THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Intake Scoops?

12-04-2018, 06:19 AM   #1
aturk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Intake Scoops?

Does anyone make intake scoops for our cars?

My buddy (RIP) passed away a few weeks ago, and as I was going over his car (08 335i sedan) to make a mod list for his wife to sell it... I noticed he had some ECS intake scoops. They looked cool and could be a little useful, at least while moving.

Think of some carefully bent metal sitting behind the grills that direct excess air into the intake area of our cars.
      12-04-2018, 07:32 AM   #2
Funwithdesign
Arsevader
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

AFE makes a scoop
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 01:42 PM   #3
Estoril6rod
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i X-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by aturk View Post
Does anyone make intake scoops for our cars?

My buddy (RIP) passed away a few weeks ago, and as I was going over his car (08 335i sedan) to make a mod list for his wife to sell it... I noticed he had some ECS intake scoops. They looked cool and could be a little useful, at least while moving.

Think of some carefully bent metal sitting behind the grills that direct excess air into the intake area of our cars.

Hello, Eventuri offer the scoop of their intake system as a single part. I bought one but never installed it, I’m actually selling it here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1496887

Send me a PM if interested!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 05:41 AM   #4
aturk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril6rod View Post
Hello, Eventuri offer the scoop of their intake system as a single part. I bought one but never installed it, I’m actually selling it here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1496887

Send me a PM if interested!
Thanks for the info!

For my goals, the AFE is available on Amazon for $48/shipped. Hard to argue with that price.
      12-12-2018, 06:40 AM   #5
aturk
Private First Class
Rep

Just got the AFE intake scoop and installed it over the weekend.

Had to pull off the driver's side kidney grill, and then squeeze the AFE intake scoop over the soft rubber intake vent. Took me a few minutes to realize it's a pressure fit, and after fighting with it, it's installed. I wouldn't say it's a tough install, it's my first time figuring out the kidney grills with the bumper cover on the car.

So maybe 15-20 minutes to take off the kidney grill, and another 20 minutes figuring out how the AFE intake scoop fits properly.

Could do it in ten minutes next time.

Unfortunately the Charlotte area was hit with a lot of snow this past weekend and I'll be traveling the next week, so I won't be able to report back.

Goal was to try to get a little bit more fresh air to the filter, and hopefully dropo IAT's closer to ambient. My car always seems to run about 10*F than outside temps even while cruising.
      12-12-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
Funwithdesign
Arsevader
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

Good to hear. As for this affecting IATs, don't hold your breath, anything that you do before the turbo is going to have minimal effect, that's the job of the intercooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
aturk
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funwithdesign View Post
Good to hear. As for this affecting IATs, don't hold your breath, anything that you do before the turbo is going to have minimal effect, that's the job of the intercooler.
We used to see 20 degree colder IAT's back in my DSM days by running true cold air intakes versus keeping the filter in the engine bay. This was the equivalent of going from where we run them in the F-chassis N55 cars, and throwing them in the fender well in front of the front tire.

While I don't expect a 20 degree drop, I do certainly expect 5 degree drop at speed. Air is now being forced into the intake path instead of mostly sucking from a hot engine bay.