THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Conti DWS06 > Mich Pilot AS3+

01-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #23
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
That has certainly not been my experience. I put a staggered set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ on my 2018 M240xi ragtop last Sept and have not found them any louder than the any of the OEM tires which came with any of my previous 5 BMWs.
I've been pleased with the improved ride that these MPS A/S 3+ provide.
Because you're comparing them to the crappy OEM tires that came with the car. I promise you, the DWS06's are WAY quieter running tires. As mentioned, my previous two sets on my E92 were DWS06 and my Z3 prior to that I had the original DWS. Both tires were much more quiet than the AS3+. Trust me, I wanted to like these Michelin's and that's why I made the change from Continental and spent the extra money, but now I'm regretting it. The Mich do handle well for an A/S in the dry and decent in the wet, but once the road gets a little glazed, it's game over.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2019, 10:50 AM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I promise you, the DWS06's are WAY quieter running tires.
From my experience, I agree with you completely. I had both the DWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 on two cars simultaneously and, allowing for the car, itself, it was very clear that the DWS06 are quieter. It is the very softness that helps create that, as well as improved slippery weather traction. However, it is also that softness that, for me, made the DWS06 feel more tilted to "luxury" than "performance", also borne out by the numbers, so I did not want it for my 2 Series...but it was fine on the Audi A6. Pick your preferences and you'll know your tire choice.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      01-08-2019, 10:57 AM   #25
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
From my experience, I agree with you completely. I had both the DWS06 and Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 on two cars simultaneously and, allowing for the car, itself, it was very clear that the DWS06 are quieter. It is the very softness that helps create that, as well as improved slippery weather traction. However, it is also that softness that, for me, made the DWS06 feel more tilted to "luxury" than "performance", also borne out by the numbers, so I did not want it for my 2 Series...but it was fine on the Audi A6. Pick your preferences and you'll know your tire choice.
Yeah, I eventually went with Conti's exclusively because of the fact that we are in the 20-30's for 5 months of the year and it rains for 6-7 months and feel they are a good compromise of quietness, handling, cold weather capability, and price. The AS3+ are definitely better responding tires in the dry but I'm willing to sacrifice that for the quietness and cold weather handling of the Conti. I grew up in Honolulu where I ran UHP's year 'round and never had to worry about winter tires, but at least now I have a reason to burn through the AS3+ as quick as possible
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 03:14 AM   #26
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Contis are incredibly quiet, they have relatively soft tread/sidewall i think. The wet and snow traction are amazing, the only downside for me was that steering felt a bit soft, but i was overall incredibly happy with them. I can honestly say if i was running a car that i wanted good daily drivability and a good all season tire, conti dws all day every day.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 11:53 AM   #27
DSTR
Captain
Rep
Drives: 22 M240iX / 23 M2 Tor-Red

Winter conditions also equal temperature not moisture - frost, snow, ice.
If you drive on cold days 7C or less you need winter tires. The research is sound on that equipment being superior to 'all season'. They are not a good choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:01 PM   #28
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
If you drive on cold days 7C or less you need winter tires. The research is sound on that equipment being superior to 'all season'. They are not a good choice.
I've never had issues in the past 10 years down to 28-30 degrees with Conti DWS and DWS06. It's only now with these Michelin AS3+ that I feel uneasy once it dips around 32.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #29
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTR View Post
I disagree assuming we're talking winter performance tires vs DWS06 and in temps above 20 degrees F (-7 C).

I've owned both on performance cars and have driven on both of them for multiple Kansas City winters which range from single digits (rare) to 20 degrees to 50 degrees (very common) and light snow (3 inch or less snow events most common) and slush.

I've got 225/40R18 Michelin Aplin PA4 on my M235 and this is my third winter running them. Yes, they do stay more pliable in the extreme cold and have better wet and snow traction in freezing temps than the DWS06. HOWEVER, on dry pavement and 20+ degree F temps, their emergency handling grip is not near as good as the DWS06. Braking distances are MUCH longer as they engage the ABS system very quickly. Cornering grip a bit lower too. Given the choice, I want the tire that stops faster and corners harder for the more common conditions I face and NOT the worst case scenario. Steering feel is lighter with the PA4s and quite a bit less direct once temps go above 40. In 50+ temps, they are absolute mush and wear very quickly.

I really thought I needed winter performance tires for my M235 given it's RWD and pretty torquey, but after three winters in the M235, I know the DWS06s would work for the more common winter conditions I face plus they handle better and look better too.

DWS06s will last longer too. I'll be lucky to get 15K miles out of my PA4s. The DWS06s I ran on my WRX still showed the "S" on the DWS after 15K miles indicating they still had solid snow traction.

The DWS06 is specifically designed for more snow traction. It's basically like a light duty winter performance tire. It's tread is designed to remain more pliable in the cold and more abundant sipping greatly improves snow traction. It is far different from the more common all season performance tires on the market. I would agree that most of those suck in the cold and snow. I've been there and owned many of them. DWS06 is like none of them. I would have put them on my wife's Outback 3.6R if they made them in correct size.
      01-10-2019, 01:05 PM   #30
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I disagree assuming we're talking winter performance tires vs DWS06 and in temps above 20 degrees F (-7 C).

I've owned both on performance cars and have driven on both of them for multiple Kansas City winters which range from single digits (rare) to 20 degrees to 50 degrees (very common) and light snow (3 inch or less snow events most common) and slush.

I've got 225/40R18 Michelin Aplin PA4 on my M235 and this is my third winter running them. Yes, they do stay more pliable in the extreme cold and have better wet and snow traction in freezing temps than the DWS06. HOWEVER, on dry pavement and 20+ degree F temps, their emergency handling grip is not near as good as the DWS06. Braking distances are MUCH longer as they engage the ABS system very quickly. Cornering grip a bit lower too. Given the choice, I want the tire that stops faster and corners harder for the more common conditions I face and NOT the worst case scenario. Steering feel is lighter with the PA4s and quite a bit less direct once temps go above 40. In 50+ temps, they are absolute mush and wear very quickly.

I really thought I needed winter performance tires for my M235 given it's RWD and pretty torquey, but after three winters in the M235, I know the DWS06s would work for the more common winter conditions I face plus they handle better and look better too.

DWS06s will last longer too. I'll be lucky to get 15K miles out of my PA4s. The DWS06s I ran on my WRX still showed the "S" on the DWS after 15K miles indicating they still had solid snow traction.

The DWS06 is specifically designed for more snow traction. It's basically like a light duty winter performance tire. It's tread is designed to remain more pliable in the cold and more abundant sipping greatly improves snow traction. It is far different from the more common all season performance tires on the market. I would agree that most of those suck in the cold and snow. I've been there and owned many of them. DWS06 is like none of them. I would have put them on my wife's Outback 3.6R if they made them in correct size.
Totally agree as the DWS06's are great in the NW 20-30 degree weather. For 6 months of the year, temps are below 45 degrees so the DWS06 is definitely a no-brainer for those who don't want to swap out every season. Anyone who thinks the AS3+ are better haven't had DWS06 in 30 degrees. There is a stark contrast in performance between the two. Not to mention how damn loud the Michelin's are!! Irritatingly loud!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2019, 04:47 PM   #31
zipstic
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335xi

Garage List
2008 335xi Coupe  [10.00]
I see that Tirerack gives decent ratings for winter traction for the Michelin, but when you look at the tread patterns one of them is clearly going to perform better than the other in the winter. The middle "crosshatching" section on the Conti's is going to give superior grip.

Michelin AS3+

Conti's DWS 06

01-13-2019, 08:17 PM   #32
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Although I live in central Florida and don't ever intend to drive in snow, I replaced my OEM PSS w/ the A/S 3+ in order to have the broader temperature tolerance for when it gets "cold" here and when I take a trip north and encounter actual cold weather. I was willing to trade the better grip of the PSS or PS4 for more versatility.
I'm happy with how the A/S 3+ feel and handle, but very disappointed with how NOISY they are.
I have a set of DWS06 on my wife's MK6 GTI and they are MUCH QUIETER, but, they do feel "softer" than the A/S 3+.
I'm not sure what I'm going to get when these wear out...
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:16 PM   #33
DMB228
Rep
Drives: 228xi

I actually chose Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS over both of these...couldn't be happier.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:17 PM   #34
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB228 View Post
I actually chose Bridgestone Potenza RE980AS over both of these...couldn't be happier.
I dumped my Bridgestone's because I blew out two sidewalls in 6 months lol
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 01:30 PM   #35
DMB228
Rep
Drives: 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwntime View Post
I dumped my Bridgestone's because I blew out two sidewalls in 6 months lol
I read a lot of reviews and never saw anyone mention that LOL..That was the one thing I was trying to avoid coming form the garbage OEM Pirelli run-flats...obviously it can happen on any tire so I'll hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #36
Dylan86
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15d msport, F22 m235i

From my experience, the AS3 and AS3+ is a discount performance warm weather tire. It is 100% a 3 season tire.

If it doesn't have a snowflake on the sidewall, don't use it in the winter and expect performance.

A dedicated spring/summer/fall tire is a great place for an AS3+, and a dedicated winter tire is one with a snowflake, which would be designed for temps below the range of the AS3+ and alike "all seasons"

But if you feel the need for a 12 month tire, you'll never have one that does it all (and well), unfortunately..
      01-19-2019, 07:52 AM   #37
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
The DWS06 is specifically designed for more snow traction.
Does the DWS06 have the snowflake symbol on the sidewall?

Last edited by dradernh; 01-19-2019 at 07:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:04 AM   #38
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I've got a 7 PM dinner reservation this evening, and am very glad I'll be rolling on new Nokian Hakkapeliitta R3s.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:17 AM   #39
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Does the DWS06 have the snowflake symbol on the sidewall?
No.

This first quote is from the Continental website. Even with the marketing-speak, note they felt compelled to modify "snow" with a preceding "light" as do all producers of UHPAS tires.

The second is from tirerack.com. Of course the most important information is the conclusion.
Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 08:19 AM   #40
Sportstick
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
From my experience, the AS3 and AS3+ is a discount performance warm weather tire. It is 100% a 3 season tire.

If it doesn't have a snowflake on the sidewall, don't use it in the winter and expect performance.

A dedicated spring/summer/fall tire is a great place for an AS3+, and a dedicated winter tire is one with a snowflake, which would be designed for temps below the range of the AS3+ and alike "all seasons"

But if you feel the need for a 12 month tire, you'll never have one that does it all (and well), unfortunately..
Agree with most of this but never experienced or considered anything from Michelin as a "discount" tire. The brand and pricing are not positioned as such. That terminology for me goes along with Nexen and such. All UHPAS are truly 3 season tires, unless your winter is no more than an occasional dusting.

Last edited by Sportstick; 01-19-2019 at 08:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
Dylan861330.00
      01-19-2019, 11:24 AM   #41
montegoblue_e92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i xDrive

Garage List
I would like to chime in here and say that I've been very happy with the DWS06s on my xDrive e92, they are much better than the all-season Hankooks that the previous owner put on the car.

I ended up getting caught in the November snowstorm that NJ was not prepared for, and the car went through a couple inches of snow on the NJ Turnpike just fine. People were getting stuck left and right! I would have much rather had winter tires on for that incident, but the truth is I never expected to be on the road with that much snow.

If you guys are wondering why I'm here...I'm interested in a 2 series for my next car so I've been starting to lurk this forum
Appreciate 1
hwntime270.00
      01-19-2019, 04:25 PM   #42
Black Sunshine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 F23

Garage List
2015 F23  [0.00]
I’ve had the DWS06 on both a former daily, 02 Sentra se-r and my current Audi Q5. Both vehicles had wider than stock. Not that great in snow on the Sentra, but pretty decent on the Audi. I also had Blizzacks for both for true snow. No issues in cold weather. I have the AS3 on the 235i. I really like them even in the cold, but this car does not get driven in snow or ice. They are also much louder than the DWS. They are not luxury car quiet if someone is expecting that. I have driven them down at 11 Fahrenheit and they were very good in the dry.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2019, 09:02 PM   #43
petegtsv10
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i convertible

Remember that the AS3 is not the same as the AS3+. The plus was added as the newer tire was given increased snow capability over the AS3. Still, not a great tire in the snow, but better than its predecessor.
Appreciate 2
AndrewC198910910.50
Dylan861330.00
      01-19-2019, 09:50 PM   #44
hwntime
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by petegtsv10 View Post
Remember that the AS3 is not the same as the AS3+. The plus was added as the newer tire was given increased snow capability over the AS3. Still, not a great tire in the snow, but better than its predecessor.
I think everyone knows this. Look back at the first post in this thread. I came from DWS06, the upgrade to the DWS, and that was the basis of my comparison between the DWS06 and AS3+.
Appreciate 0