THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Is this price excessive for brake replacement?

08-15-2019, 01:47 PM   #1
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Is this price excessive for brake replacement?

My shop says I need a brake replacement, front and rear, and are quoting me $2,239 to replace brakes and rotors. That seems pretty high to me.

I assumed the rotors were a big part of the cost, so when I asked why rotors are being replaced, he said they recommend replacing the rotors because they get worn out and pocketed.

Someone's going to ask, and I'm honestly not sure if and when the brakes have been replaced already. It's a 2016 M235i with about 70,000 miles. If they've been serviced/replaced, it would have been done under the 50k mile warranty.

So 2 questions: (1) Should rotors really be replaced? (2) If so, does that price seem fair?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

It’s complicated.

You could ask for old rotors and pads back to measure their useful life.

Lots of people go through two sets of pads for one set of rotors, though depending on use and wear characteristics rotors may get replaced with first pad replacement. If the rotors don’t look as though they’d last the life of the new replacement pads it makes sense to change them out at this time.

Wonder if a brake fluid bleed is included with the price.

The price seems correct for a dealership. Rotors, pads and wear sensors aren’t cheap at the dealership.

You could use an independent shop that specializes in BMW’s. Dealer should give you a loaner car.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:01 PM   #3
MegaMatt3
Bimmer Candidate
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235i

Thanks Scott. I should have emphasized that this is an independent shop near my house that I quite like. Not a dealership. Still a fair price?

I'll ask about the brake fluid bleed, thanks.

I could ask to look at the rotors once they're replaced, but I wouldn't know what I'm looking at (not into car mechanics, can you tell?). Overall, it doesn't sound like you're seeing any red flags in any of this. If you'd said "Replace the rotors?! Why?!", then it might be a different story.

Appreciate the feedback.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 04:46 PM   #4
accs
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

I'd say 2300 is rather high for independent. If you buy your own pads and rotors you could probably get the set for about 600 and know what you're getting. That leaves you with 1700 of labor room. I'd definitely get the parts myself and bring it to a different shop for install.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 05:20 PM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I’d get more opinions from this forum.

$2239 from an independent w/o knowing the brand of rotors and pads is too much of a ‘chance’.

Go to Tirerack and punch in your car and review their rotor and pad pricing.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2019, 12:03 PM   #6
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
If they're telling you that you need to replace components they better be backing that claim up with numbers that they've actually measured and aren't eyeballed. You can see the spec limits on NewTIS for your rotor thicknesses. IIRC BMW allows 1.6mm of thickness wear on the rotors, so even though it might sound like you're close to the min thickness, magnitude-wise, you could actually have a fair amount of life left. For pads, 5mm and below you'll probably think about changing them.

I've had places tell friends/family that their brake pads look low and should be changed, and they did kind of look low, however when I actually measured it, they had like 9mm of pad left. Plenty.

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 10:00 AM   #7
nikijack
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i, Grey, manual

It's not a difficult job. Do it yourself, or with a buddy.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 07:52 AM   #8
RMNB
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 440xi CPE BSM

My experience on 550i pads and rotors cost between $600-$700 for the rears. My indy replaced with OE everything so do that math. Sure they mark up a little for profit which is normal. I actually researched the parts and he wasn't far off.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 10:28 AM   #9
MerlinMc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikijack View Post
It's not a difficult job. Do it yourself, or with a buddy.
It is not a difficult job and this route allows you to pick the components.

I have already swapped out the pads on my new M240i. Much easier than doing the brakes on the 135i that had had awhile back.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 12:22 PM   #10
gpburdell
Private
Rep
Drives: EBII M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMatt3 View Post
Thanks Scott. I should have emphasized that this is an independent shop near my house that I quite like. Not a dealership. Still a fair price?

I'll ask about the brake fluid bleed, thanks.

I could ask to look at the rotors once they're replaced, but I wouldn't know what I'm looking at (not into car mechanics, can you tell?). Overall, it doesn't sound like you're seeing any red flags in any of this. If you'd said "Replace the rotors?! Why?!", then it might be a different story.

Appreciate the feedback.
FYI another reference point.

I took my 2015 M235i for service to an indy shop today which has a pretty good reputation. They called me and said that my brakes are right at the wear sensor and that the pads and rotors should be replaced. He quoted 705 for the front and 720 for the rear. They said they would be replacing with the same BMW OEM parts.

My car has 51k mile and most of that is ATL city driving. I did notice last winter and now that the brakes squeal when the weather is cold, not sure if that's coincidence.
Appreciate 0