THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes swapping street and track pads

06-07-2020, 06:41 AM   #1
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

swapping street and track pads

I’m upgrading my 230i from stock calipers to the brembo sport brakes.

The question I have and Looking for your opinion is I’m thinking of getting a normal set of street pads and a set of track pads that are reasonable for the street. I’d put the track/street pads on at beginning of track season then keep them on until end of season. After the track season is over I’d switch back to normal street pads. The alternative is to swap pads before and after every track day.

Any thoughts or advice on these two options? I'm a novice tracker and do 2-4 track days per season.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 08:13 AM   #2
4Hockey4
Banned
Rep
Drives: Pinto

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
I’m upgrading my 230i from stock calipers to the brembo sport brakes.

The question I have and Looking for your opinion is I’m thinking of getting a normal set of street pads and a set of track pads that are reasonable for the street. I’d put the track/street pads on at beginning of track season then keep them on until end of season. After the track season is over I’d switch back to normal street pads. The alternative is to swap pads before and after every track day.

Any thoughts or advice on these two options? I'm a novice tracker and do 2-4 track days per season.

Thanks
I'd read the brake pad thread. esp last page or so where folks were helping me with same process.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 02:55 PM   #3
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

What you suggest is exactly what I've done the past 2 years: I swap in Ferodo 2500's and track fluid in spring, then back to factory pads/fluid for winter. You do need to use the ISTA process to really clear the ABS, if you are going to swap fluid types. Some additional noise, but not constant or bad enough to make me regret it. I'm not yet at a level where I feel I need a dedicated track pad, but swapping pads is fairly simple to do before a track day. Be sure to clear some fluid out of the reservoir or it will overflow as you push pistons back, especially if your pads are much different thickness (i.e. worn pads lead to more pushback on the pistons to fit new thicker pads, and if the reservoir was topped off it will surely overflow).

You will also likely notice the extra rotating mass (I did, going from stock 1-pistons to the MPerf BBK), so it is a good excuse for some light new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #4
smchuck
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
What you suggest is exactly what I've done the past 2 years: I swap in Ferodo 2500's and track fluid in spring, then back to factory pads/fluid for winter. You do need to use the ISTA process to really clear the ABS, if you are going to swap fluid types. Some additional noise, but not constant or bad enough to make me regret it. I'm not yet at a level where I feel I need a dedicated track pad, but swapping pads is fairly simple to do before a track day. Be sure to clear some fluid out of the reservoir or it will overflow as you push pistons back, especially if your pads are much different thickness (i.e. worn pads lead to more pushback on the pistons to fit new thicker pads, and if the reservoir was topped off it will surely overflow).

You will also likely notice the extra rotating mass (I did, going from stock 1-pistons to the MPerf BBK), so it is a good excuse for some light new wheels.

The EBC yellows look appealing. What about disks? Looks like EBC will eat up disk if don’t get proper disks.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by smchuck View Post
The EBC yellows look appealing.
I finally got around to posting the EBC compound chart in the brake pad thread: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show...&postcount=309.

The Hawk and Ferodo compound charts are in that thread somewhere, too, I think. (I'm pretty sure I posted the Hawk chart.)

Update: the post linked-to above now has a link to the post with both the Hawk and EBC compounds charts.

Last edited by dradernh; 06-07-2020 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 1
Maynard3833.00