoy it!
      02-19-2014, 01:45 PM   #49
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWM View Post
Will you be driving it during the winter? RWD and A/S tires sucks. You run the risk of getting stuck or constantly fishtailing during acceleration in any significant amount of accumulated snow. For RWD I'd definitely go for summer tires and get a set of winters for the snowy season. If it's AWD you could probably get by with all-season but I'd still rather have a summer/winter set. It's more fun in all types of weather.
Its NOT about acceleration in winter its about STOPPING, TURNING and CONTROL. AWD has nothing to do with it. When will you guys understand??? A/S takes about 30% longer to stop on snow AND cold dry pavement than winter tires. Its a fact.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 01:46 PM   #50
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban15 View Post
the option list at the dealer said ..Runflat is a free cost option...nothing for free my folks....SA...said if no runflat its either all season or summer...non runflats
Hoping for summer...but can live with all season...and planning to take this baby to Utah...and test that 155 speed limit...can you imagine on the flats....ED delivery had one big benefit...the Autobahn.....
This is the opposite. Why would you get a cool car and put a/s on it? Why get a car that can perform the way your can and hamper it with a/s?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #51
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengoose View Post
Indeed - the order guide in this case is most definetely incorrect in specifying "rft" as standard - this a confirmed mistake from my source at BMW Canada. They will send a new version out soon.
Ok, the final word on the tires. BMW Canada just got back to me and confirmed that our cars will come with NON Run Flat's and specifically the Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The current order guide is yet to be updated (the one from November) and the mention of RFT's on it (as Greengoose also pointed out) is a mistake.

Cheers - Mark
      02-20-2014, 06:13 PM   #52
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Thanks again Mark. Funny thing - I just got an email from my CA around 5:30 today confirming the opposite!

I have to call BMW Canada tomorrow anyway on some ED scheduling issues, so I will try to get it myself from the horse's mouth. The Order Guide certainly could be clearer, but if we do get the Mich. PSS (fingers crossed) then the current Guide's description of the standard 2PG package is definitely wrong.

I tagged along with a buddy for his March 2011 ED of a 128i and was sold on the spot. We're spending 3 days in Munich, and hopefully (if weather/temp permits) driving the car to Frankfurt drop off via Rothenburg and other stops. Then spending 4 days in Paris. What's not to love about that?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #53
Mark's M
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Thanks again Mark. Funny thing - I just got an email from my CA around 5:30 today confirming the opposite!

I have to call BMW Canada tomorrow anyway on some ED scheduling issues, so I will try to get it myself from the horse's mouth. The Order Guide certainly could be clearer, but if we do get the Mich. PSS (fingers crossed) then the current Guide's description of the standard 2PG package is definitely wrong.

I tagged along with a buddy for his March 2011 ED of a 128i and was sold on the spot. We're spending 3 days in Munich, and hopefully (if weather/temp permits) driving the car to Frankfurt drop off via Rothenburg and other stops. Then spending 4 days in Paris. What's not to love about that?
You're welcome. It amazes me how many ill-informed CA's are out there nowadays. In their defence, the order guides were wrong but a true enthusiast would have realized "hey, what's wrong with this picture, why are the ROTW M235's equipped with the Michelin's and our guide says we're getting Run Flats?

Oh well, enjoy your trip and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get good driving weather. If not, drive careful as those Michelin's are not very friendly in the cold or heaven forbid, snow.

Cheers!!

PS...if you're in Munich for a few days have you considered a side trip to Garching to visit the m studios? Only a 20 minute drive from the Welt and if you send them an e-mail in advance, they might be able to accommodate you for a tour. Not a big place but fascinating and home to some interesting sights if you're there at the right time and keep your eyes/ears open. Sadly, no cameras though.
      02-20-2014, 09:03 PM   #54
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

In fairness to the CA, it's a new model with a possibly bad Guide and he's passing along what he's been told from on high.

I'm more worried about cold than snow, given the winter they've had.

Great suggestion about the M studios I'll look into that.

Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2014, 10:10 PM   #55
Esteban15
Banned
Rep

if you don't check off runflats..I am told by BMW Consumer Relations spokesperson that I talked to its..summer tires...atleast in the USA...thank god...
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 08:11 PM   #56
dalrx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWDAD View Post
Summer tires, are a tad stiff in temperatures below 40 degrees, be careful.
Huh 40 degrees would be almost desert heat! The hottest it gets in sw Ontario would be air temp 37!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #57
GFK007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban15 View Post
This is the opposite. Why would you get a cool car and put a/s on it? Why get a car that can perform the way your can and hamper it with a/s?
I went with AS because I'm going to buy a second set of 19's with summer performance tires.

(gone but not forgotten) 2011 e90 M Sport - M-Tech Carbon Diffuser, OEM Carbon Trunk Spoiler, 20% tint, black reflectors, black OEM grille, LUX white Angel Eyes.
Appreciate 0