THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Sold best car on earth

05-18-2020, 08:06 PM   #23
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 2018

Love the ideas

I thank everyone for their 2 cents worth of advice and thoughts.

I sold the m235 because it was a third car that isn’t getting driven. Since I only drive it may-oct not much driven going on here in lock down state.
I ever liked corvettes but the C8 is quiet the machine in my mind. I like the new body style and mid engine is very cool. It looks different and it has the power.
Someone mentioned get a m240.....I am not opposed that idea. I am also wondering if I would be just as happy with a 2 series 4 banger. I want a fun to drive car so that is what I am working on. As I look around I am finding little that I am very interested in.
I thought I was done with 2 series but there isn’t much that competes with it ?
Hap
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 08:29 PM   #24
Throttlesteer14
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M240 ix, 14 Cayman S

The m240i is a turbo 6, not a 4 banger
Appreciate 1
BrettKA7566.50
      05-18-2020, 08:32 PM   #25
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapbob View Post

I sold the m235 because it was a third car that isn’t getting driven. Since I only drive it may-oct not much driven going on here in lock down state.
I ever liked corvettes but the C8 is quiet the machine in my mind. I like the new body style and mid engine is very cool. It looks different and it has the power.
Someone mentioned get a m240.....I am not opposed that idea. I am also wondering if I would be just as happy with a 2 series 4 banger. I want a fun to drive car so that is what I am working on. As I look around I am finding little that I am very interested in.
Hap
I am serious; why not a Miata? Why a Bimmer 4 banger?
Appreciate 1
Jashue190.50
      05-18-2020, 09:57 PM   #26
seansurfn2
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i m-sport

Quote:

Hap
the b58 block was inspected well by papadakis racing. its solid.
my m235i has been the best bmw ive ever owned. extremely straight forward car
and its had 0 probs after 30k miles
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 05:39 AM   #27
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 240i

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
4 vs 6 engine option

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimBimM2 View Post
I owned a 2008 Miata and it was ok. Not that comfortable as a driver for me. I am also not sold on the 2 seater. That is another draw back to the C8 along with you cant find one used that isn't crazy priced due to scarcity at present time. I know the 240 is a 6 and it is a wonderful car I am sure. But fun to drive doesn't always mean massive power. I have read that owners say that the 4 banger BMW has enough power to be fun and it would handle great also.
So that is what I was thinking there. I need to drive one and I live 60-80 miles from any BMW dealer so that is also a consideration.
Hap
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:11 AM   #28
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
Quote:
I owned a 2008 Miata and it was ok. Not that comfortable as a driver for me. I am also not sold on the 2 seater. That is another draw back to the C8 along with you cant find one used that isn't crazy priced due to scarcity at present time. I know the 240 is a 6 and it is a wonderful car I am sure. But fun to drive doesn't always mean massive power. I have read that owners say that the 4 banger BMW has enough power to be fun and it would handle great also.
So that is what I was thinking there. I need to drive one and I live 60-80 miles from any BMW dealer so that is also a consideration.
Hap
Test drive the 228/230 as well as the M240i on the same day.

You must look into Boxsters/Caymans! Test drive them and soon you will be posting on the Porsche forums.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:21 PM   #29
harma24
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i Glacier Silver

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
One has 4 seats and a usable trunk, one does not.

Why do we insist on comparing the 2 series to 2 seaters (be it Porsche or Mazda)? They are completely different cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:25 PM   #30
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
You must look into Boxsters/Caymans! Test drive them and soon you will be posting on the Porsche forums.
We had a Cayman in the immediate family for about a year. None of us could bear climbing in and out each time. Replaced (with a car in-between) by an 2020 M2C. Won't be going back to Porsche nor the forums. Maybe young short people do better. The shortest female in our family is 5'8" and the guys are all taller.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 07:26 PM   #31
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Why do we insist on comparing the 2 series to 2 seaters (be it Porsche or Mazda)?
Irrational exuberance?
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 07:54 PM   #32
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by harma24 View Post
Why do we insist on comparing the 2 series to 2 seaters (be it Porsche or Mazda)?
Irrational exuberance?
More like irrational attachment <3
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 07:43 PM   #33
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No sellers remorse but

With the empty spot in my garage after selling the m235 I have been looking and reading and thinking of what to buy now. I did enjoy the BMW in most all aspects. So looked into a newer 240 or even a 440. They both drive nice I have no doubt. But they don’t have that look of coolness in my eye at this time. I was riding my scooter through town this evening and I saw a car come up to the corner and stop. I thought there is a 3 or 4 series now. As I passed by to see the BMW Roundel I was shocked to see the Buick emblem! So I am still trying to decide on another car. The 2 series is truly a hard car to replace with performance and quality. But been there and need something thing different for the third car fun car. Go ahead tell me like it is. I enjoy others perspective.
Hap
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 08:30 PM   #34
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
With the empty spot in my garage after selling the m235 I have been looking and reading and thinking of what to buy now. I did enjoy the BMW in most all aspects. So looked into a newer 240 or even a 440. They both drive nice I have no doubt. But they don’t have that look of coolness in my eye at this time. I was riding my scooter through town this evening and I saw a car come up to the corner and stop. I thought there is a 3 or 4 series now. As I passed by to see the BMW Roundel I was shocked to see the Buick emblem! So I am still trying to decide on another car. The 2 series is truly a hard car to replace with performance and quality. But been there and need something thing different for the third car fun car. Go ahead tell me like it is. I enjoy others perspective.
Hap
Buy the car you most like to drive. If you see something better looking, put up its’ poster in your garage. Beauty’s only skin deep.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2020, 09:36 PM   #35
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
With the empty spot in my garage after selling the m235 I have been looking and reading and thinking of what to buy now. I did enjoy the BMW in most all aspects. So looked into a newer 240 or even a 440. They both drive nice I have no doubt. But they don't have that look of coolness in my eye at this time. I was riding my scooter through town this evening and I saw a car come up to the corner and stop. I thought there is a 3 or 4 series now. As I passed by to see the BMW Roundel I was shocked to see the Buick emblem! So I am still trying to decide on another car. The 2 series is truly a hard car to replace with performance and quality. But been there and need something thing different for the third car fun car. Go ahead tell me like it is. I enjoy others perspective.
Hap
Hey Hap, get a 911 Carrera, if not an outright Turbo!

One car I never thought I'd seriously consider, and yet I did (and kinda still am!) is the Caterham 7! God the cool factor is sky high in a Caterham

Also, I must add, the M240/M235 is a great package but... the logical next step is the P-car haha honestly I am in a similar situation as you, except I still have my M240i. I just want... more.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:41 AM   #36
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Buy the car you most like to drive. If you see something better looking, put up its’ poster in your garage. Beauty’s only skin deep.
Hey Stick
You are probably correct again. I see your signature has removed Snowbird.....You are a wise man.
Appreciate 1
Sportstick4651.00
      06-18-2020, 04:15 PM   #37
spdandpwr
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 M Comp

I have an M235 that I got into after owning a F80 M3. I had to sell because the misses needed a car. To be honest, besides the outrageously high limits of the car, I don't really miss it. The lower limits actually mean it's more engaging to drive fast. It's also surprisingly quick; I have the vert and everyone' s impressed with how well I keep up. I do think the steering feel is a little strange but everything else is solid.

So where does that leave us within the context of this convo? Well, the m240 isn't a bad idea. It's a more powerful version of what you had with a newer, better iDrive.

I myself am looking at either the m240 or the Z4 M40i...I bought my m235 used and I can't really say I enjoy used cars much...maybe I just need to detail the interior?

Last edited by spdandpwr; 06-18-2020 at 04:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 03:35 PM   #38
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Bim Bim
Driving them back to back as you suggested made it clear for me.
230 is nice I told the sales lady.
But I will take the 240
Convertible was a what the heck let’s try one.
Life is,short and I have never owned one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
harma24402.50
      06-25-2020, 02:39 AM   #39
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Bim Bim
Driving them back to back as you suggested made it clear for me.
230 is nice I told the sales lady.
But I will take the 240
Convertible was a what the heck let's try one.
Life is,short and I have never owned one.
Hap, congratulations on a lovely car!! Driving the convertible variant in the M240i xDrive is a spiritual experience; it is effortless joy. The AWD ensures plenty of zips and zooms for those stop lights to twisty backroads fun while making sure that the car remains ON RAILS!

The front pulls aggressively in the AWD variant; you will notice that it makes the car seem a bit quicker. A little fancy wrist-work and you can throw it around without worrying about ending in a ditch.

Convertible life is joyful, easy life. I am glad that you got the AT; when you stop focusing on shifting gears, you start enjoying the scenery, and the open air... and that, my friend, is serene. And I am sure you have felt that already

What color is the interior? Also does it snow where you live?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 02:43 AM   #40
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdandpwr View Post
I have an M235 that I got into after owning a F80 M3. I had to sell because the misses needed a car. To be honest, besides the outrageously high limits of the car, I don't really miss it. The lower limits actually mean it's more engaging to drive fast. It's also surprisingly quick; I have the vert and everyone' s impressed with how well I keep up. I do think the steering feel is a little strange but everything else is solid.

So where does that leave us within the context of this convo? Well, the m240 isn't a bad idea. It's a more powerful version of what you had with a newer, better iDrive.

I myself am looking at either the m240 or the Z4 M40i...I bought my m235 used and I can't really say I enjoy used cars much...maybe I just need to detail the interior?
Ah the age old conundrum! Z4 M40i vs the M240i!

Roadsters are lovely but if I can get AWD and two extra seats with usable cargo space, god the car becomes a complete package. I struggled with the Z4 as well, but then the thought of being able to stuff our children back there (with goggles) was too cute and too awesome to forgo. So, the M240i it was.

I am like you my friend, I cannot do used cars... the image of people farting into seats I will be parking my ass on is just so terrible haha. No really, it is good to be the first
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 04:50 AM   #41
Hap
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 M240i  [0.00]
Quote:
Hap, congratulations on a lovely car!! Driving the convertible variant in the M240i xDrive is a spiritual experience; it is effortless joy. The AWD ensures plenty of zips and zooms for those stop lights to twisty backroads fun while making sure that the car remains ON RAILS!

The front pulls aggressively in the AWD variant; you will notice that it makes the car seem a bit quicker. A little fancy wrist-work and you can throw it around without worrying about ending in a ditch.

Convertible life is joyful, easy life. I am glad that you got the AT; when you stop focusing on shifting gears, you start enjoying the scenery, and the open air... and that, my friend, is serene. And I am sure you have felt that already

Yes I am happy so far with my impulse purchase of Convertible. This is a fun car not something I have to drive. The car is black, black top, black interior, and black wheels. It will become my third part time job keeping it clean. The 230 is a nice car and could have lived with it. But why not get the one I found great fun to drive. I always stored the rear wheel drive m235...but this AWD may allow a bit of winter driving.

Does it snow here ?...only 6 months a year !
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 06:08 PM   #42
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hap View Post
Quote:

Yes I am happy so far with my impulse purchase of Convertible. This is a fun car not something I have to drive. The car is black, black top, black interior, and black wheels. It will become my third part time job keeping it clean. The 230 is a nice car and could have lived with it. But why not get the one I found great fun to drive. I always stored the rear wheel drive m235...but this AWD may allow a bit of winter driving.

Does it snow here ?...only 6 months a year !
Oh we are both in the Midwest! I am 15 minutes outside of Minneapolis!

Enjoy your car. One thing that will make convertible life absolutely a breeze is a SmartTop module.

Hap, this is the best mod I have done. It uses a harness to hook into your top controller, and gives you amazing benefits like:

- one touch top operation
- massive key fob range for top and widows opening and closing
- did I mention one touch top open and close? God i love it

Also, get full screen Apple car play mod done as well. It is the BEST!

Oh and I must add, winter driving in an AWD convertible is sheer joy!! Pull some snowy drifts haha or drive with the top off in around 40!
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2020, 08:19 PM   #43
Hapbob
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I will check it out

Thanks for,the tip BimBim
Smart module for bmw convertible?
I actually pick it up tomorrow and it is going to be sunny and 85
I have a 90 mile drive home. I will have top down.
Gots to take advantage of the days where a convertible makes sense
There will be many more that won’t make having it practical
We shall see
Hap
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2020, 01:07 AM   #44
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for,the tip BimBim
Smart module for bmw convertible?
I actually pick it up tomorrow and it is going to be sunny and 85
I have a 90 mile drive home. I will have top down.
Gots to take advantage of the days where a convertible makes sense
There will be many more that won't make having it practical
We shall see
Hap
Here it is:

https://www.mods4cars.com/sms/db/sma...lLmNvbS8=&

Also, I have driven mine is a bloody snow storm as well as thunderstorms raining cats, dogs and damn mice. Come winter, put snow tires on that XDrive and you have a tank! The top holds up like nobody's business
Appreciate 0