THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Could lowering car lead to brake squeal?

10-31-2018, 02:06 PM   #1
lazymman345
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Alpine White M235i

Could lowering car lead to brake squeal?

Hey guys, when I bought my car 10 months ago it came with dinan springs installed on it. The past few months I have been have really bad brake squeal and according to IDrive the pads don't need to be replace yet. I just passed the brake fluid service so may get that done first. If the fluid doesn't fix the problem I was thinking of taking it into BMW to see what they have to say about it.

Problem is I have an intake, tune, downpipe and as said before, the car is lowered. Is it possible that the lowering could lead to brake issues? Also would they say anything about engine mods if I am not trying to get something engine related fixed? I am still under warranty so obviously wouldn't want the car to get flagged or anything
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 02:33 PM   #2
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

lowering should not have any correlation to brake squeal. if the tech hung a caliper by a brake line for some reason then maybe an issue could arise but even that is extremely remote.

is the squeal at all four wheels ? first thing is to disassemble the brake pads, inspect, clean caliper and replace anti-squeal backing plates and use a brake paste. there is also a debate about whether brake cleaner should ever be used on rotors or brake pads.

I've had a brake pad shift askew on a new car and cause a squeal.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 06:15 PM   #3
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
did it get cold recently where you're located? The brakes on my 235 squeal in the cold at low speeds all the time. When it's hotter than 70F it goes away entirely.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2018, 07:36 AM   #4
EM240
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M2 LCI; 17 M240ix; '19 Taco

My 17 m240 squeaks all the time with about 50F temps or colder too. Drives me insane. Had a bmw tech put some anti squeak stuff on the brakes during my last service visit and it worked for 2 days now back to squealing every time I brake
Appreciate 0