THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Texts and Emails

01-14-2019, 10:44 AM   #1
bclinsure
Rep
Drives:

Texts and Emails

I just picked up a new 2019 2 series iX Convertible. I noticed I wasn't getting any of my texts sent to the car. After trying to figure it out on my own I spoke to someone in the 'genius' dept. They couldn't figure it out so I call the dealership and was told that I CANNOT get texts or emails sent to the car from my phone (an Android), unless you have an Apple and use the Apple Car Play, and even then it doesn't work the same way. He said BMW is trying to stop people from checking their messages while driving.

I am so disgusted if this is true. Even my son's brand new low end Nissan gets messages, how is it that this $50,000+ car can't or won't.

Is this accurate?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #2
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

I have a 2017 M240i and an Android phone (Samsung S9). I was getting texts and emails via, I believe, the BMW Connected app. I am guessing a bit here because every time I started the car, my phone would open the app which then requires a PIN or fingerprint to start the app fully. Then notifications would appear in the upper right corner of the center display. I only had this app because I'd heard about it when I bought my 2015 X5. Usability was negligible for that car so I just ignored the app until I got the M240i and noticed it again.

Because I seldom actually used this feature, I just noticed the other day that the app stopped automatically opening when starting the car. Your post prompted me to check the app. It appears I just had to reaccept the app's terms and policies, again. Maybe now it will open automatically next time I start the car...?

Anyway, don't know if any of this is helpful to you. I am not very tech-savvy, so not sure I can offer any more help. Shout if you have specific questions, happy to research using my phone and car.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:08 AM   #3
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I've never been able to receive texts or emails in my m240i.

The only way I know to do it is use Android Auto on your phone.
I bought a magnetic mount for my phone and just use it directly.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 11:09 AM   #4
bclinsure
Rep
Drives:

2019 Versions

From what I understood, this only about the 2019 vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
gaushell
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 330i Black

works on my 2017 with a galaxy s9+ both texts and emails when connecteddrive app is turned on. however, i could only get texts with my motorola droid. seems like it varies per android phone - at least on 2017.

note that i had to connect bluetooth and then go into settings on my phone (under bluetooth) to allow:
Call Audio
Media Audio
Contact Access
Message Access

all four had to be on. It took like a day for Message Access to come on the first time.

sure hope this isn't a new "feature" for 2019 and beyond.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 08:56 PM   #6
aaaaah
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Nuggets

I agree with BMW if they are doing this. Texts and emails are unnecessary to be able to access whilst driving.

If it was urgent enough that warranted immediate attention, 99.9% of the time someone should call you.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #7
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

I can confirm, now that I have re-accepted the terms and conditions of the BMW Connected app on my phone (perhaps they require you do this annually?), that text and emails once again show up in my notifications in the car.

Like aaaaah said, however, I find this feature to be unnecessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2019, 07:30 PM   #8
skeeedunt
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Was recently researching this on my 2019. See this thread https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1445120, particularly this post:

Quote:
CarPlay has nothing to do with Enhanced Bluetooth (6NS or 6NW). You need either 6NS or 6NW to have BMW Office -which then can display messages in your iDrive screen.

In other words -if you cannot see the option at your iPhone Bluetooth settings of "Show Notifications" then there is no 6NS or 6NW in your car.

It can be coded -search the coding forum.
From what I've gathered, Enhanced Bluetooth used to be a standalone option (I paid for it in my 2016). It's now linked to the Wireless Charging (?!) option.

Without that, you don't have Office and are unable to receive texts in iDrive, full stop. IF you have Carplay and an iPhone, you can receive texts through that. Android users are screwed. I've tried disabling Carplay, deleting all connections, and repairing - still no option to send texts.

That's what I've been able to piece together anyway. Please chime in if you've experienced different.
Appreciate 0