THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Should this be covered under warranty?

11-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Stereo warranty question

I picked up a 2016 m235xi last week under cpo. I didn't drive the car at night until yesterday and noticed two of the radio buttons were cracked.

The dealer said this isn't covered under warranty and I would need to replace the entire headunit out of pocket.

I figure I can keep complaining up the chain but I'm curious if anyone has had a similar experience or has any suggestions.

Thanks!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 12:07 PM   #2
omera60
First Lieutenant
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 218i Coupe

Garage List
I don't think it is possible to cover such defects under warranty as they are counted as normal wear and tear. However, it's not the headunit that needs replacing. You only need Operating Unit of the radio part number: 61 31 6 814 188. The part should be just 94 USD. It is a very straightforward job.
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2018, 12:51 PM   #3
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

I don't think that is normal wear and tear. A crack like that would be abusive handling - I want to know how that passed CPO inspection. Demand to have it replaced.

Interesting to read the documentation delivered with the car concerning warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #4
kegobass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

I'm going to try to get the dealer to fix it like Scott suggested and if they just won't budge and it's getting to be more of a hassle than it's worth, I'll do it myself using the part# above and make sure the BMW survey is filled out accordingly. I appreciate the suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
Funwithdesign
Arsevader
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i

That is not wear and tear, especially as those buttons are touch sensitive and you barely touch them.

My car was in for the same thing a couple of weeks ago. They took pics and submitted to BMW and will let me know. And for what it's worth mine was the third car with that issue that day.

They aren't scratches, the buttons crack, hard to notice until it's dark and the light shines through.
Appreciate 0