THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics How accurate are the sport gauges?

12-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #1
haulme
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport

How accurate are the sport gauges?

QQ -

I have a 2015 228i. I've got a Mishimoto Intake and I piggyback ECU(for warranty purposes) by TDI Tuning.

https://tdi-tuning.com/en-gb/car/bmw...uning-box-chip

I was interested in seeing if the sport gauges reported any gains in performance after installing the box.

The car definitely feels faster vs running with just the Intake which I know wont do anything but on the sport gauges the maximum performance I'm getting is approx 180KW and 360NM (which is pretty much stock figures)

I'm dubious about getting what TDI tuning are stating as gains but I'm expecting at least expecting some increase.

Are the sport gauges calibrated for the car at stock not taking to effect the piggyback ECU and the only way to accurately measure is via a rolling road?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:05 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

It is unlikely it is accurate with a piggyback, as it is a calculated value based on primarily the fuel flow, throttle position, boost and engine revs, probably from a map specific to the OEM engine tuning. As the piggyback is fooling some of those values, the calculated power and torque will be incorrect.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #3
haulme
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i M Sport

As I thought, thank you for confirming!
Appreciate 0