THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics M2 Audio Upgrade

05-04-2019, 08:03 PM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

M2 Audio Upgrade

I thought I'd share my M2 audio upgrade; I posted in the M2 forums as well. The BMW M2 does not disappoint. I was expecting an all-around performance sports coupe with pretty awful audio. It delivered on all those points. I found the stock audio system to be a bit harsh, with no soundstage, limited and distorted bass and midbass, limited dynamic range. I've always done some kind of audio upgrade in my cars, and the M2 was no exception. I like working on BMW's because the battery is in the trunk, making wire management easier and cleaner. So, let's get to it.

The victim:

The gear:
-Helix P-SIX DSP Mk2
-PHD Audiophile Studio 4.1C Kit: AF1.c Tweeter, 4.1 Studio Midrange & Studio Crossover
-Jehnert XE200 Midbass
-Dynaudio Esotec MW182 Woofer, used as Subwoofers
-SoundSkins Pro sound deadening
-Technic HK Harness and ASD Bypass Harness

Front stage consists of the PHD components in stock locations. The tweeter requires some slight modifications to the sail panel to fit, but nothing drastic. They fit quite nicely.

The midrange drops right in with the supplied adapter, no modifications required. No depth or clearance issues. This time around, I decided to replace the OEM vapor shield with SoundSkins. If you're not familiar with this product, it's very similar to Focal BAM, except it's waterproof. It's a Foil, Rubber Butyl, and Foam all in one. It saves quite a bit of time on installation.

In the past, I've run this type of combo active, but this time, I decided to use the dedicated passive crossover. I don't have pics, but I put it in the far front lower corner of the door card. The shape of the cupholders made a nice little cavity that accommodated the X-Over (which are on the larger side).

Midbass duties were handled by the venerable Jehnert XE200. I don't think there's been a better overall SQ solution for this location since the E9X series began having an underseat driver. They drop right in with the supplied adapter. It does require a slightly thicker adapter than in the past.

I cut a piece of the carpet that was hanging over the woofer. It probably did nothing, but made me feel better

Subwoofer duties were handled by the Dyn MW182's in an IB configuration, mounted to the rear deck. I've found BMW trunks to be pretty well sealed, and wanted to work WITH the system instead of against it. This wasn't easy, and required some minor modifications, but it's well worth the time and effort. I'm not willing to sacrifice any trunk space, and the Dyns are so light and hit pretty hard, that I never really considered a fiberglass box. Plus I need light weight, because racecar

All processing and amplifying was done by the Helix P-SIX. The OEM amp and ASD module:

There was just enough room to fit the P-SIX in the OEM amp location. I made a custom amp rack, and affixed it to the OEM amp rack via industrial strength velcro. With gravity on my side, I don't think this thing will be moving around much.

The ASD module remained bolted in the factory location. I ended up using industrial strength velcro to attach part of the ASD bypass harness to the module itself. While the P-SIX is absolutely tiny for what it does, it's a lot larger than the OEM amp. I was happy it fit.

The center channel and rear speakers were disconnected, of course.

As far as the components go, I'd say they have a great synergy. They play nicely with the P-SIX. Audiotec-Fischer make some awesome products (PP82, 7-UP, V-Eight, etc), and the P-SIX is difficult to top IMO in terms of clean, quality power, processing power, size, and OEM integration. I love that this one amp/DSP can handle my whole system. In the past, I've had 2-3 Class A/B amps that are twice the size of the P-SIX and a separate DSP to run my whole system. I love the simplicity and size of the P-SIX.

Also, I didn't measure, but as far as I can tell, the Soundskins reduce a good bit of road noise over OEM. A lower noise floor is always a good thing

One other thing I'd like to add is how much quality and attention to detail BMW incorporates in their cars. Everything is secured down, routed, padded, etc. To the point of being a PITA to make the aftermarket stuff run like OEM. I really don't understand why they didn't take one extra step at times to eliminate rattles. However, I took the opportunity to address future rattles sources while I had the car apart. Mainly, putting Tessa tape in a lot of places where hard plastic touched metal or other hard plastic.

So how does it sound?? Talk radio sounds so good, and those 128 kbit MP3's sound amazing Seriously though, it's a night/day difference to the stock system. A whole other level. The tonality is very accurate. The soundstage is as high as the rearview mirror, fully fleshed out from pillar to pillar, and extends out to about 1/3 of the hood. There is a certain level of realism that approaches very good home audio systems. Tons of detail, and transparent without any harshness. In this system, the Dynaudio's hit plenty hard and deep enough for my liking. They can shake the rear view mirror. I already had an idea of the tune needed, and have one area of a slight midbass hump I need to EQ if I can. I've just been enjoying the music too much to dust off the mic and RTA.

And last but not least, a HUGE shout out to Don Amann of Unexpected Creations 6spdcoupe for putting up with me, giving such wise advice, and supplying me with awesome gear to fit my needs. A true gem in the audio industry. If you ever have any audio cravings, contact him.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 05-04-2019 at 08:15 PM..
Appreciate 5
      05-06-2019, 08:27 PM   #2
Aspen235
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X3 35i, 2018 M240i 6mt

I like how you made the whole trunk a sub box. Would be cool to hear.
Appreciate 1
      05-08-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspen235 View Post
I like how you made the whole trunk a sub box. Would be cool to hear.
Yup, that was the intent

If you're ever in the Bay Area, come have a listen!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #4
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: LCI M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Hi OP. Looking at the second to the last picture you posted where i can see the OEM Amp, i noticed on the wheel well right above the amp there's a metal sticking out that looks to be like the factory ground point. Could this be one you were talking about on our private message?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 03:56 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Keep your original amp for dealer visits
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #6
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
oh yes for sure! planning on cutting a hole to slide up and down when i need to remove the aftermarket amp and reinstall the oem amp for dealer visits.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 05:10 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jello View Post
Quote:
oh yes for sure! planning on cutting a hole to slide up and down when i need to remove the aftermarket amp and reinstall the oem amp for dealer visits.
I have both installed with a custom harness. Don't think the vendor is still offering them but maybe your audio shop can do it for you. Just a BMW connector with some wires pinned into it. I have the diagram somewhere. I literally ha e the stock one attached with spacers and Velcro on top of the Match, then it's all wired together so both amps are installed and get power all the time.

Stock is only used for CAN-BUS nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #8
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have both installed with a custom harness. Don't think the vendor is still offering them but maybe your audio shop can do it for you. Just a BMW connector with some wires pinned into it. I have the diagram somewhere. I literally ha e the stock one attached with spacers and Velcro on top of the Match, then it's all wired together so both amps are installed and get power all the time.

Yes, i actually saw an "and an amp harness" from tecnic pnp used on another thread but i don't think it's compatible with the HK system or rather yet the bavasound revnant amp to which i'll be installing you think?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:17 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes, i actually saw an "and an amp harness" from tecnic pnp used on another thread but i don't think it's compatible with the HK system or rather yet the bavasound revnant amp to which i'll be installing you think?
No it's not that. What he made me connected to stock HK then had 5 loose wires coming out of it. 3 plug into unused slots on the Match connector (which hooks into car). The other two were for power and ground, those actually plug into power and ground on match amp to share the power feed coming from car. I'll see if I can find pics. It was a custom one off thing he made for me as a favor - not sure he's selling them.

It's not complicated though if you can get the connector terminal block or whatever it's called any audio shop could pin some wires into it for you in 5 mins. I def have the wiring diagram someplace.

The Match amp harness has empty slots in its connector block because it doesn't use can bus so the signal comes from car but then doesn't go anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 06:58 PM   #10
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No it's not that. What he made me connected to stock HK then had 5 loose wires coming out of it. 3 plug into unused slots on the Match connector (which hooks into car). The other two were for power and ground, those actually plug into power and ground on match amp to share the power feed coming from car. I'll see if I can find pics. It was a custom one off thing he made for me as a favor - not sure he's selling them.

It's not complicated though if you can get the connector terminal block or whatever it's called any audio shop could pin some wires into it for you in 5 mins. I def have the wiring diagram someplace.

The Match amp harness has empty slots in its connector block because it doesn't use can bus so the signal comes from car but then doesn't go anywhere.
pm'd!
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:13 PM   #11
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hi OP. Looking at the second to the last picture you posted where i can see the OEM Amp, i noticed on the wheel well right above the amp there's a metal sticking out that looks to be like the factory ground point. Could this be one you were talking about on our private message?
NO, that's NOT the factory ground. But if you follow that wire bundle up, it's up maybe 6-12 inches. I don't have a specific picture, but I attached a picture of the factory ground, circled in red, on my previous M4. It's essentially the same thing on the 2-series. 10mm bolt. You'll probably want to use a ring termination on your ground wire. This lets you have a nice and short ground wire
Hope that helps.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 07:37 PM   #12
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Quote:
NO, that's NOT the factory ground. But if you follow that wire bundle up, it's up maybe 6-12 inches. I don't have a specific picture, but I attached a picture of the factory ground, circled in red, on my previous M4. It's essentially the same thing on the 2-series. 10mm bolt. You'll probably want to use a ring termination on your ground wire. This lets you have a nice and short ground wire
Hope that helps.
Okay thank you so much for confirming! I was almost sure it was the first location i asked.

Was there anything else connected to it from factory before you used this as your ground for the amp? I ask because it's advised not to share the amp's ground wire to make sure it's clean of any interference. Let me know your thoughts on this...
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:15 PM   #13
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

It's the factory ground, so there are other wires from the car grounded to that point. I"ve never had a problem with it. You can create any ground point, as long as it's on the chassis and bare metal. You'll probably want to paint over it if you drill a hole or scuff off the paint. I just found it clean and convenient to use the factory one.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2021, 09:26 PM   #14
jello
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [8.33]
Quote:
It's the factory ground, so there are other wires from the car grounded to that point. I"ve never had a problem with it. You can create any ground point, as long as it's on the chassis and bare metal. You'll probably want to paint over it if you drill a hole or scuff off the paint. I just found it clean and convenient to use the factory one.
Thank you so much i appreciate it!
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2021, 09:41 AM   #15
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much i appreciate it!
I'll send you pictures later. If you remove the factory fix a flat kit you can mount your subwoofer amp there. Connect directly to battery for power and the factory ground point, for the battery, is right there. The ground cable from your new amp to factory bolt isn't even a foot. You will not have any problem with interference whatsoever... I feed lossless content into my system and I've never noticed anything.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2022, 05:22 PM   #16
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Yup, that was the intent

If you're ever in the Bay Area, come have a listen!
Do you have any pics of the pseudo-IB rear deck or any thoughts on if this is a good path? Did it interfere with or replace the existing rear speakers? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #17
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Do you have any pics of the pseudo-IB rear deck or any thoughts on if this is a good path? Did it interfere with or replace the existing rear speakers? Thanks!
Sorry, I don't have any other pics; it's been a while.

Personally, I think this is a great way to go, and don't understand why BMW went away from this configuration over a decade ago. The baffle was custom made of 2 inches of birch plywood and MDF. The way it was cut, it didn't interfere at all with anything. The OEM rear speakers are housed in the rear parcel shelf cover, which is the plastic/cloth cover sitting over the sheet metal. My Dyn's sit underneath the parcel shelf cover, so it's no problem.

Last edited by RocketBoots; 10-01-2022 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 01:21 PM   #18
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Sorry, I don't have any other pics; it's been a while.

Personally, I think this is a great way to go, and don't understand why BMW went away from this configuration over a decade ago. The baffle was custom made of 2 inches of birch plywood and MDF. The way it was cut, it interfere at all with anything. The OEM rear speakers are housed in the rear parcel shelf cover, which is the plastic/cloth cover sitting over the sheet metal. My Dyn's sit underneath the parcel shelf cover, so it's no problem.
Thanks for the info, I may explore going this route.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2022, 09:55 PM   #19
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Thanks for the info, I may explore going this route.
Meant to say it didn't interfere. Corrected in my original post.
Appreciate 0