THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum M Steering Wheel

10-04-2020, 10:46 AM   #1
R9T
Rep
Drives: 230 convertible

M Steering Wheel

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My wife has a 230 X-Drive convertible. I talked her into trading it for an M240, losing the all-wheel drive in favor of a manual trans (and all the other perks of the car). This was my most efficient route in the direction of an M2.

We tried an M240 coupe in dealer stock. Incredible car with a terrible steering wheel. Rough, spongy, thick. Like 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1970's nerf toy. A lightly used M on the lot had the same wheel that also looked awful -- smooth and lacking any texture. Apparently from 30K miles of use. Shiny like an old pickup's plastic wheel shiny, only spongy.

The salesperson was shocked that anyone wouldn't like the "M Wheel" and probably thought we were nuts. You might think that. The wheel might be well-suited to a track day and driving gloves. But most of the time this car's about enjoying the countryside. For that, the red-stitched 230's wheel rim looks nicer and seems superior.

BMW uses this rim design extensively. Do many owners like it for all-purpose driving? Is it an acquired taste? Can it be swapped or rewrapped?
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 10:49 AM   #2
swc5150
Private
Rep
Drives: Panamera Turbo

Perhaps the dealer used ArmorAll on it, as it shouldn’t be shiny? Saddle soap will remove that crap and make it supple again. For me, it’s the best wheel hands down I’ve ever had.
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
elliswyatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 6MT, 2016 Mk7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by R9T View Post
My wife has a 230 X-Drive convertible. I talked her into trading it for an M240, losing the all-wheel drive in favor of a manual trans (and all the other perks of the car). This was my most efficient route in the direction of an M2.

We tried an M240 coupe in dealer stock. Incredible car with a terrible steering wheel. Rough, spongy, thick. Like 1000 grit sandpaper wrapped around a 1970's nerf toy. A lightly used M on the lot had the same wheel that also looked awful -- smooth and lacking any texture. Apparently from 30K miles of use. Shiny like an old pickup's plastic wheel shiny, only spongy.

The salesperson was shocked that anyone wouldn't like the "M Wheel" and probably thought we were nuts. You might think that. The wheel might be well-suited to a track day and driving gloves. But most of the time this car's about enjoying the countryside. For that, the red-stitched 230's wheel rim looks nicer and seems superior.

BMW uses this rim design extensively. Do many owners like it for all-purpose driving? Is it an acquired taste? Can it be swapped or rewrapped?
That sounds nothing like the wheel on my M240i. It may be a bit on the thick side but in no way is it spongy or rough like sandpaper.
      10-04-2020, 02:48 PM   #4
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliswyatt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by R9T View Post

That sounds nothing like the wheel on my M240i. It may be a bit on the thick side but in no way is it spongy or rough like sandpaper.
Disagree.

The M wheel is quite thick, and after driving another make it becomes apparent. I drove a Lexus IS F Sport the other day and getting back into my M240i, the thick wheel was surprising. I like the thickness on my M240i but wouldn't want it thicker. I drove a G30 530i and the wheels was what I'd say is too thick for my preferences.

Is squishy and maybe "spongy" but I like it that way, personally. Feels luxurious when the alternative is hard and unpadded.

The texture on a brand new wheel is gritty. You can hear it when you slide your hands over it. That texture is what makes the leather so matte. As the wheel wears, it becomes smoother and eventually settles at a slightly reflective satin finish instead of the new matte finish. If you let hand oils build up, it becomes shiny/glossy like OP saw on the 30k mile car.
      10-04-2020, 03:24 PM   #5
elliswyatt
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M240i 6MT, 2016 Mk7 GTI

Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said the wheel was on the thick side. Rough like sandpaper? No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Disagree.

The M wheel is quite thick, and after driving another make it becomes apparent. I drove a Lexus IS F Sport the other day and getting back into my M240i, the thick wheel was surprising. I like the thickness on my M240i but wouldn't want it thicker. I drove a G30 530i and the wheels was what I'd say is too thick for my preferences.

Is squishy and maybe "spongy" but I like it that way, personally. Feels luxurious when the alternative is hard and unpadded.

The texture on a brand new wheel is gritty. You can hear it when you slide your hands over it. That texture is what makes the leather so matte. As the wheel wears, it becomes smoother and eventually settles at a slightly reflective satin finish instead of the new matte finish. If you let hand oils build up, it becomes shiny/glossy like OP saw on the 30k mile car.
      10-04-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliswyatt View Post
Not sure what you're disagreeing with. I said the wheel was on the thick side. Rough like sandpaper? No.

Quote:
Disagree.

It was definitely rough like sandpaper for the first 500-1000 miles of the steering wheel's life. It smooths out as the top coating wears off.
      10-04-2020, 04:02 PM   #7
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
If you let hand oils build up, it becomes shiny/glossy like OP saw on the 30k mile car.
I like the cover of my steering wheel the way it came when new. Bionic driving gloves ensure that it still looks and feels like new, even though I'd have to take the gloves off to know for sure!

https://www.bionicgloves.com/Bionic-...2=3&custcol3=1
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 06:37 PM   #8
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Get the M Performance steering wheel. Problem solved.

https://ind-distribution.com/collect...steering-wheel
Appreciate 0