THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB How can you be certain the oil was really changed?

06-07-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

How can you be certain the oil was really changed?

I take both my M235i and MB to the dealer for maintenance and oil changes. Since neither have a dipstick, how can I be sure the oil was really changed?

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 01:15 PM   #2
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "M" 235i

Put a piece of tape where they would open the oil filter housing or mark it. If they didnt change the filter, that should be reason enough to complain.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 01:31 PM   #3
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
No offense but you sound a little paranoid that established dealerships such as BMW or MB would cheap out on an oil change. If you're going down that train of thought, then tape can be easily ripped without the oil having been replaced given they open the hood, so that wouldn't be quite the solution to settle your nerves. If you're such a skeptic why don't you change it yourself our take it to a shop where you can watch it getting changed firsthand?

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #4
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

you could always loosen the drain plug a bit till it starts dripping and see if the oil is clear or not or suck oil with a pump from the top of the filling hole
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #5
kz1000
Mensch
Rep
Drives: 2021 230i 6mt

I trust my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
MrBucket
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 6MT Exec Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by kz1000 View Post
I trust my dealer.
Yeah I don't get this, he trusts them enough to spend $50k on a car from them but not for them to do the most simple maintenance out there? These aren't those shady quick lube places that advertise $20 oil changes and then hit you up for tons of other stuff you don't need.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #7
Merc for hire
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

The OP is got a good point here. We need a good and fast way to check if the oil is changed.
Sure we can trust the dealer, but what about after the warranty. These street corner oil change places are often the dirtiest of the dirty businesses.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #8
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

I would never use ANY shop that I might even remotely suspect to be unethical. One gets blindsided enough to without taking additional risks.

As for the quickie oil change outfits, if you're driving a car such as a BMW and you use these folks, then have subsequent problems, you get what you deserve.

Reminds me of when I was in college years ago and bought a few bottles of rotgut wine for $1 a bottle. I was deathly sick for the next week. Went back to the liquor store and told the fellow what had happened to me and that I suspected he may have had a bad batch of wine, and he replied "Well, what the hell did you expect from $1 bottles of wine?"

I've never forgotten that lesson...
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:49 PM   #9
TBro2002
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i M-Sport

You could ask them to return the old oil filter they remove. ��
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
CalRick
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235 & '95 M3 tracktoy ;

Garage List
2016 X3 Xdrive28d  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
It is a valid concern - my sister took her 328d in for a break-in oil change at around 2500 miles (on her ticket); they called the next day that it was ready for pick up and it hadn't even been washed (got on it right away), but checked the dipstick when she got home (yes, the diesels still have them!) and it hadn't been changed. SA said he found the oil and filter still kitted out on the mechanic's bench, etc.

A tell-tale on the oil filter housing is probably the most practical thing, as if the car gets as far as the service bay, there's little reason not to do the change (unless the dealership is pending chapter 7/11).
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #11
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
You could change the oil yourself right after they do it each time just to be sure!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 08:34 PM   #12
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiksilver1029 View Post
No then tape can be easily ripped without the oil having been replaced given they open the hood,
Tiny bit of tape on the back of the filter housing. Wouldn't even be noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:18 PM   #13
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
No offense but you sound a little paranoid that established dealerships such as BMW or MB would cheap out on an oil change. If you're going down that train of thought, then tape can be easily ripped without the oil having been replaced given they open the hood, so that wouldn't be quite the solution to settle your nerves. If you're such a skeptic why don't you change it yourself our take it to a shop where you can watch it getting changed firsthand?
Are you 100% sure your dealer really changed the oil and filter in your car? 100%?

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 09:20 PM   #14
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
You could change the oil yourself right after they do it each time just to be sure!
And so could you.

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:24 AM   #15
quiksilver1029
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i Mineral White M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
Are you 100% sure your dealer really changed the oil and filter in your car? 100%?
No and I don't need to be since I'm not paying for the oil change and if the engine blows up because they never changed it, then the jokes on them because they'll have pay to fix it since I have the paperwork saying I brought it in for all its scheduled oil changes.

Quote:
And so could you.
But it seems you already answered your own question, so why don't you close out this chapter of your existential crisis and follow your own advice. If you don't believe in the underlying principles of competitive advantage and think that you can do everything better yourself or don't even trust that others are doing what they say they are going to do then fine, live your life with a philosophy of undying skepticism. I know bmw can perform an oil change more efficiently than me and I'm ok taking the probable 1% chance that they're hoarding their oil. Why don't you ask your service advisor if you can watch or record the whole process because you think you're getting ripped off. Maybe they will even let you open a new, sealed oil bottle to make sure no one has tampered with it. Sorry for the harshness but I think there are better things to do with your time than start conspiracy theories about oil changes on web forums.

2015 F22 Mineral White Metallic M-Sport 228i
2007 E92 Sparkling Graphite Metallic 328i

Last edited by quiksilver1029; 06-08-2015 at 02:18 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #16
Killramos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '19 M2 '21 X5

Garage List
I think its pretty ridiculous to think that a dealer would open itself up to loss of dealer license, severe liability, fraud charges, media implications over 60 dollars of oil.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 09:28 AM   #17
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Am I 100% sure my dentist used fluoride on my teeth and not just some toothpaste? Nope, but thats why I use someone who I trust.

BMW dealers would not be in their best interest to scam you over for a small amount of oil.

If it's a small fly by night repair shop in Jamacia Queens where every mechanic is stoned out of their mind so that they may legitimately forget to change your oil, then yeah - I would be worried.

If you are that concerned, buy an oil pump kit that lets you pump the oil out the top to view and look at it before and after.

At that point, just change the oil yourself. If you plan on owning the car for the long haul and are concerned about the long term engine life and shadiness of dealers then buy a box of oil and some ramps and do it yourself.
      06-08-2015, 11:50 AM   #18
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killramos View Post
I think its pretty ridiculous to think that a dealer would open itself up to loss of dealer license, severe liability, fraud charges, media implications over 60 dollars of oil.
I think you overstate the implications of forgetting to perform work on a car and being charged for it.
The first problem is between, Service Advisor, Technician and Cashier things can get lost. And techs aren't perfect and they can be under pressure to get work done quickly. A tech once told me, worse then getting the oil change NOT done, is, tech drains oil, leaves as oil draines and comes back, lowers car and starts engine, hears a noise and quickly shuts down engine. When you do the same job hour after hour, day after day - you can lose track. Some dealers use novice tech for oil changes and one of the few jobs that particular individual may do. Some shops purposely give tech varieties of different repairs to keep from just going through the same motions where complacency causes errors.

Last edited by overcoil; 06-08-2015 at 12:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:07 PM   #19
MG 228i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 m40i, 340i 6MT, i3S

I can tell mine was changed because of the hand prints on the cap and engine cover (it was lightly dusty).

I opted for no wash also and saw the hand prints on the hood / fender lol.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:56 PM   #20
EEBreh
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No and I don't need to be since I'm not paying for the oil change and if the engine blows up because they never changed it, then the jokes on them because they'll have pay to fix it since I have the paperwork saying I brought it in for all its scheduled oil changes.

But it seems you already answered your own question, so why don't you close out this chapter of your existential crisis and follow your own advice. If you don't believe in the underlying principles of competitive advantage and think that you can do everything better yourself or don't even trust that others are doing what they say they are going to do then fine, live your life with a philosophy of undying skepticism. I know bmw can perform an oil change more efficiently than me and I'm ok taking the probable 1% chance that they're hoarding their oil. Why don't you ask your service advisor if you can watch or record the whole process because you think you're getting ripped off. Maybe they will even let you open a new, sealed oil bottle to make sure no one has tampered with it. Sorry for the harshness but I think there are better things to do with your time than start conspiracy theories about oil changes on web forums.
My father brought his car in for an oil change and they never changed the filter. Want to know how he knew? He stamped the filter.

My uncle also purchased a certified BMW M3 that had a clean title. Within the second day he noticed it rode funny and stopped by at the previous owners office (he was a dentist). The dentist told him it was in a front end collision and the dealer completely lied to him. Luckily my uncle got his money back.

Not every dealer is perfect, no need to be an asshole to someone who asks a legitimate question. Also some people keep their cars a long time and do not want to cause damage to an engine. Look up the e46 that didnt have its oil changed after 30 or 40k miles. It was a mess!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 06:20 PM   #21
3.0L
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEBreh View Post
My father brought his car in for an oil change and they never changed the filter. Want to know how he knew? He stamped the filter.

My uncle also purchased a certified BMW M3 that had a clean title. Within the second day he noticed it rode funny and stopped by at the previous owners office (he was a dentist). The dentist told him it was in a front end collision and the dealer completely lied to him. Luckily my uncle got his money back.

Not every dealer is perfect, no need to be an asshole to someone who asks a legitimate question. Also some people keep their cars a long time and do not want to cause damage to an engine. Look up the e46 that didnt have its oil changed after 30 or 40k miles. It was a mess!
Thank you!

Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 07:39 PM   #22
Pyewacket69
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

No shop is 100% perfect... Mistakes do happen, but rarely in a professionally run shop.

I've taken the time to know my service advisor, and I also speak with the tech that works on my car when I pick it up, except on the rare occasion he's not there. I don't take long, but I do make a point of thanking him for working on my vehicle. It does make a difference.

Personally, I've found over my 60+ years that demonstrating respect and showing thanks usually gets you that little "added" attention everyone wants.

A little paranoia probably is a healthy thing, but I've seen far too many instances where it simply got out of hand, and the client ended up receiving the lousy service he so diligently wished to avoid.
Appreciate 1