THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bimmertech MMI/NBT Evo

01-19-2021, 08:16 AM   #1
TacticalDan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Bimmertech MMI/NBT Evo

I have a "new to me" 2017 m240i convertible. My first BMW.

So far, I have been very pleased with the car. Coming from a MT Wrangler, the differences couldn't be more stark.

My issue is that I have an Android (Galaxy) phone and as many have already observed, the integration with the NBTEvo system is less than satisfactory.

Those of you that have purchased/installed the Bimmertech MMI box, I would like to know your thoughts and observations? Were you happy with it? I haven't been able to locate a version for the NBTEvo system that was cheaper (not Bimmertech), but if someone knows of one, I'd be interested to know your experience.

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
TonM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 M3 / 2017 M240

I would look through the F30 section on this, as it is the same hardware and there is a lot more feedback in that section oh the bimmertech and equivalent systems.

Also, congratulation on the car.
      01-23-2021, 04:44 PM   #3
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 320I

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDan View Post
I have a "new to me" 2017 m240i convertible. My first BMW.

So far, I have been very pleased with the car. Coming from a MT Wrangler, the differences couldn't be more stark.

My issue is that I have an Android (Galaxy) phone and as many have already observed, the integration with the NBTEvo system is less than satisfactory.

Those of you that have purchased/installed the Bimmertech MMI box, I would like to know your thoughts and observations? Were you happy with it? I haven't been able to locate a version for the NBTEvo system that was cheaper (not Bimmertech), but if someone knows of one, I'd be interested to know your experience.

TIA.
Here's a thread about the EVO mmi's:

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1758751

The Bimmertech units are the most expensive but they also have the best software (especially for AA), regular updates, and good support. The software and support from the other sellers is hit or miss.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
TacticalDan
United_States
Rep

I went ahead and ordered. It arrives tomorrow. Hope to find some time this week to get it installed.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:13 PM   #5
1slow2_
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I have an F22 and installed an amazon MMI box last week. Android Auto and Apple Carplay work flawlessly. I personally have a Galaxy S9+ and I have been using the box ever since I installed it. It was a bit finicky since it was my first time using android auto but that was probably due to user error. I would definitely recommend it. If you have the Harmon Kardon speaker system it will be a pain to install though as I had to remove the glove box

link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 04:23 PM   #6
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slow2_ View Post
I have an F22 and installed an amazon MMI box last week. Android Auto and Apple Carplay work flawlessly. I personally have a Galaxy S9+ and I have been using the box ever since I installed it. It was a bit finicky since it was my first time using android auto but that was probably due to user error. I would definitely recommend it. If you have the Harmon Kardon speaker system it will be a pain to install though as I had to remove the glove box

link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...UTF8&psc=1
I have a Carlinkit unit for NBT and love it. They are a great upgrade.

Which sw version came with your unit?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 09:13 PM   #7
1slow2_
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by muniz_ri View Post
I have a Carlinkit unit for NBT and love it. They are a great upgrade.

Which sw version came with your unit?
I agree. It really updated the interior/idrive system to be more modern in my opinion. Not really sure what you mean by sw version though?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2021, 10:01 PM   #8
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I agree. It really updated the interior/idrive system to be more modern in my opinion. Not really sure what you mean by sw version though?
In the mmi settings there is a menu named "system" then a sub menu named "system version" or "software version." Just curious to know if they are shipping units with anything newer than v9.2.10.

Also, does automatic night mode work in AA with your unit? That has been a problem on all units except the Bimmertech units.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2021, 09:26 PM   #9
1slow2_
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In the mmi settings there is a menu named "system" then a sub menu named "system version" or "software version." Just curious to know if they are shipping units with anything newer than v9.2.10.

Also, does automatic night mode work in AA with your unit? That has been a problem on all units except the Bimmertech units.
I haven't driven the car in a while so I will have to get back to you another time on the SW version. Automatic night mode does work for me I think I have it set through the app on my phone though
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2021, 06:11 PM   #10
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I haven't driven the car in a while so I will have to get back to you another time on the SW version. Automatic night mode does work for me I think I have it set through the app on my phone though
No worries, thank you. It's good to know that they have fixed the Android Auto automatic night mode. Hopefully they will roll out the fix to the NBT units soon.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 09:24 PM   #11
1slow2_
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No worries, thank you. It's good to know that they have fixed the Android Auto automatic night mode. Hopefully they will roll out the fix to the NBT units soon.
Yes, I am glad they did as well. I was kind of surprised it worked honestly after hearing that it didn't work on some people's MMI. I got around to driving my car today and mine is version 9.2.10
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 12:49 PM   #12
TacticalDan
United_States
Rep

Can anyone tell me what the latest version of software for the Bimmertech MMI device is? I have mine installed and it appears to be working correctly. I just like keeping things updated. It's the InfoSec professional in me.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2021, 06:06 PM   #13
muniz_ri
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalDan View Post
Can anyone tell me what the latest version of software for the Bimmertech MMI device is? I have mine installed and it appears to be working correctly. I just like keeping things updated. It's the InfoSec professional in me.
For the EVO unit the latest is v3.1.0.1.mmi.e.
Appreciate 1
      02-19-2022, 08:20 PM   #14
R_don_abon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Does anyone have any pictures of how they mounted the MMI? I have it tucked in the back right so most of it except for a half inch is towards the glove box.

I think the last half inch is enough that it's blocking the radio from seating all the way back... Either that, or the harness is getting caught but I'm pretty sure I have everything tucked away well.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #15
R_don_abon
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240i

Update: For the m240i/m235i, you need to remove the glove box to install an mmi. There's no way to easily stick it under the main AV unit like other BMW models. It's not that bad. Four torx bits at the top of the glovebox when you open it and two more underneath (you really have to get your head down there to see these two). With the bottom two loose, a lower trim drops out which gives you access to two or 3 more torx bits holding the glovebox in. Then it just comes out and you'll see a nook along the side of the radio you can stuff it in.

Wish I knew this from the beginning.
Appreciate 0