THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Good Deal on Active Autowerke Intercooler from X-PH

12-26-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Good Deal on Active Autowerke Intercooler from X-PH

Just spoke with Mike @ Extreme Power House. Not sure what the MSRP is they say $699 vs AA's website $549, but regardless I just ordered a silver one (they have black too) for $404, free shipping and no tax where I am. The Dinan one doesn't work with an F23, and the Active Autowerke was suggested by my performance guru Matt Bean at Thomson.

So if anyone's got Christmas cash burning a hole in their pocket, not a bad time to get an intercooler.

https://www.x-ph.com/active-autowerk...r-n20-n26-n55/

Won't have a review for a few weeks, will have it installed when car goes in for 20K service.
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      12-28-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just added the VRSF charge pipe to the order as well, best option for an xDrive convertible. X-PH guys were super helpful and for under $200 seemed silly not to do both while the car was apart.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 01:02 PM   #3
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 EBII M235i

Yes...don't be like me and do the charge pipe before the intercooler (which I won't have for a bit and am okay with).
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadOzodi View Post
Yes...don't be like me and do the charge pipe before the intercooler (which I won't have for a bit and am okay with).
Just seemed to make a lot more sense to do both at once, especially since you need to do IC to do CP based on DIY I've seen. Nothing lost going your route other than some time though.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Aye, on both.

I tried my best to install my CP without dropping the stock IC, but that was just a waste of time.

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Aye, on both.

I tried my best to install my CP without dropping the stock IC, but that was just a waste of time.

The videos I have seen aren't great - will I be ok doing it myself in the garage with Rhino Ramps? The charge pipe from what I can tell looks basically the same as doing the intake (which I have already done) - just in a less accessible area. Figure what an hour to do both?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 09:43 AM   #7
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
The videos I have seen aren't great - will I be ok doing it myself in the garage with Rhino Ramps? The charge pipe from what I can tell looks basically the same as doing the intake (which I have already done) - just in a less accessible area. Figure what an hour to do both?
Yeah, it should be doable on Rhino Ramps, just a bit of a tight squeeze to drop the IC. I haven't swapped my intake, but I've removed it and reinstalled it; it's the same concept, just a larger PITA.

I went the 2-pc CP route...if you went 1-pc CP, I'd say prepare yourself for some serious frustration.

Also, I'd play it safe...give yourself at least a good 2 hours from the time you start your car to roll it up on the ramps to rolling the car off the ramps.

YMMV, but I'm meticulous as all OCD out.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 12:18 PM   #8
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, it should be doable on Rhino Ramps, just a bit of a tight squeeze to drop the IC. I haven't swapped my intake, but I've removed it and reinstalled it; it's the same concept, just a larger PITA.

I went the 2-pc CP route...if you went 1-pc CP, I'd say prepare yourself for some serious frustration.

Also, I'd play it safe...give yourself at least a good 2 hours from the time you start your car to roll it up on the ramps to rolling the car off the ramps.

YMMV, but I'm meticulous as all OCD out.
2-PC here, only one that would work with the xDrive Automatic and play nice with the intercooler I chose, which was dictated by convertible. So I basically got the only IC that would work along with the only CP that would work.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Would you mind sharing the links to the videos and whatever DIYs you found?

I'll be tackling the IC install myself this coming month and want to make sure I'm prepared.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 02:17 PM   #10
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxp213 View Post
Quote:
Would you mind sharing the links to the videos and whatever DIYs you found?

I'll be tackling the IC install myself this coming month and want to make sure I'm prepared.
Unfortunately the videos aren't great especially IC. A lot of "here's what I'm going to do but you won't really be able to see." CP actually covers both but again less than ideal.

At least you'll have some idea and not go in totally blind. I'm going to ask my guy if it's under an hour of labor at the shop I'm going to have him do it. By the time I buy ramps or jack stands it would be an extra $50 to have him do it, and no risk of breaking shit and spending more $ along the way.

Based on the videos a pro with a lift could 100% do this in an hour. Unless of course "official BMW" procedure involves pulling the bumper or something. They often prescribe the long hard way of doing stuff vs the quick smart way.

Here's IC:

And CP:

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #11
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, I saw that video and there's another video that's really long but that's just as bad. I was hoping you ran into some that maybe I hadn't seen. Honestly, I don't think the installation will be that bad if you're mechanically inclined.

If and when you do yours yourself, would you mind taking some pics along the way or maybe do a video?

Also, any particular reason why you chose to go with AA IC instead of other brands? I mean other than price, because I see they've got a EOY sale going on.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2017, 03:38 PM   #12
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, I saw that video and there's another video that's really long but that's just as bad. I was hoping you ran into some that maybe I hadn't seen. Honestly, I don't think the installation will be that bad if you're mechanically inclined.

If and when you do yours yourself, would you mind taking some pics along the way or maybe do a video?

Also, any particular reason why you chose to go with AA IC instead of other brands? I mean other than price, because I see they've got a EOY sale going on.
Well I would have gone Dinan but it wouldn't work on my car. Matt Bean at Thomson suggested Active Autowerke - and I basically do what he suggests at this point.

Beyond that getting it for $400 was a nice bonus. Then from there the only CP options I had were ER or VRSF, and VRSF according to Mike @ X-PH works better w the intercooler I chose. And the CP is a tube, not the most complicated thing in the world. So fits + good price = all I needed to know.

For pics I'll try and if I have Matt do it (leaning that way) I'll see if he will let me take photos along the way.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #13
MadOzodi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Make sure you wear eye-pro. You always should anyway, but I'm guilty of leaving it off when getting under the car. When I dropped my IC, I could've used a face shield there was so much crap that fell from the "seams".
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 01:59 PM   #14
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Active Intercoolers back in stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 03:44 PM   #15
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Unfortunately the videos aren't great especially IC. A lot of "here's what I'm going to do but you won't really be able to see." CP actually covers both but again less than ideal.

At least you'll have some idea and not go in totally blind. I'm going to ask my guy if it's under an hour of labor at the shop I'm going to have him do it. By the time I buy ramps or jack stands it would be an extra $50 to have him do it, and no risk of breaking shit and spending more $ along the way.

Based on the videos a pro with a lift could 100% do this in an hour. Unless of course "official BMW" procedure involves pulling the bumper or something. They often prescribe the long hard way of doing stuff vs the quick smart way.

Here's IC:

And CP:

I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have the tools but I'm hesitant to order an FMIC and CP to do the job solo in my garage. I'm sure I could figure it all out once I'm under the car but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into prior to actually getting into it. Has anyone come across any better DIY vids of the installation process? I really want to get this done but a local shops quoted me $500 and $540 for labor which I think is too much in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 04:27 PM   #16
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I'm pretty mechanically inclined and have the tools but I'm hesitant to order an FMIC and CP to do the job solo in my garage. I'm sure I could figure it all out once I'm under the car but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm getting into prior to actually getting into it. Has anyone come across any better DIY vids of the installation process? I really want to get this done but a local shops quoted me $500 and $540 for labor which I think is too much in my opinion.
Yeah, way too damn much for a simple install -- I wouldn't pay anyone even half that for an intercooler install.

It's fairly straight forward, so if you're mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have any issues. Nothing is difficult about it at all, and the hardest/most time consuming part is jiggling things about for the components to line up properly. Just avoid the IC that requires you to pull the bumper since that brace isn't necessary at all and just wastes your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2018, 05:46 PM   #17
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, way too damn much for a simple install -- I wouldn't pay anyone even half that for an intercooler install.

It's fairly straight forward, so if you're mechanically inclined, you shouldn't have any issues. Nothing is difficult about it at all, and the hardest/most time consuming part is jiggling things about for the components to line up properly. Just avoid the IC that requires you to pull the bumper since that brace isn't necessary at all and just wastes your time.
I remember reading about that months back. Was it the CSF? I'm leaning toward the VRSF since it's cheap. I can get the FMIC and CP for the price of some other brand FMIC's.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2018, 03:20 PM   #18
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
I remember reading about that months back. Was it the CSF? I'm leaning toward the VRSF since it's cheap. I can get the FMIC and CP for the price of some other brand FMIC's.
VRSF is very popular and a great performer, especially for the cost. Highly recommend.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
No, CSF doesn't require or have braces at the top. It's the ER IC that has them. Given that no other brands have a top brace, I'm guessing that you can even skip using the brace on the ER but I could be wrong.

I'd also point you to a CSF thread where fitment on those ICs were discussed but it's been deleted because someone didn't like real-life reviews, lol.
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      12-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #20
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
No, CSF doesn't require or have braces at the top. It's the ER IC that has them. Given that no other brands have a top brace, I'm guessing that you can even skip using the brace on the ER but I could be wrong.

I'd also point you to a CSF thread where fitment on those ICs were discussed but it's been deleted because someone didn't like real-life reviews, lol.
Are you using CSF? If so, how do you like it?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #21
cxp213
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you using CSF? If so, how do you like it?
I like it a lot and I think it looks great. I can't really comment on direct comparisons to other ICs as I don't have any others available to accurately compare, but the drop in IAT is certainly noticeable, particularly over longer period of time.

The fitment, however, leaves a lot to be desired. I was one of the first to install the CSF IC and ran into fitment issues at the chargepipe end. The outlet angle/length seems to be just slightly off that the VRSF CP couldn't be installed. I ended up shortening the CP by ½" to make clearance -- not sure if this was ever addressed, but I know I'm not the only one that ran into fitment issues. Then there was the fact that the CSF doesn't get secured into place using factory screws holding the OE IC. I ended up buying extra large washers, bending it, and using that to hold up the IC (it only slots into place so the washer is required). I posted about it and now CSF includes similarly bent washers with the IC, lol.
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      12-21-2018, 11:48 AM   #22
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I like it a lot and I think it looks great. I can't really comment on direct comparisons to other ICs as I don't have any others available to accurately compare, but the drop in IAT is certainly noticeable, particularly over longer period of time.

The fitment, however, leaves a lot to be desired. I was one of the first to install the CSF IC and ran into fitment issues at the chargepipe end. The outlet angle/length seems to be just slightly off that the VRSF CP couldn't be installed. I ended up shortening the CP by ½" to make clearance -- not sure if this was ever addressed, but I know I'm not the only one that ran into fitment issues. Then there was the fact that the CSF doesn't get secured into place using factory screws holding the OE IC. I ended up buying extra large washers, bending it, and using that to hold up the IC (it only slots into place so the washer is required). I posted about it and now CSF includes similarly bent washers with the IC, lol.
Yeah, I remember reading about this issue with some guys and other brand CP's not fitting correctly on the CSF. That's one of the reasons I was leaning toward VRSF FMIC and their CP as well so fitment wouldn't be an issue. Still up in the air at the moment but will get it done soon. Thanks for the feedback!
Appreciate 0