THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum AC stopped blowing cold

07-03-2020, 09:36 AM   #1
Skatergv
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M 235i

AC stopped blowing cold

hello all,

I have just returned from a deployment to find that my air conditioning in my 2015 M235I is no longer blowing cold. When I attached a bottle of Freon to add more I discovered it was still full. I started looking at the AC Compressor and I don't think its engaging. Is there any way to test it and determine if that's my problem? Also are there any other known problems that could be causing my air conditioning to blow warm air?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Derek
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 10:07 AM   #2
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Check to see if the compressor’s magnetic clutch is engaging. There are a number of reasons why the clutch isn’t engaging.

1. Fuses
2. Compressor relay
3. Malfunction in the climate control module (IHKA)
4. Engine computer isn’t sending an “ok to activate compressor clutch” signal
5. Bad low pressure valve.

How long was the car sitting? What’s the condition of the battery? Are you having any other electrical or electronic issues?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 03:21 PM   #3
Skatergv
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M 235i

I checked all the fuses and nothing was burned out. I'm not sure what I can do other than just replace the AC Compressor then move to the next idem on the list.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2020, 06:56 PM   #4
raddoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5,Model3,M240i

Pressure test

A/C systems depend on pressure in the lines, which can be measured easily with a set of gauges. If the coolant is being adequately compressed then it will expand as it picks up heat - both in/out lines can be checked. Sometimes it is the evaporator which may have a separate valve that can get stuck. Any decent repair shop can check it out. Blindly replacing the compressor may not be the solution. Is there a separate clutch on the compressor?
Appreciate 1
BimBimM21483.00
      07-03-2020, 07:51 PM   #5
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by raddoc View Post
A/C systems depend on pressure in the lines, which can be measured easily with a set of gauges. If the coolant is being adequately compressed then it will expand as it picks up heat - both in/out lines can be checked. Sometimes it is the evaporator which may have a separate valve that can get stuck. Any decent repair shop can check it out. Blindly replacing the compressor may not be the solution. Is there a separate clutch on the compressor?
This is what I would do.

Derek, definitely take it to a reputable shop to diagnose the issue. I am having trouble digesting the idea that changing the compressor is a solution when the problem is unknown
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 07:29 AM   #6
morphomeman
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235ix

Garage List
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M235ix  [0.00]
Yes, changing the compressor strikes me as a radical move. Find a reputable shop. A/C systems fail for many reasons, though they do so a lot less often than they used to.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2020, 09:48 AM   #7
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Likely it's low on R134a refrigerant. Make sure the shop adds UV dye to the refrigerant. That way it an find the leak if there is one.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #8
Kendapau
Rep
Drives: 228i XDrive Converible

TSB for Freezing Evaporator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Likely it's low on R134a refrigerant. Make sure the shop adds UV dye to the refrigerant. That way it an find the leak if there is one.
Guys, new member of the forum here, long time car guy.

This issue may be due to the placement of the evaporator temperature sensor, which controls the computer system tied to the HVAC. Apparently the sensor is too close to the evaporator, and does not register correctly, and the system continues to cool until the evaporator eventually freezes over, blocking the air flow, resulting in the symptoms we experience. While possible, the issue is not necessarily related to low R134a. For the OP's case, if the car has sat for a long time, it may be another issue. But this might be worth a look.

The fix is described in BMW TSB SI B64 06 13

I have had my 2016 F23 228i Xdrive Convertible for a year now. This issue occurred in my car on a trip a few weeks ago. I took the car to a dealer in Maryland, on my way home from Delaware, and unfortunately were not able to figure out the issue. They did a computer reflash but used the wrong TSB.

Monday I had the car at a larger dealer in MD. I had them check the R-134a level - it was fine. (Note that newer cars are switching to R-1234yf, a totally different topic). After getting the service manager involved, they updated the car with the correct TSB: BMW TSB SI B64 06 13

Link to TSB: https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B64-06-13

Cooling: Intermittent Reduction Of Air Flow This Service Information Bulletin (Revision 9) Supersedes Si B64 06 13 Dated June 2017. Customer May Complain Of Reduced Air Flow When The Air Conditioning System Is Operated For An Extended Time Usually Longer Than 30 Minutes. The Evaporator Starts To Freeze Up Due To The Position Of The Evaporator Temperature Sensor.

There are two "fixes" - for pre 9/30/2013, there is a spacer installation required using PN 64 11 9 950 495. For post 9/30/2013 cars the fix is to "perform a conversion in ISTA/P - Activate conversion to raise the minimum evaporator temperature".

I'm waiting for my next long trip to see if this update works. So far, so good.

Paul
Appreciate 1
dradernh4179.00