THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning GFB DV+ and Intake heads up

11-20-2018, 09:54 AM   #1
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 Xdrive50i M Sport

GFB DV+ and Intake heads up

So I have installed a JB4, VRSF FMIC, Charge pipe and GFB DV+(both springs installed), Burger Intake. I have DP & boost pipe just haven't installed yet wanted to find bugs before I install more.

Ive got the M235i, auto trans and running map 1. I will get a code 123511 sluggish wastegate ONLY in Sport mode. Usually when on a long decal from high rpm. I think it is because the DV+ modulates pressure more so vs full dumping like factory. And when in sport mode the throttle response is sharper, so when under decal the DV+ holds slightly higher pressure and throws a code.

I know there is a warning in the instructions that it may throw a code but doesn't say what the code may be. I wanted to share what I have found in case others are looking into this mod. I will likely remove the larger spring so the DV+ acts like a factory diverter valve. I like the sharp throttle response and not willing to give it up.

Also if you have the Burger Tuning intake. I had to modify the mounting bracket on the air box_cut about 3/4" off and used 1 mount bolt in order to lower the intake tube). The MAF sensor sits much higher than stock and when the hood was closed it would be pushing on the sensor connector excessively in my opinion. The insulation on the hood had an indentation where the sensor was pressing on the connector. I have seen some grumblings about issues with this intake and perhaps the connection on that sensor being squished & under pressure by the hood is causing the problem.

Car runs strong now, looking forward to DP. Not looking forward to DP fix issues. Doesn't seem like there is a common for sure fix yet. I bought JB4 thinking that would be the solution before finding out that isn't the case anymore. And the work around hides all codes, don't want that.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #2
Pray for Mojo
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i & 2018 X3 M40i

Flash tune and never look back, eliminates the DP codes.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 12:52 PM   #3
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

more info please

got a link?
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #4
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMotoMan View Post
So I have installed a JB4, VRSF FMIC, Charge pipe and GFB DV+(both springs installed), Burger Intake. I have DP & boost pipe just haven't installed yet wanted to find bugs before I install more.

Ive got the M235i, auto trans and running map 1. I will get a code 123511 sluggish wastegate ONLY in Sport mode. Usually when on a long decal from high rpm. I think it is because the DV+ modulates pressure more so vs full dumping like factory. And when in sport mode the throttle response is sharper, so when under decal the DV+ holds slightly higher pressure and throws a code.
These aftermarket DV's with the metal plunger seem like a disaster to me and may be the cause of the issues. When you install these DV's, the metal plunger is to be lubricated. Thing is, I had a Turbosmart DV on my 2012 WRX and it has the same setup as the GFB DV. After about 3 months of the driving, the plunger would need to be removed and re-lubricated as all the lubricant would get worn away. Without lubricant, the DV would be slow to react, thus making it worse than the OEM DV. Servicing the DV on the WRX was a breeze as it was right on top of the motor. The DV in the N55 is buried in No-man's Land. I would bet if you pulled that plunger, you'd see that it's no longer lubricated and is dragging heavily on the DV cylinder walls.
      11-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #5
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

maybe

This is a fresh install with only 50 miles or so. If it has been there awhile I would be more inclined to agree. I can get the light to come on is predictable and repeatable. Im not saying your wrong, but with a brass piston in an aluminum housing Im not on board saying it is binding just yet.

Id like to hear from others with the DV+ installed, to know if they have issues as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
These aftermarket DV's with the metal plunger seem like a disaster to me and may be the cause of the issues. When you install these DV's, the metal plunger is to be lubricated. Thing is, I had a Turbosmart DV on my 2012 WRX and it has the same setup as the GFB DV. After about 3 months of the driving, the plunger would need to be removed and re-lubricated as all the lubricant would get worn away. Without lubricant, the DV would be slow to react, thus making it worse than the OEM DV. Servicing the DV on the WRX was a breeze as it was right on top of the motor. The DV in the N55 is buried in No-man's Land. I would bet if you pulled that plunger, you'd see that it's no longer lubricated and is dragging heavily on the DV cylinder walls.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2018, 03:54 PM   #6
Jpup
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

FWIW, I had a GFB DV+ installed on my 2012 C250 Coupe a few cars ago. I had the DV on there for around 20k miles before trading in. Granted this was a Mercedes, it never appeared to be stuck or throw any codes for that matter. I never had to go back out and lubricate the DV after initial install. It worked great and I look forward to adding one to my 2 series once I get myself to attempt the install.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2018, 07:50 AM   #7
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
got a link?
Quote:
got a link?
Pro tuning freaks makes bm3. The best flash tune platform out there. I used to be. Jb4 fanboy until i got bm3. Everything is better.

https://www.protuningfreaks.com/prod...5i-x3-x4-x5-m2

Runs with your laptop or with your phone if you get the wifi device. Device is $300 from them or you can make your own (identical to there's) for $60 with diy thread on here somewhere.
      11-21-2018, 09:51 AM   #8
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
We've got guys with these and 10's of thousands of mileage with no issues to report.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:02 AM   #9
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

i hear ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
We've got guys with these and 10's of thousands of mileage with no issues to report.
Personally I think the issue I am having is the warning they mention in the instructions that it may throw a code on some cars. ITs not all the time just in sport mode under long decels. So if I run it up in manual trans mode lets say in 4th gear to red line and then let off the gas and coast down, around 4k rpm car will throw code then go limp. If I just use it(sport mode) to launch from a dead stop then shift into comfort mode before revs come down to low, or get back on the gas a little and let it shift itself down in the revs. No problem. Like I said I can replicate the issue and I know when it comes in. I just wanted to throw it out there for feedback and give heads up to others. I know how frustrating it can be to have an issue and not find any reference to it anywhere. Or some old vague reference.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:07 AM   #10
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

please clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEda235i View Post
Pro tuning freaks makes bm3. The best flash tune platform out there. I used to be. Jb4 fanboy until i got bm3. Everything is better.

Runs with your laptop or with your phone if you get the wifi device. Device is $300 from them or you can make your own (identical to there's) for $60 with diy thread on here somewhere.
What device are you talking about? Need OBD ENET cable and a laptop to flash, that's it right?

**Cold start cat heat cycle and cat efficiency check removed (for off-road use)**

Is this the option that gets rid of the CEL for catless DP?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEda235i View Post

What device are you talking about? Need OBD ENET cable and a laptop to flash, that's it right?

**Cold start cat heat cycle and cat efficiency check removed (for off-road use)**

Is this the option that gets rid of the CEL for catless DP?
Yes you need the cable. You can plug it into the laptop and flash/change map from there.

Or you can buy this
https://www.protuningfreaks.com/coll...a-all-f-series

You plug the enet cable into it and then connect it to your phone's hot spot. Then you can control everything thru the bm3 phone app

Yes it has the dp fix option.
Adjustable burbles, boost by gear, top speed limiter removal, etc...
      11-24-2018, 10:27 AM   #12
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

update to DV+

So I thought I would give a quick update on the DV+

I put the jb4 in disabled(Map0) and tried to replicate the throwing of the code. Couldn't do it. SOOOO I went back to Map1, tried to replicate the problem. Couldn't do it. So I'm maybe the car needed time to adapt. I didn't reset the adaptive settings via the gas pedal to the floor and push start button, or however it goes after installing everything. I'm thinking maybe now I should have.

Thanks for the info on the coding. I think that will be my next step. I want to drive the car for a week or 2 and try to get the code to come back before I move on the DP.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 04:07 PM   #13
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Hey, I got this same code a few times. It ended up being my ewg connection. Somewhere something must have been shorting out.

I pulled the ewg connector and peeled the wires apart and individually wrapped both in tape. Then wrapped both together with heat tape and reinstalled.

I have not gotten the code in over a year now. Also the whatever the issue was, it was very sporadic, but seemed to happen more often when the car was very hot.

There were no obvious spots where wire was exposed or the insulation looked damaged
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2018, 05:14 PM   #14
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

good to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
Hey, I got this same code a few times. It ended up being my ewg connection. Somewhere something must have been shorting out.

I pulled the ewg connector and peeled the wires apart and individually wrapped both in tape. Then wrapped both together with heat tape and reinstalled.

I have not gotten the code in over a year now. Also the whatever the issue was, it was very sporadic, but seemed to happen more often when the car was very hot.

There were no obvious spots where wire was exposed or the insulation looked damaged
Thanks for chiming in. I was thinking of removing the ewg wire for troubleshooting since map 1 doesn't require the ewg wire installed. I am currently comparing BM3 and MHD flashes also. I prefer to have a tune and be done. I don't really care to continuously tinker with my car. I have other toys for that. I had the JB4 on my '07 335, so I went with it again not looking into it to much. Looks like there are more options these days...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2018, 03:37 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Personally I think the issue I am having is the warning they mention in the instructions that it may throw a code on some cars. ITs not all the time just in sport mode under long decels. So if I run it up in manual trans mode lets say in 4th gear to red line and then let off the gas and coast down, around 4k rpm car will throw code then go limp. If I just use it(sport mode) to launch from a dead stop then shift into comfort mode before revs come down to low, or get back on the gas a little and let it shift itself down in the revs. No problem. Like I said I can replicate the issue and I know when it comes in. I just wanted to throw it out there for feedback and give heads up to others. I know how frustrating it can be to have an issue and not find any reference to it anywhere. Or some old vague reference.
Have you double checked the install? I sincerely never heard of any of these issues and we move a lot of them.
Quote:
So I thought I would give a quick update on the DV+

I put the jb4 in disabled(Map0) and tried to replicate the throwing of the code. Couldn't do it. SOOOO I went back to Map1, tried to replicate the problem. Couldn't do it. So I'm maybe the car needed time to adapt. I didn't reset the adaptive settings via the gas pedal to the floor and push start button, or however it goes after installing everything. I'm thinking maybe now I should have.

Thanks for the info on the coding. I think that will be my next step. I want to drive the car for a week or 2 and try to get the code to come back before I move on the DP.
Funny you mention this, my mistake for thinking this was a given but I used to recommend in the past when an issue persist to try a fresh reload of maps/adaptations. Perhaps you're getting somewhere. GL.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #16
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

update

Seems like the problem of the reandom sluggish wastegate error code is back. Happened in an unexpected situation and in comfort mode.

BUT, I removed my JB4 and installed VRSF downpipe(after the codes reemergence). Reset adaptations via gas pedal process. I then went for a few test drives and no DP CEL. I removed the JB4 planning to do a flash instead. I bought the car used and now I am wondering if it has already been flashed since I got no DP CEL. This might be the reason I am having wastegate codes. Running the JB4 with with a flash and not knowing it, maybe?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 02:49 AM   #17
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

here in South Africa many people run a dp (my self included up until 2 weeks ago when i went FBO) with out throwing codes at all with the stock tune

'14 F20 M135i EWG FBO:// INJEN INTAKE // PURE INLET// TURBOSMART BOV DUAL PORT //
//CSF INTERCOOLER // ER CP // SNOW S2.5 METH KIT // B58TU HPFP // NGK 97506 // ER DP // TMSS MID PIPE //MPE // MPBBK // UR STRUT BRACE // BM3 CUSTOM JORDAN E85 TUNE // XHP STAGE 3 //
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 09:15 AM   #18
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

check all your wires for shorts...

You need to hook up ISTA and read...

Everything else is a monkey fking a football. Trust me.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:10 PM   #19
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Seems like the problem of the reandom sluggish wastegate error code is back. Happened in an unexpected situation and in comfort mode.

BUT, I removed my JB4 and installed VRSF downpipe(after the codes reemergence). Reset adaptations via gas pedal process. I then went for a few test drives and no DP CEL. I removed the JB4 planning to do a flash instead. I bought the car used and now I am wondering if it has already been flashed since I got no DP CEL. This might be the reason I am having wastegate codes. Running the JB4 with with a flash and not knowing it, maybe?
It takes a bit to trip the light, but it will likely come.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 11:11 PM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

What does an upgrade DV+ do anyhow?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:47 AM   #21
MiniMotoMan
Private
Rep

Changed to mhd, stage 2+. Havent had the DV+ issue. And i can really hear the wastegate now, never heard it before. I did remove the jb4 so its a stand alone mhd flash. This option got rid of the dp cel light & all the tune i need. Took awhile but cel from dp did come on. Mhd is nice id recommend it if your ok with flashing your own ecu. If not, jb4 is good option especially if you dont do FBO.

As previously mentioned perhaps the jb4 ewg plug might need some cleaning or something. I will sell the jb4 & run just the mhd. I dont want to tinker, just drive. I like the mhd is out of sight & out of mind also.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:25 PM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taskmaster View Post
What does an upgrade DV+ do anyhow?
Stock one is prone to leak/fail as it ages or without increased boost, especially as it ages.

Folks have found increased performance, response and solutions to unrealized boost leaks that they never knew they even had.
Appreciate 0