THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Paddle Shifter Swap?

01-11-2019, 05:55 PM   #1
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Paddle Shifter Swap?

I love my '17 M240Xi and have racked up 51,000 miles in 2 years. However, the look and feel of the paddle shifters seems a bit lacking to me. I would love to swap them out for something a bit more slender and a little longer. I understand that there are a few models that I can use OEM shifters from, but I would prefer not to spend OEM prices. I'm stowing away the fun money for a grail watch purchase. Anyone do a swap with aftermarket shifters that has been satisfied?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 08:26 AM   #2
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

This is a tough one.

The upgrade that seems to work best is the upgrade to M2 (maybe M3/4?) units because they are a direct fit. With this upgrade you get a more attractive paddle and a few millimeters additional length. Unfortunately they cost $550 for the set.
Part number: 61317847610

Another option is the afternarket. There’s a few companies that make paddle shifter replacements that are significantly longer, but these have drawbacks. First and foremost, they are too long and towards the ends of the paddles there’s too much resistance on the hinge to make them usable. I have heard rumors a few months back that a new model of paddle is being developed that solves this issue, but I can’t recall where I read it. Might have been on the F8x forum.

For what it’s worth, most of the M235iR racecars use the stock paddles.

Last edited by Sail Boat; 01-13-2019 at 08:34 AM..
Appreciate 2
DaleHeinz220.50
kyo787737.00
      01-13-2019, 04:59 PM   #3
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

I have these in all my cars, much better than stock and work perfectly.

https://autotecknic.com/collections/...10120469512234
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
B58togo808.50
      01-14-2019, 11:19 AM   #4
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I have these in all my cars, much better than stock and work perfectly.

https://autotecknic.com/collections/...10120469512234
They look awesome, and I've considered those, but was concerned about the length and usability of the top 1/3rd. Any issues with shifting on the top end of the paddle? As Sail Boat mentioned, the longer paddles may struggle at the hinge, or so people have reported.

Also, how was the instal? Looks fairly manageable in an hour or so. Price point is right where I was looking.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:13 PM   #5
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
They look awesome, and I've considered those, but was concerned about the length and usability of the top 1/3rd. Any issues with shifting on the top end of the paddle? As Sail Boat mentioned, the longer paddles may struggle at the hinge, or so people have reported.

Also, how was the instal? Looks fairly manageable in an hour or so. Price point is right where I was looking.
I have no problem using them along the full length, require a tiny bit more force at the tip but barely noticeable. In the "sweet spot" in the middle - same area stock paddles occupy - they are much better than stock and feel great.

There are even longer ones, and also some that stick on to your factory paddles. I test drove a car with those once, they are indeed crap. These though are better than stock in every way IMO.

Install is easy enough, as long as you are comfortable pulling your airbag. Going extra slow and careful an hour is probably very conservative, I'd budget 30 mins for a sport wheel and 45 for the luxury line wheel. I have done both, the luxury airbag is a BITCH to release. Lucky for us in the 2er the battery is easy to get to, when I did the F31 I had to take apart the entire trunk to access the battery then deal with the luxury airbag - 2 hours in total but still well worth it.
Appreciate 1
DaleHeinz220.50
      01-14-2019, 06:33 PM   #6
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post

I have no problem using them along the full length, require a tiny bit more force at the tip but barely noticeable. In the "sweet spot" in the middle - same area stock paddles occupy - they are much better than stock and feel great.

There are even longer ones, and also some that stick on to your factory paddles. I test drove a car with those once, they are indeed crap. These though are better than stock in every way IMO.

Install is easy enough, as long as you are comfortable pulling your airbag. Going extra slow and careful an hour is probably very conservative, I'd budget 30 mins for a sport wheel and 45 for the luxury line wheel. I have done both, the luxury airbag is a BITCH to release. Lucky for us in the 2er the battery is easy to get to, when I did the F31 I had to take apart the entire trunk to access the battery then deal with the luxury airbag - 2 hours in total but still well worth it.
Cool. Much appreciated. Shouldn't be too hard then. I removed the airbag once before to instal the dry CF steering wheel trim. Wasn't too bad. Though, I didn't notice how the paddles were affixed. I'm sure I can find a YouTube video. Was a few on trim panels and the steering wheel airbag I used.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2019, 12:27 AM   #7
ehjhey
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i XDrive

I would check these guys out. I'm planning to get them soon

*Edit* forums aren't letting me link them for some reason, but check out nelson racing wheel F-series shifter
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 05:41 PM   #8
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

Anybody here tried these paddles?

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-goldenwr.../gxxbps-b~gsc/

Was going to order a set of Autotecknic ones, but these look very similar at a better price point.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 09:24 AM   #9
MarcoZandrini
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Yeah, those padels woudl be great, but my M240i has a manual transmission!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 12:01 PM   #10
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcoZandrini View Post
Yeah, those padels woudl be great, but my M240i has a manual transmission!!
My last 3 BMWs (all 3s) were all xDrive 6MTs. When I decided to go with a 2 (because 3s keep getting bigger), I had to chose either xDrive or manual because they were not available together. I grew up with RWD cars and have no problem with them, but I really like the AWD here in the winter, and had been wanting to try a modern auto anyway as a bucket list thing so I went with that.

I'm sure I'll own a manual again, but right now I am enjoying something different. The ZF8HP is actually pretty impressive in its own right.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 06:16 PM   #11
B5toE92
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 14 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kernel Kurtz View Post

Was going to order a set of Autotecknic ones, but these look very similar at a better price point.
I almost bought those from ECS when i was buying some interior bits and mirrors from them.

But then I found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Alumi.../dp/B08QDVVXY9

I just ordered and will be installing on Friday; I’ll share pics.

*edit* I’ve been buying OEM for all my interior stuff but I don’t love the M4 paddles, and at the price I figure these are aluminum…can the really be bad? We’ll find out.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 12:10 AM   #12
ismaildoc36
Registered
Rep
Drives: F22 220i m-Sport

Quote:

I have dry carbon fiber like those. Easy install. took me about +-20mins. It pretty great.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2022, 04:44 PM   #13
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismaildoc36 View Post
I have dry carbon fiber like those. Easy install. took me about +-20mins. It pretty great.
Thanks. Have a set sitting here. Just waiting for warmer weather to install them.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 01:41 PM   #14
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Shift Paddles

Quote:

Hi Kernel: Did u end up going with the Carbonex aftermarket paddle shifters sold by ECS tuning or Turner Motorsport? Just curious how they perform, since I'm looking for something more cost effective than those from Autotecknic. In particular, I'm looking to improve upon not only the length of the paddle (i.e., longer for when turning or hands not in ideal 9-3 position), but also its reach (i.e., I have to make a conscience effort to be able to reach the OEM paddles with my fingers since they are set too far from the the steering wheel rim). Looks like Carbonex offers black (hopefully hi-gloss) replacement paddles for $135 USD with free shipping. Any thoughts/comments w/b most appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 04:58 PM   #15
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Indiana Jones View Post
Hi Kernel: Did u end up going with the Carbonex aftermarket paddle shifters sold by ECS tuning or Turner Motorsport? Just curious how they perform, since I'm looking for something more cost effective than those from Autotecknic. In particular, I'm looking to improve upon not only the length of the paddle (i.e., longer for when turning or hands not in ideal 9-3 position), but also its reach (i.e., I have to make a conscience effort to be able to reach the OEM paddles with my fingers since they are set too far from the the steering wheel rim). Looks like Carbonex offers black (hopefully hi-gloss) replacement paddles for $135 USD with free shipping. Any thoughts/comments w/b most appreciated.
Hey there. I got the exact ones in the link that you quoted from my previous post. They are definitely an improvement in that they are reachable from further than the 3 and 9 oclock positions. I don't think they sit any closer to the wheel though, and I don't know if you will find any that do as that may cause issues for people with bigger hands (or wearing gloves) being able to effectively move around the wheel without hitting them accidentally, which could be a safety issue.

No complaints about the quality for the price though. Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2022, 09:42 AM   #16
Dr. Indiana Jones
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M240i

Quote:
Hey there. I got the exact ones in the link that you quoted from my previous post. They are definitely an improvement in that they are reachable from further than the 3 and 9 oclock positions. I don't think they sit any closer to the wheel though, and I don't know if you will find any that do as that may cause issues for people with bigger hands (or wearing gloves) being able to effectively move around the wheel without hitting them accidentally, which could be a safety issue.

No complaints about the quality for the price though. Cheers!
Thx Kernel!
Appreciate 0