THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Thinking of going stage 2

07-12-2022, 10:29 PM   #1
wantam235i
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Thinking of going stage 2

Hey guys, currently I have bootmod3 stage 1 93 octane with a high flow cat. I love the way the car feels, got used to the power pretty quick. Thinking of going stage 2 now. Was wondering if it was worth it with the following caveats:
  • I have 245 rear tyres, so have spin in 1st and 2nd gears
  • I live in Toronto, so have 225 winters on half the year, will be on stock tune for this time
  • Not really interested in roll racing or any pulls above highway speeds

I've read that stage 1 to stage 2 is ~20WHP more, is it worth to do this since I already have a high flow cat? The total cost would be about 1000 CAD (750 USD)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 08:16 AM   #2
BillG2A
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240 6spd.

Hi. 240M BM3 stage 2. The upgrade stage 1-2 cost is $50 only. OTS download and flash since you already have stage 1 license. You can do it yourself with a phone, tablet or laptop. If you don't have cable they are inexpensive.

Otherwise personal choice on upgrade. Lookup Kies motor sports YouTube dyno test of B58 in 340 with catted downpipe BM3 stage 1 v stage 2 vs MPPK tunes

Stage 2 made more HP not much more torque and you mostly feel torque. So 20 hp and 10 ft lbs for $750 if that is cost is a judgement call. - for 5% more.

Enjoy your car
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2022, 02:07 PM   #3
AmuroRay
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M235i

Just get a 5" intercooler and run the Stage 0 M2 tune. no need to go extra just for power you wont use.
      07-13-2022, 03:24 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by wantam235i View Post
Hey guys, currently I have bootmod3 stage 1 93 octane with a high flow cat. I love the way the car feels, got used to the power pretty quick. Thinking of going stage 2 now. Was wondering if it was worth it with the following caveats:
  • I live in Toronto, so have 225 winters on half the year, will be on stock tune for this time

I've read that stage 1 to stage 2 is ~20WHP more, is it worth to do this since I already have a high flow cat? The total cost would be about 1000 CAD (750 USD)
The reason you spin so much is the lack of an LSD. With Stage 2, the power hits a little harder and there's more torque so the traction problem only gets worse.

My M235 6MT had bad traction problems in 1st and 2nd, even when stock. With just a downpipe, it got real bad. I then added the LSD and those problems pretty much went away.

I'm Stage 2 now and running 245 tires. The only time I have traction problems is in 1st if I go full throttle from a slow roll in 1st. I can still spin them from a roll in 2nd from 40mph to ~60mph, but the continual spin is extremely marginal and nearly all the power is put to the ground and the car tracks straight. Without the LSD, the tires would spin badly and the rear end step from side to side and acceleration significantly impacted.

If it were me, I'd forego Stage 2 and spend my money on:

1) A good intercooler
2) Then an LSD

I can't stress how much better the car drives with the LSD even in 4/10 driving. Better or wider tires won't fix the issue you're having. You need an LSD.

Last edited by XutvJet; 07-13-2022 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
      07-13-2022, 04:38 PM   #5
714BMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M235 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Quote:

The reason you spin so much is the lack of an LSD. With Stage 2, the power hits a little harder and there's more torque so the traction problem only gets worse.

My M235 6MT had bad traction problems in 1st and 2nd, even when stock. With just a downpipe, it got real bad. I then added the LSD and those problems pretty much went away.

I'm Stage 2 now and running 245 tires. The only time I have traction problems is in 1st if I go full throttle from a slow roll in 1st. I can still spin them from a roll in 2nd from 40mph to ~60mph, but the continual spin is extremely marginal and nearly all the power is put to the ground and the car tracks straight. Without the LSD, the tires would spin badly and the rear end step from side to side and acceleration significantly impacted.

If it were me, I'd forego Stage 2 and spend my money on:

1) A good intercooler
2) Then an LSD

I can't stress how much better the car drives with the LSD even in 4/10 driving. Better or wider tires won't fix the issue you're having. You need an LSD.
I don't really get any traction loss unless I'm throttle in 1st gear which is expected. I don't spin in 2nd or anything higher with 500wtq and 20psi on stock eLSD. Rear end never steps out unless I really want it to.

That's on 255/35r19 Advan Apex V601's in rear.

OP - if you really want more power I'd just spend the $50 if you haven't already for the OTS map pack and flash the stage 2. But I would do an Intercooler/Charge Pipe/Drop-in filter before that. Keep in mind if you're already spinning in 1st/2nd you'll only spin more.

What tires you got?
      07-14-2022, 12:38 PM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714BMW View Post
I don't really get any traction loss unless I'm throttle in 1st gear which is expected. I don't spin in 2nd or anything higher with 500wtq and 20psi on stock eLSD. Rear end never steps out unless I really want it to.

That's on 255/35r19 Advan Apex V601's in rear.
You're in a very rare club if you really don't have any sort of spin punching it in 2nd at 40mph (~4,000rpms). I'm not saying my car spins every time in a situation like that, but it does so more often than not. It's not terrible spin at all, but I can tell the tires are slipping a bit. If I launch from a stop, the only spin I get is on the initial launch and maybe a bark into 2nd. There's no other spin. With the LSD, I can launch way harder, at more rpm (~3,500rpms), and with way less spin. Sometimes it bogs because it hooks so hard. With the open diff, it was so damn hard to control spin.

The eLSD function only works in DSC Off and no other modes. What I love about having a true LSD out back is that nanny intervention in Comfort, Sport, Sport+, and Traction is way less intrusive. More importantly, I use a ton more throttle coming out of a turn and even if the rears are spinning, there's lots of forward traction and you can easily steer the rear with the throttle. With the open diff or with the eLSD active, it will power slide, but you lose a ton forward momentum and it's way more difficult to control. It sucks.
      07-14-2022, 11:50 PM   #7
wantam235i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 714BMW View Post
What tires you got?
I have new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S
When I say spin in 2nd, I don't mean wild sliding, but the traction light does come on for a bit.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 07:23 AM   #8
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

wantam235i I'm also from Toronto but I'm having trouble running even the Stage 1 91 ACN tune.

The guys in the F30 N55 forum say that Ontario has horrible gas. What gas are you running? Have you looked at your logs? Are you knocking or pulling timing?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 11:09 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmuroRay View Post
Just get a 5" intercooler and run the Stage 0 M2 tune. no need to go extra just for power you wont use.
Nonsense, you should always go for more power, always

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      07-15-2022, 05:23 PM   #10
wantam235i
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1more1 View Post
wantam235i I'm also from Toronto but I'm having trouble running even the Stage 1 91 ACN tune.

The guys in the F30 N55 forum say that Ontario has horrible gas. What gas are you running? Have you looked at your logs? Are you knocking or pulling timing?
So I'm not from Toronto proper, rather greater Toronto area. I run 93 from Esso. I haven't looked at my logs recently, but in the first day of the tune I looked at live logs and did a few pulls with the Knock Detected parameter and saw 0/1. A week after running the tune I checked the DTC/ messages under BM3 and saw no issues. You reckon its worth doing some datalogging even though I don't see any codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2022, 06:16 PM   #11
1more1
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT EB

Quote:
So I'm not from Toronto proper, rather greater Toronto area. I run 93 from Esso. I haven't looked at my logs recently, but in the first day of the tune I looked at live logs and did a few pulls with the Knock Detected parameter and saw 0/1. A week after running the tune I checked the DTC/ messages under BM3 and saw no issues. You reckon its worth doing some datalogging even though I don't see any codes?
Yes I would. You mainly want to look at the timing corrections. I ran the Stage 1 91 tune for a year with no real issues or codes but when I logged I found a lot of corrections.

I'm mostly just curious to see if you have the same issues as I do, trying to blame our gas and not something wrong with my car in particular lol.

Full guide here on how to do a proper log:

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26340913
Appreciate 1
      07-18-2022, 03:59 PM   #12
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Going Stage 2 - Already HF CAT

If you already have Stage 1 & a High Flow CAT -- I was thinking that most of the Stage 2 gains come from the addition of a High Flow Cat.

Being that you are already there -- I would add an I/C to achieve consistency

Last edited by 123Britt; 04-03-2023 at 11:34 AM..
Appreciate 1