THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum m235i rwd zf8 full auto mode hits limiter occasionally

01-09-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

m235i rwd zf8 full auto mode hits limiter occasionally

On my way to work this morning the tranny hit the rev limiter (or at least that's what it felt like it was doing) when I floored it on the highway. It kicked down, went all the way through 2nd gear, then at the top of 2nd it felt like it hit the limiter and didn't upshift. It was weird. It then did it again later.

It's in sport+, transmission to the left in "S" but I never touched the paddles so it never went manual mode. Any ideas? All I have done so far is stage 1 hex tune.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone? Still did it this morning. Felt like it was hitting the limiter before the transmission could shift if I had to describe what it feels like
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 09:59 AM   #3
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
On my way to work this morning the tranny hit the rev limiter (or at least that's what it felt like it was doing) when I floored it on the highway. It kicked down, went all the way through 2nd gear, then at the top of 2nd it felt like it hit the limiter and didn't upshift. It was weird. It then did it again later.

It's in sport+, transmission to the left in "S" but I never touched the paddles so it never went manual mode. Any ideas? All I have done so far is stage 1 hex tune.

Thanks!
It will feel like it's capped out in Sport+ mode if you're WOT and then abruptly pull off of the gas pedal, but if you kept on the pedal, it would've upshifted to the next gear. You could've overridden it with the paddle even if you're not in M mode.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 10:20 AM   #4
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Foot was pinned the entire time and it sat at redline for a good two seconds before it shifted and that can't be right
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:44 PM   #5
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

How long after you started the cold car did you start going full throttle? Assuming the car is parked somewhere where temps are below 60 degrees and it's a stone cold start, it takes a ~15 minutes of driving to get engine oil, transmission fluid, and differential oils up to temp. Coolant warms up much faster, but transmission and engine oil take far longer and are much more important. Most automatics will have abrupt shifting, delayed shifting, and weird characteristics if you hammer on them while the fluid is cold. FYI, automatic transmission fluid expands 10-15% when at temp and the transmission depends on this expansion for optimal performance and shifting.

It is very wise to not drive hard until the car is up to full operating temp, ESPECIALLY the transmission fluid and engine oil.

Lastly, you'd likely get better response on the M2 forum as you've got a DCT and the M235/M240 have planetary automatics. Your Hex tune could also be playing havoc with the torque management system as the transmission computer is trying to figure out why the torque values are so high in comparison to what it's expecting.
      01-10-2019, 01:42 PM   #6
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

No i have the ZF8 in my m235i. I don't have my M2 anymore.

This happened on the highway a good half hour into my drive so everything was up to temperature
Appreciate 0