THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Intake & Stage 2 Tune

12-31-2018, 08:55 AM   #199
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Received a call today from my BMW/Dinan dealer. Options are:
1. Dinan will replace my .v1 w/ a .v2
2. I keep my current unit and cope w/ any future CELs.

I asked if the option for a new harness was offered. Was told "no". He surmised that Dinan would rather replace any .v1 w/ a .v2 rather than swap cables going forward. Could be Dinan isn't even going w/ a harness fix anymore, rather just replace the old unit w/ a newer .v2. Given the issues, it would make sense Dinan pull the .v1 and replace w/ the .v2 if only to eliminate any future warranty work.

My dealer mentioned that the new .v2 produces less HP (I think he meant torque), but was told Dinan adjusted the throttle mapping so I would likely not notice any real performance loss. Looking at the numbers comparing Dyno reports on both units, the number differences are not that huge (consider runs made on different cars on different days). Comparing base numbers between the two dyno runs, the report on the .v2 shows (381/401) a -14 in torque on the base run compared to the .v1 (369/415) , but higher HP numbers). End numbers .v1 (414/478) vs. (418/434) for the .v2. Additional runs could add torque back to the .V2 and lower its HP numbers.

Since I don't race, and don't drive the car hard, Dinan and dealers are likely correct that I won't notice any significant change in acceleration.

I told him to order the .v2 just so I won't worry about future CEL's. The Stage 2 when available will be probably mine too. Whether owning a .v1 or .v2 will not change Stage 2 functionality. Additionally, If I decide to stay w/ just a Stage 1, I shouldn't have an CEL issues going forward. Something I could not count on if I kept the .v1

I really like this car and was planning on keeping well beyond the warranty period (something I don't normally do). Main reason I decided to opt for the .v2.

I will report back after.v2 install w/ my impressions between the two.

Last edited by USA-RET; 01-01-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:00 AM   #200
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Anyone ever wonder just if or what a stage 2 could even offer?

If dinan had to dial back torque and\or hp due to certain cars not being able to handle it, how is there any room left for more gains in a stage 2?

Dinan_Engineering
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 10:14 AM   #201
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

My guess is that the car's original ECU programing is sensing something askew w/ the piggyback tunes. May not be a major error, but enough to throw a CEL.

Dialing back the piggyback eliminates that with the .v2.

If Dinan goes w/ a Stage 2, it will likely a flash tune (as any increase to the piggy-back tune would likely cause errors). Flashing the ECU would eliminate any mis-reads or errors since the ECU would be completely changed to the new mapping.

just guessing here, but I believe the B58 has plenty of upward "wiggle-room" for performance. New Z4 specs seem to show that.
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      12-31-2018, 12:24 PM   #202
Fasteddy1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
My guess is that the car's original ECU programing is sensing something askew w/ the piggyback tunes. May not be a major error, but enough to throw a CEL.

Dialing back the piggyback eliminates that with the .v2.

If Dinan goes w/ a Stage 2, it will likely a flash tune (as any increase to the piggy-back tune would likely cause errors). Flashing the ECU would eliminate any mis-reads or errors since the ECU would be completely changed to the new mapping.

just guessing here, but I believe the B58 has plenty of upward "wiggle-room" for performance. New Z4 specs seem to show that.
Look forward to hearing you impressions on the V2.

Any idea if the B58 in the Z4 is mechanically identical to the B58 in the M240?

Pat
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2018, 05:05 PM   #203
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Yes, design differences.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2018/10/31/b...88-horsepower/
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      01-05-2019, 05:33 PM   #204
PeterWT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i, AT, BSM

Quote:
Significant differences.
My 2017 M240i: MHD, xHP, Modded OE Intake, AA GESi 400 CPSI Cat DP, Dinan Mid-pipe, M Performance LSD & Rear Diffuser, BMS Exhaust Tips, Apex EC-7 Wheels, M-Tech Front Lip, iND Painted Mirror Caps, Smoked Reflectors
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 09:13 AM   #205
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240i

Quote:
Received a call today from my BMW/Dinan dealer. Options are:
1. Dinan will replace my .v1 w/ a .v2
2. I keep my current unit and cope w/ any future CELs.

I asked if the option for a new harness was offered. Was told "no". He surmised that Dinan would rather replace any .v1 w/ a .v2 rather than swap cables going forward. Could be Dinan isn't even going w/ a harness fix anymore, rather just replace the old unit w/ a newer .v2. Given the issues, it would make sense Dinan pull the .v1 and replace w/ the .v2 if only to eliminate any future warranty work.

My dealer mentioned that the new .v2 produces less HP (I think he meant torque), but was told Dinan adjusted the throttle mapping so I would likely not notice any real performance loss. Looking at the numbers comparing Dyno reports on both units, the number differences are not that huge (consider runs made on different cars on different days). Comparing base numbers between the two dyno runs, the report on the .v2 shows (381/401) a -14 in torque on the base run compared to the .v1 (369/415) , but higher HP numbers). End numbers .v1 (414/478) vs. (418/434) for the .v2. Additional runs could add torque back to the .V2 and lower its HP numbers.

Since I don't race, and don't drive the car hard, Dinan and dealers are likely correct that I won't notice any significant change in acceleration.

I told him to order the .v2 just so I won't worry about future CEL's. The Stage 2 when available will be probably mine too. Whether owning a .v1 or .v2 will not change Stage 2 functionality. Additionally, If I decide to stay w/ just a Stage 1, I shouldn't have an CEL issues going forward. Something I could not count on if I kept the .v1

I really like this car and was planning on keeping well beyond the warranty period (something I don't normally do). Main reason I decided to opt for the .v2.

I will report back after.v2 install w/ my impressions between the two.
just curious how you are liking the v2? any issues with your car? I currently have the v1 on my 2019 m240i xdrive and had zero issues the first 3 months; however, in the last month I've had the check engine light come on at least a half dozen times. car seems to still run fine but it is kind of annoying.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2019, 06:26 PM   #206
meloHYPE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Convertible / SOM

Garage List
I have the v2, and have hand no issues. Bought the car 5 weeks ago, and immediately had the tune installed, so I can’t compare to stock.
Appreciate 1
      01-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #207
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meloHYPE View Post
I have the v2, and have hand no issues. Bought the car 5 weeks ago, and immediately had the tune installed, so I can’t compare to stock.
that's good to hear!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #208
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblaucoupe135 View Post
just curious how you are liking the v2? any issues with your car? I currently have the v1 on my 2019 m240i xdrive and had zero issues the first 3 months; however, in the last month I've had the check engine light come on at least a half dozen times. car seems to still run fine but it is kind of annoying.
My .v2 hasn't arrived to my dealer yet. Still have the .v1 w/ a CEL illuminated.
Popped for no apparent reason. Was not doing anything but driving. Car still runs fine. Maybe I should just keep the .v1 and put some tape over the CEL.
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2019, 06:06 PM   #209
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My .v2 hasn't arrived to my dealer yet. Still have the .v1 w/ a CEL illuminated.
Popped for no apparent reason. Was not doing anything but driving. Car still runs fine. Maybe I should just keep the .v1 and put some tape over the CEL.
haha yeah maybe you should. mine goes off after several cycles of the engine. does your stay on all the time cause that would be super annoying?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #210
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

I have yet to see it go off on it's own, of course I have not been driving the car that much w/ all the "snowbirds" down here.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 03:29 PM   #211
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Did some errands to day and Lo and behold the CEL went off. Since performance was unaffected and the error is self correcting and I plan to go w/ a Stage 2 when available, maybe I'll stand pat w/ the .v1.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #212
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Did some errands to day and Lo and behold the CEL went off. Since performance was unaffected and the error is self correcting and I plan to go w/ a Stage 2 when available, maybe I'll stand pat w/ the .v1.
glad to hear it went off. I too am wondering if I should just wait, but the dinan guy at my bmw dealership told me he thinks the flash is a long ways out so not sure if I should wait it out or not, especially given how many CELs I've had recently.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #213
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Yeah me too. Not exactly the scenario is signed up for when I had it installed, but way better than going into "limp mode" or worse.

My car has thrown 3 CEL's since the .v1 install. Two were cleared at the dealership w/ the same code shown. The first time I brought the car in I was told the CEL was in the process of clearing itself. The last time, I figured I'd just drive the car for a while and see if the code cleared on it's own.

Mine cycled off after about 40 miles and 4 stops and starts (initially threw the CEL on the way home (last outing). Parked car, and then did the 40 mile errand run w/ 3 stops at different stores (so total of 4 cycles since throwing the CEL). After the restart on stop 4, I looked and the CEL was gone.

My understanding is the the Stage 2 should become available sometime this year. Q1 would be nice, but fully expect it to follow later in the year. Q2 would be nice but would bet Q3 more likely.

The little 2'er is an amazing car. Plan was to keep this car long term as it sees very few miles each year. I know I'll never use its full potential, but still nice to know its there.

We'll see how things transpire going forward.
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      01-30-2019, 01:22 PM   #214
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Yeah me too. Not exactly the scenario is signed up for when I had it installed, but way better than going into "limp mode" or worse.

My car has thrown 3 CEL's since the .v1 install. Two were cleared at the dealership w/ the same code shown. The first time I brought the car in I was told the CEL was in the process of clearing itself. The last time, I figured I'd just drive the car for a while and see if the code cleared on it's own.

Mine cycled off after about 40 miles and 4 stops and starts (initially threw the CEL on the way home (last outing). Parked car, and then did the 40 mile errand run w/ 3 stops at different stores (so total of 4 cycles since throwing the CEL). After the restart on stop 4, I looked and the CEL was gone.

My understanding is the the Stage 2 should become available sometime this year. Q1 would be nice, but fully expect it to follow later in the year. Q2 would be nice but would bet Q3 more likely.

The little 2'er is an amazing car. Plan was to keep this car long term as it sees very few miles each year. I know I'll never use its full potential, but still nice to know its there.

Q1 in development usually means late Q2 or early Q3
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 06:09 PM   #215
mblaucoupe135
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

yeah i hear you. I've also been paying close attention to how i'm driving the car and particularly accelerating to see if I can figure out if it is something I am doing that might be causing the CEL. also, although the extra power is nice with the stage 1, I do feel that it isn't the smoothest tune and is quite inconsistent at times. specifically, sometimes I feel like it pulls like a freight train when I stomp on it and at other times the power seems underwhelming. maybe it's just me but has anyone else experienced this too?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2019, 08:50 PM   #216
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Q1 in development usually means late Q2 or early Q3
Ouch. Not typically wrong but hopefully we can beat those lofty "expectations".
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      01-31-2019, 08:03 AM   #217
marcthedark
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Ouch. Not typically wrong but hopefully we can beat those lofty "expectations".
Hope so too as these were just my experiences with any vendors/projects,... and not specific to Dinan
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2019, 09:09 AM   #218
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcthedark View Post
Hope so too as these were just my experiences with any vendors/projects,... and not specific to Dinan
No offense taken. I purposefully avoid the phrase "2 weeks" as a rule of thumb and try not to give any dates or specific estimations unless either:

a) forced to do so by upper management
b) finished product is in the building and release is imminent

Under promise and over deliver and all that.
Appreciate 1
Scadam245.50
      01-31-2019, 10:45 AM   #219
USA-RET
Captain
Rep

Quote:
yeah i hear you. I've also been paying close attention to how i'm driving the car and particularly accelerating to see if I can figure out if it is something I am doing that might be causing the CEL. also, although the extra power is nice with the stage 1, I do feel that it isn't the smoothest tune and is quite inconsistent at times. specifically, sometimes I feel like it pulls like a freight train when I stomp on it and at other times the power seems underwhelming. maybe it's just me but has anyone else experienced this too?
Mine has been very consistent. Although I rarely use more than 1/2-3/4 throttle at any time. Living in a city, where speed limits are 45-50MPH, I find myself 10MPH over way to easily. Plenty of LE around too.

Two of my three CEL's popped for no reason at all. I was just driving the car like a Prius or Civic and saw the Light on. The other time (which was my second CEL of the three), I had the car in Sport and the shifter to M/S, did a relatively hard acceleration from 10 MPH to about 60 MPH and released the gas. Looked and the CEL was on.

So I am thinking it doesn't really matter how you drive the car or what mode it is in, the ECU is reading something that it doesn't like and pops the light.

Since the CEL isn't a major fault (other than from the owners perspective of seeing it on their $50K + car), hoping the Stage 2 (which I will purchase), remedies the issue.

I'm curious if any M240i owner would care to comment on the .v2 stage 1 comparing it to the .v1. Any CEL's? Do you notice a performance hit?
Appreciate 2
      01-31-2019, 12:51 PM   #220
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:
Yes I feel the same inconsistencies as you.

In fact I decided to test this yesterday because lately it feels like the car isnt pulling very hard.

I turned the tune off and, if anything, it pulls harder with the tune off!!

Then other times with the tune on it pulls scary fast.

Another thing I've noticed is that sometimes the app wont find or connect to the module at all. Sometimes it drops connection in the middle of communicating with it.

I think that these modules might be glitching or turning on/off randomly which could be causing the consistency perception.

I've already had my harness replaced and everything seemed fine for a few months but now I feel like sometimes when I start the car there is no extra power. The only thing I can say is my car does not throw codes since I've gotten a new harness.

I very much feel the tune is inconsistent.

Dinan_Engineering do you have any ideas what this could be?
I am hesitant to take this into the dealer because no CEL is on and, like others have mentioned, its not consistent. Odds are dealer is going to tell me they can find nothing and it will be 2-4 hours of wasted time for me.
Appreciate 1