THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning M135i/M235I Engine Bay smoke

06-17-2020, 12:25 PM   #1
DinqyWinqy
Registered
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

M135i/M235I Engine Bay smoke

For the last 6 months, I've owned my M235I and I always noticed when I drove the car hard in Sports Mode, they're would be be a small amount of smoke coming from the engine bay when I came to a stop. For a while I thought it was maybe the downpipe because of the smell that was being produced, but the volume of smoke seemed to much for it to be this issue. And I knew it was not oil because it was visible that there was no oil leaks near the exhaust or from the Rocker Cover and there wasn't any cracks on it (car only has 55k miles)and it wasn't smelling like burnt oil.

Finally today I found out what the issue was. The engine cover that covers the injectors and rocker cover has what I assume is sound deadening on it and if that material breaks off and lands on the exhaust, it produces the smell and smoke that I had been noticing.

I've never seen this be and issue talked about on the forums but I hope this post can help someone else and potentially save them from spending any money when they don't need to.
Appreciate 1
JonOhh672.00