THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Tracking / Autocrossing How Do I Disable Both Dynamic Stability Control (DSC) and Traction Control (DTC)

08-10-2018, 12:49 PM   #23
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Drive with DSC off... Sport+ still has nannies on and with your experience level, you don't want any of the nannies on. I made the mistake of assuming that the nannies would be smart enough to out-drive me but I was wrong. It's a major crutch. In Sport +, the throttle response is so abrupt that it really tough to get a good linear power delivery. Yes, the eLSD can be coded off. Knowing some of your background, run DSC off and don't look back.
Thanks, that's the conclusion I've come to as well. And I've had the eDiff/eLSD coded off.

It'll be just me driving the car, which is what I'm used to. I've run that way at close to 200 track days, at rally school, and at many winter car control clinics, so it should be fine.

I haven't had a novice student in a while, but depending upon their experience I can imagine asking one to keep his or her nannies on until I see how they're managing their inputs. I wonder how many drivers bringing their current BMWs to the track have a good understanding of what their car is doing and how it's doing those things. In that regard, Nugget's chart was extremely helpful to me.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 01:56 PM   #24
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Can someone explain why code off the eLSD?

It didn't feel like very intrusive during Auto X.

I could see from logged data that eLSD triggered brake a little bit in tight corner but I couldn't feel much.
Isn't it applying brake only on inside rear wheel?

In theory, it should help to reduce inside wheel spin. (not hurting anything, at least)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 05:00 PM   #25
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Can someone explain why code off the eLSD?

It didn't feel like very intrusive during Auto X.

I could see from logged data that eLSD triggered brake a little bit in tight corner but I couldn't feel much.
Isn't it applying brake only on inside rear wheel?

In theory, it should help to reduce inside wheel spin. (not hurting anything, at least)
If you have a mechanical LSD on the car then there could be briefs moments when the LSD is starting to allow some slip and then the eLSD notices and starts applying the brakes.... while it would be better and more progressive for the mechanical LSD to do it's work and start limiting the slip

does it makes sense?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:14 PM   #26
TajoMan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240 xdrive, X3M40i

Makes sense for a car with real LSD.
Then it wouldn't hurt for non LSD equipped car, right? (other then brake pad usage)
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 06:35 PM   #27
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveCN View Post
I am taking the m235i to an autocross this weekend, and gald I came across this thread. My plan is to initially run with DSC Off. I dont think the difference in throttle response in that environment will outweigh the likelihood that DTC would be kicking in at times.

We shall see.

Seemed like a good place to go hoon this car. I typically track a sorted e36 m3. Prior to that, an e30. The f22 is the daily driver, but I wanted to go push it a little, but not at the track, as I prefer having the security that the cage/seats/harness, etc give in my e36.
My situation is similar. I wrecked my E30 track car, sold my E36 race car a couple of years ago, and now the F22 is my street/track car - at least it will be after I take it to its first event at Mid-Ohio next weekend.

My solution for the lack of chairs, harnesses, and roll cage is Schroth's Quick Fit Pro 4-point harness. Based upon the description and video on HMS Motorsport's website, I'm expecting it to hold me in place at least reasonably well, and perhaps as well as a 6-pointer as far as upper torso support goes. Even if it doesn't, I won't put full-on safety gear in this car.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #28
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TajoMan View Post
Makes sense for a car with real LSD.
Then it wouldn't hurt for non LSD equipped car, right? (other then brake pad usage)
It shouldn't hurt... it's a "feature" trying to simulate a real LSD.... your pads should wear a bit faster but i would think it would be negligible compared to the use of the pads on hard braking.....
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2018, 05:48 PM   #29
DaveCN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i, '98 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
for auto-x you can run DSC OFF ... you won't be going fast enough for anything bad to happen...

at a road course I would run sport+ unless you have enough experience and know what you are doing, but you can always turn DSC OFF and push incrementally
DSC OFF worked much better. I tried both. We were actually on a pretty high speed course using a few parts of the tri-oval at Kentucky Speedway. At one stretch, some cars were approaching 100, which is fast for an auto-x.

I dont have plans to track this anytime soon. I have a dedicated e36 m3 for that with the requisite safety gear (bar, seats, harnesses, etc.)

But if for some reason I did track it, I would run DSC OFF. for sure. But that is because I have 13+ years of track experience, have been instructing for the last 7, completed comp school, etc. On top of that, I learned to drive on the track in car with no nannies except for rudimentary ABS.

Totally agree that a novice and intermediate student should leave the nannies on though. New track drivers would be well served to learn in an e30/miata or similar. These newer cars are great, but they speed up/skip over parts of the learning curve.
Appreciate 0