THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Throttle lag

12-10-2017, 10:57 AM   #45
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayscott View Post
Ok, thanks. I was hesitant, retired here and I don't want any $$$issues down the road. If I decide to do this install should I mention this to my BMW dealer as I have a friend who owns a business, works only on Eureopean cars and is Dinan certified so he will do the install. He assured me that BMW/Dinan would cover any issues with a Dinan install. He has never had any major issues with a stage 1 Dinan tuner. And the dealer has been very good to me as I have 2 BMW's. It looks like it is easy to remove in case any issues do come up.
The first thing I noticed w/ my M240i after the install..Starting the car and pulling away, i have zero hesitation in comfort mode like I did prior. I did a number of dead stop starts on the way home just to see if I was imagining things and I was pleasantly surprised I was not.

The car is very fast w/ the tune. I find myself rarely going to "Sport Mode" as I get more than enough power in comfort mode. If I want to spice things up a bit, I move just the shifter to the m/s position for more aggressive shift points and more engine braking.

In sport mode w/ shift lever to the m/s, the car is a beast.

I'm still getting 26.X MPG in town with it. I couldn't be happier considering the car can run w/ the big boys should I choose to, I may not win, but I'll be right on their tail.

One last thing, I find I still have some hesitation if I do not come to a complete stop. Like pausing as you roll up to an intersection before going, there is a hesitation. But again, that's a rare instance...dead stops are perfect.

Last edited by USA-RET; 12-10-2017 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2017, 02:33 PM   #46
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 STi - IAG Trojan

Quote:
What would a Dina Stage 1 tuner do to my 2016 228ix. I like the fact that it corrects turbo lag but what about overall performance. I read 46hp increase from the Dinan website. Does that sound about right.
I have absolutely no hesitation on mine at all, in terms of when in Sport/+, not sure about comfort as the only time I put it in that mode is late at night when I pull down my street going about 10MPH.

This car blew my hair back (I have none) as stock, but with all the mods I have added have really taken it to a very noticeable level on craziness, which is what's most desired by me cause I am a child, ....

BTW, had an email exchange with Nathan at Dinan this week on what to expect down the line, this is a COPY/PASTE:
///////////////////
MY QUESTION:
- PS - any idea when we will see the Stage [2,3,4] CAI, Intercooler, turbo?

HIS RESPONSE:
Stage 2 / Intake will be Q1 2018.
Stage 3 / Intercooler most likely will never come to be since the factory intercooler is built into the intake manifold. If stage 3 does manage to come to light it will be in the form of a heat exchanger most likely.
Stage 4 / turbo is being worked on but WAY early in development.
///////////////////

Last edited by nikman011; 12-10-2017 at 02:34 PM.. Reason: grammar corrections
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2017, 03:23 PM   #47
Rayscott
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 228ix

I talked to a guy at Turner Motorsport who I know and he assured me that the Stage 1 would eliminate turbo lag and increase hp to 311. Also, no warranty issues installing Dinan. Think I might take the plunge. Th 228ix is quick but I just want a little additional kick.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 06:58 AM   #48
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Just drove into work this morning on Econ mode, .... holy crap that is slow, BUT, I did not notice any throttle lag at all, the vehicle is just slower, in terms of instantaneous velocity. The car still drives well though.
      12-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #49
Rayscott
Major
Rep

I hate econ mode. I drive mostly in Sport. Comfort/Sport on long drives. I didn't buy the car to save on gas.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2017, 12:59 PM   #50
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I hate econ mode. I drive mostly in Sport. Comfort/Sport on long drives. I didn't buy the car to save on gas.
I only did it this morning to see what is was like, to see if I could control myself for the duration of my very long commute of 4 miles to work. I only drive Sport/+, and occasionally Comfort when driving down my street late at night.
      12-14-2017, 09:01 AM   #51
Rayscott
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikman011 View Post
I only did it this morning to see what is was like, to see if I could control myself for the duration of my very long commute of 4 miles to work. I only drive Sport/+, and occasionally Comfort when driving down my street late at night.
How long did you last in Eco.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 10:32 AM   #52
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Eco = snowmode only.

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 10:53 AM   #53
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Eco = snowmode only.

About 4 inches dropped last night, still Snowing this morning, 26 degree, people driving 40mph on the parkway, then me driving AROUND them doing about 65-70, ... in sport mode.

Quote:
I kept it on the entire trip, ....... the whole way. One thing I i discovered is that in the end this car still drives extremely well no matter what mode it is in, just not always like a race car, but feels great, feels like I have a REAL machine under my seat!
      10-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #54
aacocella1
Rep
Drives: E46

2 Guys Garage did a review on a Sprint Booster V3 that's suppose to improve throttle response.

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2018, 08:13 PM   #55
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

I tried multiple product over the year to clear the throttle lag on multiple BMW and never was satisfied. I tried (and am currently running) a BMW Pedal Tuner which to my knowledge, research and comparing product should be a rebranded DTE System Throttle tuner. Works great and use it mostly in the lowest mode and it helped a lot. Not always perfect but makes the throttle more enjoyable in 90% occasion especially in comfort mode. I did not like the Sprint Booster which would cause some inconsistencies and some jerkyness in the past. I know this booster just modulate the throttle signal to simulate a more agressive press but made daily driving more enjoyable to me which was the buying factor
      11-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #56
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Eco = snowmode only.

About 4 inches dropped last night, still Snowing this morning, 26 degree, people driving 40mph on the parkway, then me driving AROUND them doing about 65-70, ... in sport mode.

Quote:
I kept it on the entire trip, ....... the whole way. One thing I i discovered is that in the end this car still drives extremely well no matter what mode it is in, just not always like a race car, but feels great, feels like I have a REAL machine under my seat!
Interesting to see how many people are so opposed to eco mode. I absolutely agree this car was not meant to be driven in eco mode. I do however find it to be very smooth, and a good way to start my drive while waiting for the engine to warm up. Without the tune it felt like my car was choking to death in eco. With the elite tune it's just the right amount of power for a smooth acceleration in traffic during my very short commute to and from work.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 06:46 PM   #57
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Interesting to see how many people are so opposed to eco mode. I absolutely agree this car was not meant to be driven in eco mode. I do however find it to be very smooth, and a good way to start my drive while waiting for the engine to warm up. Without the tune it felt like my car was choking to death in eco. With the elite tune it's just the right amount of power for a smooth acceleration in traffic during my very short commute to and from work.
Good to know - thanks for sharing your experience, especially in the context of your tune!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2018, 09:22 PM   #58
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
For me now, nothing but Sport+, shifter to the left, and paddle action, except when I am in zombie mode, then all the same sans paddles. In the morning I warm up my car before I leave, then drive like a total assh0le for my entire 8 minute commute
      11-08-2018, 07:57 AM   #59
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
For me now, nothing but Sport+, shifter to the left, and paddle action, except when I am in zombie mode, then all the same sans paddles. In the morning I warm up my car before I leave, then drive like a total assh0le for my entire 8 minute commute
Warm up before you leave ... as in letting it standing there an idle? Worst thing you can do to a car
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 08:01 AM   #60
nikman011
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Quote:
Warm up before you leave ... as in letting it standing there an idle? Worst thing you can do to a car
Oh, .... geez, ..... should I just do a Barney rubble, ...... there's nothing wrong with turning your car on, hitting the heat, seat warmer, steering wheel, plugging in your phone, .... lol, ..... this ain't the 70's anymore, warming up doesn't mean more than 2 minutes, ....... then shift that Fu((R into Sport+, and punch it!
      11-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #61
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Yes it isn't the 70s anymore aka "warming up a car" is only needed for your personal comfort it doesn't do the car any good
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 11:33 AM   #62
aacocella1
Rep
Drives: E46

I've heard Pedal Commander isn't to great. Weapon R has some good reviews but i believe its cheaper quality. I use a Sprint Booster because i know a BMW mechanic and he recommended it. Got mine during a sale on SprintBoosterSales.com
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 12:44 PM   #63
Cabrio330
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i F23

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Yes it isn't the 70s anymore aka "warming up a car" is only needed for your personal comfort it doesn't do the car any good
True, although it is wise to allow the engine to warm up while driving before pushing the RPMs. Which is why I miss having an oil temperature gauge in my M240i.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 01:06 PM   #64
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio330 View Post
True, although it is wise to allow the engine to warm up while driving before pushing the RPMs. Which is why I miss having an oil temperature gauge in my M240i.
While a gauge would be ideal, post #5 in this thread shows you how to put the oil temperature in your display: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1498969
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2018, 03:48 PM   #65
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
While a gauge would be ideal, post #5 in this thread shows you how to put the oil temperature in your display: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1498969
The Newer model with the ''Semi-Digital'' dash now includes an option to see oil temperature as one of the info you can see. I have a 230i (2018 LCI ''Refresh'') and they include it and seen those dash in 2018+ M240 as well. It's nice to have those back.
      12-08-2018, 11:12 PM   #66
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain underpants View Post
Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear it's not just my 2 series then. I can probably live with it and I mostly mix my drive settings anyway but this would Definately put me off getting another BMW. Does the M2 have this issue too I wonder.
If you run an obd2 to see the throttle pos sensor you will find that curve is very slow in eco and progressively gets sharper as you advance through the modes. For example, in eco mode you need to apply nearly 70% physically to electronically equate to 50% throttle position. The Dinan tune doesn't change the position, but does improve the power available at all throttle inputs making the car feel more responsive and quicker even in eco mode. Honestly I felt eco mode was basically unusable before the tune, and now I prefer to use eco mode when driving around town in traffic.
Appreciate 0