THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 228i Exhaust flap keeps opening and closing on throttle application

01-20-2019, 12:25 AM   #1
Coins
Rep
Drives: BMW 228I M Sport

228i Exhaust flap keeps opening and closing on throttle application

Hi all,

So I've had this problem since I bought the car. I took it to the dealership and they assured me that this is completely normal and is working as intended but the more I read about how the flap works the more weird the behavior of my exhaust flap seems.

On cold start it doesn't move until the car is warmed up, then you can clearly hear it open up. When I apply the throttle, it closes and opens up again. When I let go of the throttle at low speed it closes again, as soon as I apply the throttle it opens up again and then closes and opens up again.

Basically, as soon as I put my foot on the throttle, it opens up, as soon as I let go it closes again. I've only noticed this happening at low speed (5-10km/h).

This happens in Comfort, Sport and Sport+.

Does anyone else experience the same behavior?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 12:38 AM   #2
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coins View Post
Hi all,

So I've had this problem since I bought the car. I took it to the dealership and they assured me that this is completely normal and is working as intended but the more I read about how the flap works the more weird the behavior of my exhaust flap seems.

On cold start it doesn't move until the car is warmed up, then you can clearly hear it open up. When I apply the throttle, it closes and opens up again. When I let go of the throttle at low speed it closes again, as soon as I apply the throttle it opens up again and then closes and opens up again.

Basically, as soon as I put my foot on the throttle, it opens up, as soon as I let go it closes again. I've only noticed this happening at low speed (5-10km/h).

This happens in Comfort, Sport and Sport+.

Does anyone else experience the same behavior?
Different model years and software integration have different valve behavior. For instance, new vehicles have that loud "cold start rumble" every time you start the vehicle, even if it's already warmed up.

The older models only has the cold-start RPM hold only when the engine senses that the motor is still cold.

Same concept goes with the overrun burbles between different software versions and variable behavior.

So it's difficult for anyone to pin-point if they're working as 'intended.'
Appreciate 0